Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not really an excuse, you should be checking, they change all the time.

If he was that excited to see his son you would have thought he would have checked everything was in order?

It's been well advertised to check and would have been advised to check when booking !
It was six months.

I've just looked up the Post Office website.

Eurotunnel also says six months.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Alistair Campbell’s performance on Newsnight just now against the looney Brexiteer was very funny! 🤣

He then when on a rant about the presenter and the BBC not challenging Brexit dogma. I think he has a point.
The delightful looney Brexiteer, Alex Phillips, who lied about working for Cambridge Analytica, and then admitted it working in Kenya in their election. She joined UKIP, was an MEP, then the Brexit Party, and is now Reform. A female Farage.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Brilliant article. And very saddening. He’s right, the U.K. is in serious decline and nothing seems able to stop that now.
It's ironic how so many supposed "patiots" have ended up voting to harm the nation they claim to love

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
easyJet staff refused to allow her to board a flight to Paris to see her son, who is studying there, because her UK passport had been issued 10 years and one day previously.

It was six months.

[/URL].[/URL]
From that link:

other countries such as China, Thailand, Egypt and Turkey need at least six months. Always check the specific entry requirements for the country you are visiting on the GOV.UK website. You should make sure that your passport meets the following rules:

• The passport issue date is less than 10 years before day of arrival in the EU
It was six months.

Eurotunnel also says six months.

UK passport holders - If you are travelling from the UK to the EU, the UK government recommend you have 6 months left on your passport, the minimum 3 months validity required from the date that you return plus up to 90 days to travel without a visa. Even if it has more than 6 months left, your passport must be less than 10 years old. Full requirements can be found on gov.uk.

Must be less than 10 years old

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Am I wrong is thinking a passport only last 10 years?

What is the drama in a passport that is over ten years being rejected? Surely it has expired?

What am I missing?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
easyJet staff refused to allow her to board a flight to Paris to see her son, who is studying there, because her UK passport had been issued 10 years and one day previously.

From that link:

other countries such as China, Thailand, Egypt and Turkey need at least six months. Always check the specific entry requirements for the country you are visiting on the GOV.UK website. You should make sure that your passport meets the following rules:

• The passport issue date is less than 10 years before day of arrival in the EU

UK passport holders - If you are travelling from the UK to the EU, the UK government recommend you have 6 months left on your passport, the minimum 3 months validity required from the date that you return plus up to 90 days to travel without a visa. Even if it has more than 6 months left, your passport must be less than 10 years old. Full requirements can be found on gov.uk.

Must be less than 10 years old
So why did @Guinness Boy mention 8 months on post 126,077?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
If only you hadn't claimed I posted the original tweet nobody would have spotted you hadn't actually read the thread!
Good reply !

The punchline is, I did read the thread, but still managed to get it wrong anyway !

P.S. My passport is invalid on two counts - issue date and expiry date. As it has already expired, I guess it is also invalid on a third count in that I don't have 6 months remaining on it either.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If most assumed, the airport would be full of people in the same situation, they are not.
The reason the airports are not full of people in the same situation is because the issue only affects the passport for a slither of a time window, and then only for people who renewed their passport early.

If someone has been routinely travelling between the UK and and EU I can understand why they might overlook this.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But looking on the bright side, at least destroying the British fishing industry won't effect the price of Cod and chi..... Oh :facepalm:

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No, these are the import controls (remember 'Taking Back Control' ?) which were supposed to be put in place when we left, have now been pushed back 4 times because of the impact on Food inflation and food availability. The ones that Jacob Rees-Mogg has since called 'an act of self harm'.

Incidentally, they are also the ones which had the announcement last month of a further £1 Billion to be spent on infrastructure and systems before they can be implemented.

Britain has set out plans to simplify and speed up post-Brexit border checks after repeated delays that the government previously blamed on the COVID-19 pandemic and then the war in Ukraine. The new model announced on Wednesday will be backed by more than 1 billion pounds ($1.25 billion) in spending

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/po...g-into-uk-be-streamlined-sky-news-2023-04-05/

But you keep your fingers in your ears and keep claiming 'project fear' is causing all these problems, it's worked a treat so far as people sink into the total and utter clusterf*** the British economy has predictably become. Maybe people just need to be more positive :dunce:

Isn't this warning coming from these food chiefs an bit like:

The warning by the head of the bank of England issued in November last year, where they said:
The Bank of England has warned the UK is facing its longest recession since records began

How about the Head of the IMF saying back in January that the UK will be in recession?

However you dress it up it's still only an opinion and maybe, should no action be taken (ie no work put into things like contingency planning, or time and or money being spent to try to identify potential hold ups and find solutions to ensure business as usual (such as the Government trying to find ways to speed up import / export checks, through to individual retailers finding portential solutions such as buying in extra stock and holding it in the UK, ready to distribute should imports slow, etc...) then the food chiefs predictions may actually end up happening to some extent, but there people out there whose roles are to plan for, and try to prevent these kind of scenarios from playing out, helping to avoid any such crisis (roles such as supermarket buyers, etc) so these sorts of predictions don't become a reality and that we aren't left with these potential food shortages and empty shelves

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
It frustrates me beyond belief that passports were originally created to allow people safe travel around the world, now they are used to hem people in.

I hate that global society is so intent on creating artificial barriers instead of letting people go where they want and identify as belonging to wherever they are.

There is no need for any of it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The reason the airports are not full of people in the same situation is because the issue only affects the passport for a slither of a time window, and then only for people who renewed their passport early.

If someone has been routinely travelling between the UK and and EU I can understand why they might overlook this.
At the time we officially left there was just over a million people in/approaching the dead zone, which was 2021?

Plus the numbers that would have reached the 10 year mark after that.

It's not a tiny amount of people, would certainly be a larger issue if it was the majority.

I agree, people might over look it - but it's not anyone else's fault for doing so, it takes 30 seconds to check The FCDO/other websites.

All this doesn't change from Brexit being a terrible idea.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

The warning by the head of the bank of England issued in November last year, where they said:

How about the Head of the IMF saying back in January that the UK will be in recession?

However you dress it up it's still only an opinion and maybe, should no action be taken (ie no work put into things like contingency planning, or time and or money being spent to try to identify potential hold ups and find solutions to ensure business as usual (such as the Government trying to find ways to speed up import / export checks, through to individual retailers finding portential solutions such as buying in extra stock and holding it in the UK, ready to distribute should imports slow, etc...) then the food chiefs predictions may actually end up happening to some extent, but there people out there whose roles are to plan for, and try to prevent these kind of scenarios from playing out, helping to avoid any such crisis (roles such as supermarket buyers, etc) so these sorts of predictions don't become a reality and that we aren't left with these potential food shortages and empty shelves

However you dress it up it's still only an opinion and maybe, should no action be taken (ie no work put into things like contingency planning, or time and or money being spent to try to identify potential hold ups and find solutions to ensure business as usual (such as the Government trying to find ways to speed up import / export checks, through to individual retailers finding portential solutions such as buying in extra stock and holding it in the UK, ready to distribute should imports slow, etc...)

You seem a little confused, you are aware this is Imports we are talking about, export checks are not our government's responsibility and the EU introduced the export checks nearly 3 years before the UK is 'currently planning' to reciprocate ???

So you are of the opinion that when the Government finally get round to introducing Import controls on food from the EU, (after delaying it four times already because of the negative impact), that it will not effect the cost or availability of those goods if the right plans are in place. And this opinion is despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary from when the EU introduced the reciprocal rules for British exports the day after 'The Transition Period' ended 2.5 years ago and the associated impact on British exporters since then :facepalm:

And obviously this opinion is reinforced by the marvellous job this Government has made with all it's other preparations for Brexit :dunce:

You put together such a well informed, detailed case dealing with the actual issues of the impending Import controls, rather than indulging in pointless whataboutery, that I'm beginning to think that maybe you are really a brilliant political satirist :wink:

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

No, it isn't.

If you were to read the article you linked to, you would have seen this:

'Bank boss Andrew Bailey warned of a "tough road ahead" for UK households, but said it had to act forcefully now or things "will be worse later on".
That was when it raised interest rates to 3%. But those interest rates are now 4.5%. In other words, the BoE is doing what it said it would do, to avoid worse later on.
The BoE has averted the recession that would have happened, had it not acted forcefully. For this, you criticise the BoE for 'getting its prediction wrong'.

But do you see another problem with your argument?

You are claiming that because you (wrongly) believe the BoE made a mistake in its prediction of the UK going into recession, the prediction of food shortages by food sector chiefs, should therefore be dismissed. Have you ever come across the term 'non sequitur'?

Your argument is that all predictions that may be construed as critical of Brexit, should be dismissed out of hand. All of them.

That's project fear for you. It did the millions who voted leave, a profound disservice.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The architects of Brexit now blaming one another for the fact it's a complete and total disaster on every front. You really couldn't make it up

Downing Street rejects Farage’s ‘Brexit has failed’ claim​

Downing Street has denied an accusation from former Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage that Britain’s European Union exit “has failed”. Mr Farage accused the Conservative Government of mismanaging Brexit since the UK left the bloc in 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...treet-rishi-sunak-uk-government-b2339809.html

Except for the fact that these are the people who did 'make it up' and millions fell for it hook, line and sinker, voting for it and then voting for anyone who claimed they could actually implement it despite all evidence to the contrary.

Those same people now can't understand how Britain has managed to get itself into this current economic, infrastructural and services clusterf*** with absolutely no hope of any way out for another 18 months :shootself

I just hope people took my advice when it became clear what Johnson and this current cabal were going to do once elected on their 'Get Brexit done' ticket.
I think you are seriously under-estimating the cult that is Boris Johnson.

I believe we are already set for decades of struggle as a nation, but it isn't going to stop for a good while yet, whilst he has this 'spell' over his target audience. I'm afraid that personally, I thought quite a long time back that the best we can do is batten down the hatches, protect what you've got and try and take the position of bemused bystander.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The architects of Brexit now blaming one another for the fact it's a complete and total disaster on every front. You really couldn't make it up

Downing Street rejects Farage’s ‘Brexit has failed’ claim​

Downing Street has denied an accusation from former Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage that Britain’s European Union exit “has failed”. Mr Farage accused the Conservative Government of mismanaging Brexit since the UK left the bloc in 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...treet-rishi-sunak-uk-government-b2339809.html

Except for the fact that these are the people who did 'make it up' and millions fell for it hook, line and sinker, voting for it and then voting for anyone who claimed they could actually implement it despite all evidence to the contrary.

Those same people now can't understand how Britain has managed to get itself into this current economic, infrastructural and services clusterf*** with absolutely no hope of any way out for another 18 months :shootself

I just hope people took my advice when it became clear what Johnson and this current cabal were going to do once elected on their 'Get Brexit done' ticket.
Interesting that the queen of weak irony continues to give the thumbs up to your comments. Obviously the whole process has failed to alter his/her robustly insentient sensibilities..... and no doubt other terminally Brexit lovers will do the same thing for the same reason....

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting that the queen of weak irony continues to give the thumbs up to your comments. Obviously the whole process has failed to alter his/her robustly insentient sensibilities.....

Well I think sadly that with people struggling to pay their bills, feed themselves and trying to keep themselves out of debt, we've gone way beyond the point where a 'funny one liner' would appear anything other than totally moronic :shrug:

And I bet my case will be proven within 30 seconds :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here