Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
This is brilliant.....posted in honour of Mouldy.....:blush:

[tweet]1551138151934066688[/tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wonder how many of the folks sat in cars for hours on end voted for Brexit. Sat in their cars eating crisps and cursing the French. Wishing they were already at The Black Lion eating steak and drinking warm sangria. Knowing none of these delays would be happening if we hadn't sacked Boris and if we had just sent Corbyn to Rwanda on that flight last month, Grrr!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is brilliant.....posted in honour of Mouldy.....:blush:

Please... don't tag / name check other posters simply to provoke a reaction. It really feels like after a few months, those who tend to post in the Bear Bit threads bring the same M.O to the Main Board and the whole thing goes off the rails until threads are just the same half dozen of you end up having the same toxic and entirely circular row.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
There are two principles at stake here. One is the principle of accepting the democratic mandate and working with it; the other is the principle of joining the EU. Maybe she places a higher value on democracy than on EU membership?

After all, the likes of Michael Foot, Tony Benn, and Barbara Castle were all willing and able to accept the democratic mandate in 1975 and remain in politics and government after the referendum result. It's a reasonable attitude.

You are missing the third principle - do whatever you have to and get to the top. Liz Truss is a great exponent of this principle.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wouldn’t take Mouldy’s posts entirely seriously. Some things he means and others are mickey takes. The trick is to tell the difference.
Probably best to put him on " ignore ' like the other usual pillocks. They are wind up merchants and simply by letting them exist we are storing up more problems

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Probably best to put him on " ignore ' like the other usual pillocks. They are wind up merchants and simply by letting them exist we are storing up more problems
I rather enjoy reading Mouldy's view on things. Obviously he is not going to change his mind or recognise the downsides to Brexit but he is not alone in his views. Surely is the discourse around the subject it is important to understand as many perspectives as possible?

I certainly don't think he deserves the abuse and unkindness that he has been shown on this thread.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I rather enjoy reading Mouldy's view on things. Obviously he is not going to change his mind or recognise the downsides to Brexit but he is not alone in his views. Surely is the discourse around the subject it is important to understand as many perspectives as possible?

I certainly don't think he deserves the abuse and unkindness that he has been shown on this thread.

Indeed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
simply by letting them exist we are storing up more problems

This is what worries me about the future, the refusal to accept others may have a different and perfectly valid point of view.

I personally have a very mixed up history about Brexit. I was completely against it from the off, from both a personal and overall viewpoint. When the news cam in of the vote to leave I was gutted, and rightly so as it cost me many thousands of pounds. But…….it was a democratic vote. When Boris stood on a ‘get it done’ ticket, I voted for him although I already believed that he was a complete buffoon. It was the right thing to do in my eyes, enact the will of the people.

But now the UK has an opportunity to pull together again. A new PM, maybe a GE too in the near future. But the blame game needs to stop, the electorate is polarised, and that will help nobody. Maybe one day you guys will be part of the EU again, but in the meantime fighting amongst yourselves and the refusal to consider points other than your own will do no good whatsoever.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is what worries me about the future, the refusal to accept others may have a different and perfectly valid point of view.

I read an interesting take on this the other day. The discussion was around universities and the acceptance of opposing points of view. The point that interested me was that many people expect their point of view to be accepted as valid. The piece suggested that acceptance was not what we are after (certainly in a seat of learning). The ideal situation is that points of view are respected and then challenged. The challenged part is where you find out if your ideas are valid.

This was interesting to me because I don't believe that points of view are equally weighted. One point of view may be created with little or no evidence, incorrect evidence or the Chinese whispers of third or fourth-hand experience. Whereas another may be created from quality evidence or first-hand experiences. In short, points of view have different levels of validity. We should feel comfortable enough to have our points of view challenged (in a respectful way of course) by others in order to work out how valid they are.

Unfortunately many wish to skip any kind of discussion in defense of their right to express their opinion - no matter how half-baked, illogical and based on shoddy evidence it is. I guess this boils down to the idea that although someone is entitled to express their opinion about something, others are equally entitled to tell them they are talking a load of nonsense.

Still as I have said there is no need to treat people as Mouldy has been treated on this thread - which I think, is what you were alluding to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

We don't know the actual views of any poster on NSC.
All.we know is the views of the avatar they have created.

How that facade interacts with all the other facades can be entirely response driven and in no way connected to reality.

If a character is filling up on negativity stop feeling them.
They'll dial it up to 11 looking for food.
If that doesn't work they'll end up toning down to 6 in order to get a foothold to build from.

I'm more concerned about those who feel the need to prove a character wrong despite knowing for a fact they are never, ever, ever, going to admit they were wrong.

Explain that?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
We don't know the actual views of any poster on NSC.
All.we know is the views of the avatar they have created.

How that facade interacts with all the other facades can be entirely response driven and in no way connected to reality.

If a character is filling up on negativity stop feeling them.
They'll dial it up to 11 looking for food.
If that doesn't work they'll end up toning down to 6 in order to get a foothold to build from.

I'm more concerned about those who feel the need to prove a character wrong despite knowing for a fact they are never, ever, ever, going to admit they were wrong.

Explain that?

How about Narcissism?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/basics/narcissism

Amplified by being able to type out a discourse on a football chat forum that they would never ever convey in speech face to face with a stranger in any other environment.

We know who they are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When Boris stood on a ‘get it done’ ticket, I voted for him although I already believed that he was a complete buffoon. It was the right thing to do in my eyes, enact the will of the people.

But now the UK has an opportunity to pull together again. A new PM, maybe a GE too in the near future. But the blame game needs to stop, the electorate is polarised, and that will help nobody. Maybe one day you guys will be part of the EU again, but in the meantime fighting amongst yourselves and the refusal to consider points other than your own will do no good whatsoever.

After all the damage Brexit has caused to the UK, to businesses, to many individuals and to partnerships and families, people are angry. Yes it was a vote, but it was narrow and too narrow for such a potentially seismic issue. In many other areas, anything remotely close to such a significant change requires a super-majority. The idea the nation is simply going to forget and pull together upon a new PM is even more daft than your decision to vote for Boris. This is going to rumble on for many years.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I don’t think so, many people have been murdered or suffered at the hands of supposed refugees in different European countries in recent years………its little wonder some of them are improving their systems on who comes in.

I thought you lived in Germany?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
After all the damage Brexit has caused to the UK, to businesses, to many individuals and to partnerships and families, people are angry. Yes it was a vote, but it was narrow and too narrow for such a potentially seismic issue. In many other areas, anything remotely close to such a significant change requires a super-majority. If you think the nation is simply going to forget and pull together upon a new PM then you are even more stupid than your decision to vote for Boris. This is going to rumble on for many years so you’d better get used to long queues at Dover.
Indeed.

The terrible problems facing the country need solutions suggested.

Suffering in Silence never does anyone any good.

Add to that that no one now under 25 actually got a direct say in Brexit, and it's plain that silent compliance isn't the way forward to fix the country. Lol.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Time for this to be merged with the Brexit thread in the Bear Pit me thinks. Becoming far too Brexit thread MK2.
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Time for this to be merged with the Brexit thread in the Bear Pit me thinks. Becoming far too Brexit thread MK2.

[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]
[MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION]

Really? Some valid points being made e.g. [MENTION=25402]Blue Valkyrie[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here