Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This will be all the new procedures that came in as a result of cutting off our free movement into and out of the EU which businesses have been suffering for the last 18 months and the public are just starting to experience.

We are talking about for tourists not business. The only change for non-business travel to France is that you get your passport stamped each way - a whole couple of seconds per passport extra. You always had your passport checked even before Brexit. At Dover it's always been both nations checking in each direction ( why I have no idea ) but on other routes only one each end. So I ask again, as a personal traveller, what extra procedures are in place to create the delays ? Feel free to give me your personal experiences of travelling to France and what changes you've seen.

I'm not surprised you have had no problems because Newhaven Dieppe was always highlighted as one of the key 'pinch points' throughout the Brexit discussions :facepalm:

So I wonder what could be different between Dover-Calais and Newhaven-Dieppe - you know the answer :facepalm:

And obviously you've taken advantage and joined the smugglers and Vat tax cheats that have been operating since we left the EU as a result of Britain not being able to implement any of JRM's 'act of self harm' import controls.

I only take goods that were deemed perfectly safe before Brexit but for some petty reason are now considered unacceptable. I've even declared the food once at Dieppe and the French just waved it through - couldn't have cared less. As for the smuggling and VAT tax cheat jibe - get over yourself. I've paid the appropriate goods tax in each country.

So what, exactly have the French done to 'create' this staffing issue after all these years that is 'nothing to do with Brexit' :dunce:

Yet even the French have admitted that it was a lack of staff because some got caught up in the tunnel technical issue but clearly you know better than them. The technical issue at the tunnel, the RTA on the M20 as well as Dover not having the capacity to cope with the surge of passengers - something that's been the case for years because of road infrastructure and the poor design of the port - are what have caused this issue. Nothing to do with Brexit.

Look forward to hearing your personal experiences of how Brexit has effected your travel experience to France.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm thinking that a lot of people could have saved themselves a whole world of pain if they just swerved the first weekend of The Great Summer Getaway. Maybe go the following midweek or something? A little thinking outside the box usually goes a very long way where travel plans are concerned I always find

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Ah the favourite whinge of every Brexiteer you'll ever meet. "You remoaners think we're all thick and stupid. Well you lost, get over it". I'm embarrassed for you that you think this is still where we're at.

Where we're at more accurately, is that anyone who voted Brexit and still refuses to acknowledge any of the problems that are caused by that decision, and would rather blame everybody else than come up with some answers - IS a moron. And what a lot of problems there have been. We'll ignore these trivial border issues if you like, let's talk about our EU exports being absolutely decimated, our farming and fishing industries going to the dogs or the destabilisation of Northern Ireland for which no Brexiteer ever has an answer and just blames the EU for having the temerity of wanting to enforce a Tory negotiated protocol.

I won't call anyone who voted leave a moron, but I'm not having this. You voted for this mess, it's time you rolled your sleeves up and came up with some answers to deal with issues rather than ALWAYS blaming someone else. And if you can't do that, we will absolutely need to have another referendum. This isn't going away, we're not moving on because this constant turmoil is absolute shite and most of us don't want it.

Exactly this. We lost, I'm over it because I've accepted facts won't win against belief. Now I'm waiting to see the benefits because I'm absolutely certain all those who voted for this have a fantastic plan to bring back our relevancy and importance and strong economic presence in a world that is currently confused by our actions, laughing at us, or taking advantage of us. Sometimes all three. I'm really looking forward to seeing it, as actually seeing it will be the first step to getting behind it. Not sure how much longer they're going to keep us waiting though. At the moment someone actively going all out to deliberately sabotage the country would be pretty chuffed with what they've achieved so I'm sure this isn't all they've got.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's incredible what Brexit appears to have done to people's persona and I am pointing the finger very much at Brexiteers here - The complete unwillingness to admit that anything remotely negative could be down to Brexit. It would give their argument so much more gravitas to hold their hands up and admit that there are going to be some compromises in their bid to Take Back Control. Complete and utter intransigence - To not have the balls or intellect to admit any down side is so weak and pathetic.

Without Brexit, these delays do not happen, no ifs, no buts.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gotta be here already but what the hell

[tweet]1550740510972825600[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are talking about for tourists not business. The only change for non-business travel to France is that you get your passport stamped each way - a whole couple of seconds per passport extra. You always had your passport checked even before Brexit. At Dover it's always been both nations checking in each direction ( why I have no idea ) but on other routes only one each end. So I ask again, as a personal traveller, what extra procedures are in place to create the delays ? Feel free to give me your personal experiences of travelling to France and what changes

I only take goods that were deemed perfectly safe before Brexit but for some petty reason are now considered unacceptable. I've even declared the food once at Dieppe and the French just waved it through - couldn't have cared less. As for the smuggling and VAT tax cheat jibe - get over yourself. I've paid the appropriate goods tax in each country.

Yet even the French have admitted that it was a lack of staff because some got caught up in the tunnel technical issue but clearly you know better than them. The technical issue at the tunnel, the RTA on the M20 as well as Dover not having the capacity to cope with the surge of passengers - something that's been the case for years because of road infrastructure and the poor design of the port - are what have caused this issue. Nothing to do with Brexit.

Look forward to hearing your personal experiences of how Brexit has effected your travel experience to France.

I usually go through the Tunnel and it does take longer after Brexit. At Folkestone the French booths just waved us through prior to 2021, but now our passports are examined, so twice as long (2 of us).
Coming back, passports are stamped, registered on the computer so the 14 days holiday can be calculated against the 90 day limit.

Yes, the French had a problem on Friday but that gave Elphicke the perfect opportunity to blame them, by correctly saying they hadnt turned up for work. It was a truth which twisted so much, I even read the French were too lazy to work. Exaggerations to shit stir.
There were massive queues on Saturday and again today, even though all the French booths are fully manned.

This is the first year many families are holidaying abroad again after the pandemic so it’s a perfect storm.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I usually go through the Tunnel and it does take longer after Brexit. At Folkestone the French booths just waved us through prior to 2021, but now our passports are examined, so twice as long (2 of us).
Coming back, passports are stamped, registered on the computer so the 14 days holiday can be calculated against the 90 day limit.

Yes, the French had a problem on Friday but that gave Elphicke the perfect opportunity to blame them, by correctly saying they hadnt turned up for work. It was a truth which twisted so much, I even read the French were too lazy to work. Exaggerations to shit stir.
There were massive queues on Saturday and again today, even though all the French booths are fully manned.

This is the first year many families are holidaying abroad again after the pandemic so it’s a perfect storm.

A nicely balanced post

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Of COURSE post-BREXIT passports are going to be examined more closely. We're now a non-EU country and will be quite correctly treated as such. Add to that all the wallies who thought it was going to be happy daze due to absence of testing and form-filling, and it was always going to be a perfick storm

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
I am off to Malta soon

Tremendous news Rob, I am sure they can look forward to substandard IT equipment supplied to their schoolds by government donors just as we can here too. Do they give knighthoods in Malta though for patronage?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
We are talking about for tourists not business. The only change for non-business travel to France is that you get your passport stamped each way - a whole couple of seconds per passport extra. You always had your passport checked even before Brexit. At Dover it's always been both nations checking in each direction ( why I have no idea ) but on other routes only one each end. So I ask again, as a personal traveller, what extra procedures are in place to create the delays ? Feel free to give me your personal experiences of travelling to France and what changes you've seen.

Up until this weekend travel was a no go for many. Last summer you needed so many extra papers for Covid that most just stayed at home.
This year it's a free for all to get out there. The planes are stacked up or cancelled at Gatwick so Father of the home suggests going by car. Great, so more are now driving over.
Now those passports. Do you get waved into the USA or Mexico and as for Morrocco, I've queued there for a couple of hours. So France have to check each and every passport. In 2019 you drove along slowly showing what looked like the same amount of passports as occupants whilst both UK & French controllers drank coffee. Now your passport HAS to be stamped. Think about that. 4 people in a car, how much longer does that take to stop the car, hand over passports, each one is checked, scanned, stamped and returned. What merely slowed down traffic has now stopped it for 5 minutes.
Very interesting letter here prior to the hard brexit.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e/18485/pdf/&usg=AOvVaw25uhWxp2SU0NX9spacmZQe

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Up until this weekend travel was a no go for many. Last summer you needed so many extra papers for Covid that most just stayed at home.
This year it's a free for all to get out there. The planes are stacked up or cancelled at Gatwick so Father of the home suggests going by car. Great, so more are now driving over.
Now those passports. Do you get waved into the USA or Mexico and as for Morrocco, I've queued there for a couple of hours. So France have to check each and every passport. In 2019 you drove along slowly showing what looked like the same amount of passports as occupants whilst both UK & French controllers drank coffee. Now your passport HAS to be stamped. Think about that. 4 people in a car, how much longer does that take to stop the car, hand over passports, each one is checked, scanned, stamped and returned. What merely slowed down traffic has now stopped it for 5 minutes.
Very interesting letter here prior to the hard brexit.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...e/18485/pdf/&usg=AOvVaw25uhWxp2SU0NX9spacmZQe

Well, that's about as definitive as it can get. I urge everyone to read that letter. It is based on 2 years testing with the French authorities.

The bottom line is, that the Brexit changes absolutely DO reduce the throughput of vehicles.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1550578974627188736[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's incredible what Brexit appears to have done to people's persona and I am pointing the finger very much at Brexiteers here - The complete unwillingness to admit that anything remotely negative could be down to Brexit. It would give their argument so much more gravitas to hold their hands up and admit that there are going to be some compromises in their bid to Take Back Control. Complete and utter intransigence - To not have the balls or intellect to admit any down side is so weak and pathetic.

Without Brexit, these delays do not happen, no ifs, no buts.
They can't admit it...yet. Things have ( and will ! ) have to get a lot worse yet. Not long till the biometric scans have to start and we start phytosanitary checks on imports...and HM Customs have to start enforcing the Duty Free limits .....obviously by stopping and searching.. time time time.. if only there could be a way of stripping away all this " Red Tape " and hold ups ? Anyone?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
They can't admit it...yet. Things have ( and will ! ) have to get a lot worse yet. Not long till the biometric scans have to start and we start phytosanitary checks on imports...and HM Customs have to start enforcing the Duty Free limits .....obviously by stopping and searching.. time time time.. if only there could be a way of stripping away all this " Red Tape " and hold ups ? Anyone?

I'm thinking... thinking jolly hard...nah, I got nuffin sorry :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here