Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
I countered one of the points previously,
  • Foreign direct investment (FDI) into the UK has held up well since 2016 in contrast to predictions that it would slump after Brexit. Greenfield FDI into the UK rose by a third between 2016 and 2021 and was the highest of any large European economy in every year in this period.

Some EU based businesses have of course set up subsiduaries in the UK to counter some of the issues of trading between EU and UK post Brexit, looking at that without subtracting the likes of Easy Jet and many other businesses shifting the bulk of their operations away from the UK and into the EU and the loss of EU agencies that were UK based, particularly the EMA, is nonsense.
Lloyds of London will be Lloyds of Brussells for EU business, Panasonic and Sony had EU headquarters in the UK, now in the Netherlands.

• Far from collapsing as some claim, UK trade with the EU has fully recovered after some initial disruption, despite increased trade frictions. Underlying trade levels are close to long-term trends. The UK’s trade balance with the EU has improved – implying a boost to growth – and even sectors like food and fish have seen exports to the EU proving remarkably resilient.
This one is just not true, the pandemic saw some wild fluctuations, and if you cherry pick the month there are one or two where the balance is better, but in most it is worse.
Bear in mind the graph is also in GBP, which you need a few more of post 2016 to buy the same amount of goods from the EU.

This report was out a month after the article you reference.
https://www.aston.ac.uk/latest-news/brexit-changes-caused-229-slump-uk-eu-exports-q1-2022-research

The only really fair point the article you reference makes, is that it is too soon to expect to see any beneficial result from Brexit, I mean, I don't really expect to see anything ever, but it will take time to dredge the Tees and kill off all the Marine life in the area to create the Freeport and associated warehouses. Once that has been built, we are selling Pork to South Korea, and maybe get some other trade deals done, we can really see how all the disruption and loss of freedoms and protections in the EU really has changed our lives for the better, or not.

In the mean time, we can just look on at what we are losing, and try and keep track so that when we get that "Brexit Dividend" we can tell whether it is just a 90th minute consolation goal, a lifeline to avoid relegation to L1, or a match winner.

My apologies, I must have missed it as the reply was a considerable amount of time after my post. Saying that your response doesn't seem to be really serious/credible as trying to explain away strong inward investment amounting to Billions of Dollars as some EU-based businesses setting up subsidiaries in the Uk seems a bit silly.

As to your other link, the balance fluctuates but does support the view that underlying trade levels are close to long-term trends. Net foreign investment seems to be doing reasonably well this year.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
My apologies, I must have missed it as the reply was a considerable amount of time after my post. Saying that your response doesn't seem to be really serious/credible as trying to explain away strong inward investment amounting to Billions of Dollars as some EU-based businesses setting up subsidiaries in the Uk seems a bit silly.

As to your other link, the balance fluctuates but does support the view that underlying trade levels are close to long-term trends. Net foreign investment seems to be doing reasonably well this year.

so you've committed to this as the first brexit bonus!

that'll take the edge off!

you've got some balls jace, hang in there!

a generation or two, and the sunlit uplands!

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
You mean the report authored by Julian Jessop , fellow of right wing think tank the Institute of Economic Affairs, who were the ‘brains’ behind the Liz Truss & Kwasi Kwarteng budget? He also describes himself as a “Brexit optimist” which perhaps indicates the degree of objectivity in the report.

Another author is Harry Western, which is the pen name of someone who ‘wants to remain anonymous’ who recently wrote “From Project Fear to Project BS” for Briefings for Britain.

The third is Graham Gudgin, former advisor to hard line Brexiteer Lord Trimble and policy advisor to right wing think tank Policy Exchange and author for BrexitCentral.

Yes that report, the author's information is freely available on the site I haven't noticed anyone claiming they are completely objective ... The report seems to be a serious and interesting piece of research have you read it? Any criticisms?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes that report, the author's information is freely available on the site I haven't noticed anyone claiming they are completely objective ... The report seems to be a serious and interesting piece of research have you read it? Any criticisms?

Not completely objective? How about totally discredited!

Jesus! you lot are easily fooled.

The fact that it’s taken you six years to come up with a solitary, highly questionable benefit of Brexit (not forgetting one posters’ bumper haul of duty free fags) should tell you something.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
And then there's.....

So, I think we've probably established without much doubt that JCFG and Wokeworrier are one and the same.

And now that we have, two things. Firstly, while it's amusingly incompetent, it has little to do with Brexit. So @WATFORD zero there's literally no need to mention it again.

And @Wokeworrier here's a repost of the response your last ever post on that old account got, as you may have missed it during your short ban. It came, not from me, but from someone who got so fed up with sorting out the playground politics he's taken himself off the moderating team and NSC. I can say without fear of contradiction that the whole moderating team would rather have his sensible, considered posts and incredibly quick one liners back than ever read another one of your posts again. Yet, for now, here you are exercising your freedom of speech by linking to exactly the same biased report you did on your old account :shrug:

Amusing post. If Bry Nylon was still moderating @WATFORD zero would be permanently banned .... if only.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Oh my, the report is based on bollocks, written for the consumption of fools …. Try not to get indigestion.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Amusing post. If Bry Nylon was still moderating @WATFORD zero would be permanently banned .... if only.

It doesn't make what he posted to you any less valid. In fact, the only difference is that WZ's kept the same user ID since the Bear Pit peak and you and one other haven't.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

'Brexit is terrible! A weak cry for help from Britons living abroad in the face of the brexit tragedy'​

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not completely objective? How about totally discredited!

Jesus! you lot are easily fooled.

The fact that it’s taken you six years to come up with a solitary, highly questionable benefit of Brexit (not forgetting one posters’ bumper haul of duty free fags) should tell you something.
The article has the IEA's paw prints on all it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes, articles written by those with pen names of those who write articles called ‘From Project Fear to Project BS’ can’t be taken seriously

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

The report you referenced mentioned "Greenfield" FDI specifically as being high growth since 2016, and this is what I attribute largely to the need for a UK subsidiary post Brexit.

Net FDI is not particularly useful in comparing the value of gaining £3B of yankee investment in buying Chelsea FC, to losing tax revenues from a company like Easy Jet and it's employees forever.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It doesn't make what he posted to you any less valid. In fact, the only difference is that WZ's kept the same user ID since the Bear Pit peak and you and one other haven't.
Time to drain the swamp?

Drain.PNG

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah.

I'm pretty sure those two are not the same person and I'm pretty sure that people not concerned with moderating the site trying to "help" has the opposite effect.
Fair enough.

I hope you enjoyed the ironic thumbs up, though.

I wonder if I'll get one?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah. Not my first and won't be my last. In fact, maybe THIS post....?
:lolol:

I wasn't suggesting the two chaps are one and the same, btw. The top one has previously been disclosed as potty, but not P.......

But I should probably keep my tedious comments to myself. It is what it is.

And it could be worse. . . . . with banks of fog predicted for the weekend....and that ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here