Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
potg5.jpg

Thank you and goodnight :bigwave:

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
So on the news this very night car manufacturers in Britain warning that unless the negotiated Brexit rules are changed they will not be able to export profitably and will have to close down some plants with significant job losses and knock on effects in other industries.
Of course committed Brexiteers will come back instantly saying that is the fault of the negotiations. Only trouble being that it was their hero BJ who did those negotiations without really having a genuine plan in his head.
If only those manufacturers could have access to a multi national free trade block ...................................Oh

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
So on the news this very night car manufacturers in Britain warning that unless the negotiated Brexit rules are changed they will not be able to export profitably and will have to close down some plants with significant job losses and knock on effects in other industries.
800,000 jobs on the line apparently. That's quite a lot isn't it?

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I am confused. A French owned company say they can't source 45% of components from the UK & EU. If that is the case how can car manufacturers in the EU source 45% of their components? Or don't the same rules apply.

Genuine question so don't want any shouty, shouty replies.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I am confused. A French owned company say they can't source 45% of components from the UK & EU. If that is the case how can car manufacturers in the EU source 45% of their components? Or don't the same rules apply.

Genuine question so don't want any shouty, shouty replies.
Ownership is completely irrelevant and the basic answer is the same rules don't apply.

Because we want to import finished products from outside of the EU into the EU our trade agreement with the EU says those products have to meet the Rules of Origin, same as for the rest of the world. If you are already in the EU selling to the EU, you are not importing finished goods into the EU and not subject to Rules of origin within a trade agreement. It's one of many major advantages of being within a trading bloc.

More here :thumbsup:

https://trade.ec.europa.eu/access-to-markets/en/content/quick-guide-working-rules-origin

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Ownership is completely irrelevant and the basic answer is the same rules don't apply.

Because we want to import finished products from outside of the EU into the EU our trade agreement with the EU says those products have to meet the Rules of Origin, same as for the rest of the world. If you are already in the EU selling to the EU, you are not importing finished goods into the EU and not subject to Rules of origin within a trade agreement. It's one of many major advantages of being within a trading bloc.

More here :thumbsup:

https://trade.ec.europa.eu/access-to-markets/en/content/quick-guide-working-rules-origin
Thanks, helpful but say a car manufacturer in an EU country buys a Japanese car kit and only assembles it, when they sell it in another EU country I assume it's tariff free but I guess they will have to have paid duty on the imported kit.

My comment about it being French (partially State) owned was this potentially a ploy to justify relocating to perhaps France.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks, helpful but say a car manufacturer in an EU country buys a Japanese car kit and only assembles it, when they sell it in another EU country I assume it's tariff free but I guess they will have to have paid duty on the imported kit.

My comment about it being French (partially State) owned was this potentially a ploy to justify relocating to perhaps France.

My understanding is the same as yours on the kit car :thumbsup:

And the ownership is neither here nor there. I don't believe it's a ploy to relocate to France (or anywhere else in the EU), it's simple business profitability and is hitting all motor manufacturers that build in Britain and then want to export to the EU.

Vauxhall are simply the first to call it. It was always going to be the case after Brexit, that it would be advantageous to build in the EU if that represents a major part of your market. Even the huge payments given to some of the manufacturers by the British Government to get them to remain in Britain will only last temporarily in what is simply a less profitable manufacturing environment :shrug:

Boris Johnson’s Brexit car crash has wrecked Britain’s automobile industry​

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/vauxhall-boris-johnson-brexit-b2340518.html

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd be out if it meant we had less layers of government but also had sensible government as opposed to governance by headlines. Not happening.

Economically, and for a number of other reasons, it makes more sense to be in the European Union. So if there was another vote, I'd wrote to remain. As I did before.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
I'd be out if it meant we had less layers of government but also had sensible government as opposed to governance by headlines. Not happening.

Economically, and for a number of other reasons, it makes more sense to be in the European Union. So if there was another vote, I'd wrote to remain. As I did before.

Leaving the EU, always, meant 'less' layers of government, whereas expecting 'sensible' governance' is a meaningless term as its entirely subjective (usually meaning agreeing with my pov).

If the EU was a straightforward trade block we would still be members.

The overwhelming majority of the political/ economic establishment in the UK (Tories/Labour/Lib Dem) have spent decades persuading people there is only one acceptable path, as they get richer/benefit, so no surprise many of the gullible electorate continually swallow this line.

I

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Given what has occured since Brexit there surely isn't a right minded person that would vote leave if there was another referendum now?

Although I guess the same charlatans and liars are still about spreading their lies.

Although, did I see Farage admitting that the whole thing has been a disaster? Not his fault of course.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Leaving the EU, always, meant 'less' layers of government,
Not true. For example, food safety regulations for all of Europe could be managed by one EU organisation. After Brexit the UK doesn’t have less food safety regulation, it removes the EU part but adds a new UK part. So the result of Brexit is more civil servants, not less. And the UK also has to mange the fact that trading with countries that have different regulations requires even more staff to check the differences. So it’s lose - lose.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Not true. For example, food safety regulations for all of Europe could be managed by one EU organisation. After Brexit the UK doesn’t have less food safety regulation, it removes the EU part but adds a new UK part. So the result of Brexit is more civil servants, not less. And the UK also has to mange the fact that trading with countries that have different regulations requires even more staff to check the differences. So it’s lose - lose.
You are correct.... and it is not a matter of opinion, it is an fact for Brexiters to acknowledge or not, depending on how brainwashed they are...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Given what has occured since Brexit there surely isn't a right minded person that would vote leave if there was another referendum now?
Oh I think there are a dispiriting number. Not everyone is tuned in to the news, others prefer to ignore the bad news because it’s all “Project Fear”. Others simply hate anything foreign.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When 80% of Express readers say Brexit has failed, I think you can rest assured that Brexit has failed :dunce:

Four in five agree with Nigel Farage that Brexit has 'failed' – YOU VOTED​

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1772128/brexit-nigel-farage-poll-result-spt

Well it should be an absolute piece of piss to re-negotiate what was after all, the easiest deal in History :facepalm:

Tory pressure on Rishi Sunak to redo Brexit as concerns on jobs and the economy grow​

Rishi Sunak is coming under increasing pressure from his own MPs to rework the Brexit deal in a bid to improve trading terms with the EU in the wake of growing business concerns. Industry leaders have warned this week that the current Trade and Co-operation Agreement (TCA) signed by Boris Johnson in 2020 risked the UK car industry facing an “existential threat”.

And with each further step of Brexit that gets 'done' it just gets worse and more industries get destroyed. If you think food inflation is bad now, wait until October when we actually implement some 'taking back control' import processes, after delaying them 4 times. These are the ones that JRM, after he campaigned for them, recently called 'an act of self harm'.

How much longer should we let this complete farce continue to destroy the British economy until someone does the sensible thing and rejoins the Customs Union/Single Market and maybe limits the impact of this complete clusterf*** to a decade or two. Shirley the results within 2.5 years of it actually happening are clear enough for even the most deluded :shootself

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IMG_0381.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here