Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I countered one of the points previously,
  • Foreign direct investment (FDI) into the UK has held up well since 2016 in contrast to predictions that it would slump after Brexit. Greenfield FDI into the UK rose by a third between 2016 and 2021 and was the highest of any large European economy in every year in this period.

Some EU based businesses have of course set up subsiduaries in the UK to counter some of the issues of trading between EU and UK post Brexit, looking at that without subtracting the likes of Easy Jet and many other businesses shifting the bulk of their operations away from the UK and into the EU and the loss of EU agencies that were UK based, particularly the EMA, is nonsense.
Lloyds of London will be Lloyds of Brussells for EU business, Panasonic and Sony had EU headquarters in the UK, now in the Netherlands.

• Far from collapsing as some claim, UK trade with the EU has fully recovered after some initial disruption, despite increased trade frictions. Underlying trade levels are close to long-term trends. The UK’s trade balance with the EU has improved – implying a boost to growth – and even sectors like food and fish have seen exports to the EU proving remarkably resilient.
This one is just not true, the pandemic saw some wild fluctuations, and if you cherry pick the month there are one or two where the balance is better, but in most it is worse.
Bear in mind the graph is also in GBP, which you need a few more of post 2016 to buy the same amount of goods from the EU.

This report was out a month after the article you reference.
https://www.aston.ac.uk/latest-news/brexit-changes-caused-229-slump-uk-eu-exports-q1-2022-research

The only really fair point the article you reference makes, is that it is too soon to expect to see any beneficial result from Brexit, I mean, I don't really expect to see anything ever, but it will take time to dredge the Tees and kill off all the Marine life in the area to create the Freeport and associated warehouses. Once that has been built, we are selling Pork to South Korea, and maybe get some other trade deals done, we can really see how all the disruption and loss of freedoms and protections in the EU really has changed our lives for the better, or not.

In the mean time, we can just look on at what we are losing, and try and keep track so that when we get that "Brexit Dividend" we can tell whether it is just a 90th minute consolation goal, a lifeline to avoid relegation to L1, or a match winner.
Not really. I'd like the government and / or those that still support Brexit to tell me why my children and their children should pick up the tab for this because future generations will pay the cost. I'd rather pay public servants a decent wage, end the strikes and invest in the UK than keep pouring money down the drain on Brexit

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes, yes it has but a few radicalised individuals use it as a sort of therapeutic echo chamber of despair. Weird.

I'm still waiting for one of the many 'solution finders' :lolol: to address or counter the interesting points raised in the link I posted some time ago...

You mean the report authored by Julian Jessop , fellow of right wing think tank the Institute of Economic Affairs, who were the ‘brains’ behind the Liz Truss & Kwasi Kwarteng budget? He also describes himself as a “Brexit optimist” which perhaps indicates the degree of objectivity in the report.

Another author is Harry Western, which is the pen name of someone who ‘wants to remain anonymous’ who recently wrote “From Project Fear to Project BS” for Briefings for Britain.

The third is Graham Gudgin, former advisor to hard line Brexiteer Lord Trimble and policy advisor to right wing think tank Policy Exchange and author for BrexitCentral.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'd like to talk about two trips I made to Germany, one was just last week (19 to 23 Dec 22) and one was exactly 5 years prior.
Car travel. In 2017 I had to arrange car insurance and breakdown cover on top of what I had in the UK. 2022 it is included in my policy (yes, correct way round).
Mobile phone. Full use of my phone as if at home both times.
Passports. Took longer this time and slight delay despite being very busy.
Duty Free. 2017 was unlimited. 2022 200 cigs per person. Should point out I filled my car with fuel 25p a litre cheaper than UK.
We made our usual stop at the Belgium duty free stores in Adinkerke and whilst pre brexit these stores were full of Brits stocking up they were now much smaller and dealing more with French popping over the border for cigarettes.
That’s very nice. I’m glad people are able to get their fags. Shame Besxit has also fa led the economy and
Yes, yes it has but a few radicalised individuals use it as a sort of therapeutic echo chamber of despair. Weird.

I'm still waiting for one of the many 'solution finders' :lolol: to address or counter the interesting points raised in the link I posted some time ago...

Not very observant, are you.

Reactions: cjd

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

They get answered each and every time you post an article from there

I see some moron didn't read the post I was replying to which was about "sorting us out with jabs whilst getting the economy shifting again" :dunce:

Meanwhile, more positivity ...

Rising confidence set to drive economic rebound

The economy is poised to roar back to life amid high levels of business and consumer confidence, improving job prospects and a buoyant stock market.

https://www.briefingsforbritain.co.uk/uk-eu-trade-rebounds-in-february-what-now-for-project-fear/

Seemingly the only NSC poster who ever does post links to that site :facepalm:

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Your posts remind me strongly of 'JC Footy Genius'. Was that you?

If you are comfortable responding with 'yes' or 'no', I for one will accept your answer as the truth.

Of course I fully understand if you don't want to answer, having decided to leave the past behind and reinvent yourself (albeit not your values and attitudes)

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Funnily enough, JC Footy Genius used to post links to them endlessly.
The same old line of - impoverish your country today because some future positive financial prediction with a tenuous or no link to being outside the EU, of which none have come to fruition yet. JCFG is obvs in the minority of Leave voters or the idealogues from below

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

this is where satire finally died

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I don't think we'll be listening to the Tufton Street mouthpieces JC, they got their postergirl and it failed in 6 weeks

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
This government have drawn up the "Retained EU law bill" which seeks to remove around 4,000 EU laws, many of them diminish workers rights including equal pay for women. Tragic

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They get answered each and every time you post an article from there

Seemingly the only NSC poster who ever does post links to that site :facepalm:
And then there's.....

Alternatively, he may just have forgotten NSC is a hotbed of radicalised lefties unable to afford a Times subscription ... :p

Not all that interesting in my view but ...

Amanda Staveley ‘didn’t have the funds’ to buy Newcastle stake, claims Mike Ashley

Neither Amanda Staveley nor her firm, PCP Capital Partners, “had the funds necessary” to buy her 10 per cent stake in Newcastle United, according to a lawsuit brought by the club’s former owner, Mike Ashley – in stark contradiction of her insistence that family money and the sale of a hotel was used to buy the shares.

The legal action states that fellow consortium members, the Reuben brothers, lent £30.5 million to Staveley’s company, Cantervale Ltd, for the 10 per cent shareholding. It adds that Ashley’s company, St James Holdings Ltd (SJHL), lent her a further £10 million on October 7 as she was “also unable to meet the advisory, legal and other costs and commissions associated with” the takeover.

The High Court filing by SJHL demands the immediate repayment of the £10 million plus interest, claiming that the loan conditions have been breached.

So, I think we've probably established without much doubt that JCFG and Wokeworrier are one and the same.

And now that we have, two things. Firstly, while it's amusingly incompetent, it has little to do with Brexit. So @WATFORD zero there's literally no need to mention it again.

And @Wokeworrier here's a repost of the response your last ever post on that old account got, as you may have missed it during your short ban. It came, not from me, but from someone who got so fed up with sorting out the playground politics he's taken himself off the moderating team and NSC. I can say without fear of contradiction that the whole moderating team would rather have his sensible, considered posts and incredibly quick one liners back than ever read another one of your posts again. Yet, for now, here you are exercising your freedom of speech by linking to exactly the same biased report you did on your old account :shrug:

You’ll be back from you latest ban in a few days. And when / if you do post on NSC again, you may wish to keep the following in mind.

Just so we are all clear, this isn’t a publicly-funded community centre. It’s a privately owned site, run and moderated in accordance with the wishes of the owner. The vast majority are given a fairly wide degree of licence because without exception they bring a huge amount to the board and make it what it is, so the odd indiscretion here and there is overlooked.

There are, however, a few who seem determined to bring conflict, antagonism and disruption to every thread they post on - which is generally a fairly narrow and entirely predictable spectrum of threads. So losing these posters for good would be no hardship and most likely be welcomed by most, in my opinion. Nobody has a right to post on here except the owner, but so long as members post broadly within the rules on most occasions and are happy to contribute positively then there’s no problem. However, using NSC as your personal space to conduct never ending tit-for-tat running battles most certainly isn’t on. And based on the PMs I receive and the content of the Reported Posts folder, I’m far from alone in holding that view.

Finally, and again, just so we are clear: this isn’t about which particular mast an individual’s political colours are nailed to. It’s about not taking the piss out of NSC. Because anyone that does will be gone for good,

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This government have drawn up the "Retained EU law bill" which seeks to remove around 4,000 EU laws, many of them diminish workers rights including equal pay for women. Tragic

Regulation and rewards for their mates, that all Brexit ever was to the Tory right.

Immigration and talk of sovereignty was only ever a trogan horse to manipulate segments of the working class population.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Regulation and rewards for their mates, that all Brexit ever was to the Tory right.

Immigration and talk of sovereignty was only ever a trogan horse to manipulate segments of the working class population.
Agreed.... but it looks like the tide of opinion is turning more rapidly away from Brexit...

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He has lost unfettered access to his nearest export market, faces reduction in farm subsidies as the result of the loss of the common agricultural policy (CAP), and has been disadvantaged by trade deals giving access to the UK market to rival farmers from Australia and New Zealand.

“From a sheep farmer’s point of view, there’s no good outcome from those trade deals,” says Rickman.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

It is extremely difficult to judge the sole impact of Brexit alongside the dramatic effects of Lockdown and the double whammy of the Ukranian situation. All these three factors have combined to create an economic maelstrom. The worst is yet to come. Businesses cannot cope with the dramatic rise in costs, particularly utilites. A lot of SME's will see all their profits wiped out by increased costs and company accounts will show negativity. That means a massive reduction in revenue for the government from corporation tax. Net result. The government will have to raise taxation levels. Expect all levels of duty to rise.
The Ukranian situation will not be resolved quickly and utility prices will continue at cripplingly high levels. Fuel will not drop much and the cost of goods and services will remain high in 2023. Wage demands from the public sector will come at a price. In the private sector, they will be paid for in job losses. Its gonna be a very hard and painful year ahead.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is extremely difficult to judge the sole impact of Brexit alongside the dramatic effects of Lockdown and the double whammy of the Ukranian situation. All these three factors have combined to create an economic maelstrom. The worst is yet to come. Businesses cannot cope with the dramatic rise in costs, particularly utilites. A lot of SME's will see all their profits wiped out by increased costs and company accounts will show negativity. That means a massive reduction in revenue for the government from corporation tax. Net result. The government will have to raise taxation levels. Expect all levels of duty to rise.
The Ukranian situation will not be resolved quickly and utility prices will continue at cripplingly high levels. Fuel will not drop much and the cost of goods and services will remain high in 2023. Wage demands from the public sector will come at a price. In the private sector, they will be paid for in job losses. Its gonna be a very hard and painful year ahead.
What about crime and the black economy? The police can't deal with the current level of crime, so imagine what awaits us in 2023 as rising prices really begin to bite and people become desperate. Similarly, HMRC haven't got the resources to do their job properly - hence the lack of tax enquiries and the recent postponement of Making Tax Digital for Income Tax for at least 2 more years.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
All the while that the Ukraine war continues it will be extremely difficult to calculate it's total impact on the British economy.

However, as far as Covid and Brexit are concerned, the Government's own department, the Office for Budgetary Responsibility have said that a Brexit fall in GDP of 4% would cost the country more than double what Covid cost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59070020

Current estimates are that the Brexit fall in GDP is running at 5.5% after being out of the EU for under two years.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ft-the-uk-economy-5-5-smaller-researcher-says

So apparently it's not difficult to judge the costs of the worst pandemic in over 100 years, against the costs of a self induced economic clusterf*** :shrug:

Sadly, I do agree that the worst is yet to come and 2023 will be far worse as the further effects of Brexit hit (and all the further steps still to be implemented), together with the ongoing Ukarine war.

Unfortunately, both the Ukraine war and Covid couldn't realistically have been be foreseen or prepared for, however the impact of Brexit is exactly what has been predicted for the last 6+ years, so is hardly a surprise :facepalm:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here