Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It's a moot point, today the booths are fully staffed. The issue is not staffing levels, it's Brexit.

Yes, so 10 booths are not enough on busy days. So what I am trying to establish is when those 10 booths appeared, because that 2020 article states the government turned down the offer to double the booths from 5 to 10. But now there are 10 (or 9 or 12)

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Travelled today and we live a mile from the tunnel and know people who work for boarder force and Eurotunnel. Left the house for a 6.20 crossing at 4.40. m20 j11 closed with no signage and no one in attendance. Joined a mega queue at 5am on the A20 in the hope that it would lead to the back entrance.
No communication from Eurotunnel or Kent police.
4 hour queue to go 2 miles to get in to the terminal, where the systems weren't working properly but there were plenty of UK and French boarder control.
Finally got in to France at around 1pm.
Clearly Brexit related delays but main issue was closed m20 and backlog from yesterday.and lack of management and control of traffic from police and Eurotunnel. No idea why m20 was closed.at j11 today when yesterday police were screening people on to j11a at the junction.
Perhaps easy to blame the French?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Travelled today and we live a mile from the tunnel and know people who work for boarder force and Eurotunnel. Left the house for a 6.20 crossing at 4.40. m20 j11 closed with no signage and no one in attendance. Joined a mega queue at 5am on the A20 in the hope that it would lead to the back entrance.
4 hour queue to go 2 miles to get in to the terminal, where the systems weren't working properly but there were plenty of UK and French boarder control.
Clearly Brexit related delays but main issue was closed m20 and backlog from yesterday.and lack of management and control of traffic from police and Eurotunnel. No idea why m20 was closed.at j11 today when yesterday police were screening people on to j11a at the junction.

Have a nice holiday

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Is it fair to compare the whole of French history against mouldy 58 years???

I think not, but you might just be surprised of my contributions to life.

I have even opened up a few thought patterns with my lateral thinking on here.:rave:

Of course we invented the first toothbrush saving billions of teeth
I raise your asprin for a British-developed penicillin.
The vacumn flask saving loads of people the chance of having to drink cold tea:sick:
The fire extinguisher, saving peoples bacon.
The cats eyes, a outstanding road safety invention, saving??? Lives
The Mackinntosh coat, stopping wet pants on most people apart from some In the 'Potter out ' thread.

The french know the brits are superior in every department.

They are just to militant to admit it.

The French invented the pressure cooker, and they’re better at cooking than us.

And I don’t think they would agree the Brits are superior in every department.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The French invented the pressure cooker, and they’re better at cooking than us.

And I don’t think they would agree the Brits are superior in every department.

:fishing: he's clearly feeling so vulnerable tonight.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Staff at Dover have said that the French offered last winter to add additional staff this side of the channel to help speed things up around visa processing before we got to the summer chaos, trying to help us out and pre-empt exactly this trouble, but the government refused the £33 million they'd have to part fund it to add the extra lanes and booths. What we're seeing is the consequence of Government intransigence and of course the consequence of being a country where the majority chose to end easy travel. Zero surprise the French get the blame because when something is ideologically driven not pragmatically or logically driven it's literally impossible to admit responsibility. Don't forget too, it's only making major headlines now because it's holiday makers. There have been regular 20+ mile queues of lorries for months.

Yep, seen the miles of lorries on the M20 between Leeds Castle and Ashford, and that’s with them building a new lorry “park” at Willesborough.

Last edited:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
All of this was SO predictable - as soon as we left the EU it meant all our passports needed to be stamped, just like everyone else from outside the EU. More bureaucracy hence more delays. But despite this our government ecstatically celebrated the loss of Freedom of Movement, along with Brexiters up and down the country. However, somehow they forgot to mention that it applies to us as well as those nasty foriners!!

The sad thing is that the same unfortunate story will replay itself year after year. Whatever ill befalls us, it will always be the fault of the French (or Germans, or whoever). We will continue to fall further and further behind our European neighbours, always looking for someone else to blame. That’s the beauty of Brexit!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Yes, it is so easy to blame someone else rather than face the consequences of ones own actions.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
A definite fact that seems to be getting quietly forgotten is that 14 French border staff should have been there yesterday morning but only 6 turned up. I am sure that you can agree that this hasn't helped the situation.

My understanding from a friend in border control is that the coast guard had to move the French officers via boat from dover to Folkestone then Eurotunnel yesterday due to operational.issues at the tunnel and all roads blocked

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Truss isn’t a Brexiteer, but she’s got no principles so will be whatever she needs to be to win the high-turnout demographic of the gammon vote.

Indeed Truss was an ardent remainer in June 2016.

Are you saying she cynically changed her mind for the sake of her career. The Lady IS for turning. She’ll have us back in the EU before you know it!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The french know the brits are superior in every department.

They are just to militant to admit it.

BRB just off to check who holds the football World Cup…

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
BTW love that the Brexit crowd still desperately trying to blame anything but Brexit when it’s pretty clear the fault lies squarely with it. Which suggests one of two things;

1. They know Brexit is to blame but can’t bring themselves to say so, meaning they’re cowards.
2. They genuinely think Brexit isn’t to blame for all this, making them stupid.

Would be intrigued to know which it is.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
BTW love that the Brexit crowd still desperately trying to blame anything but Brexit when it’s pretty clear the fault lies squarely with it. Which suggests one of two things;

1. They know Brexit is to blame but can’t bring themselves to say so, meaning they’re cowards.
2. They genuinely think Brexit isn’t to blame for all this, making them stupid.

Would be intrigued to know which it is.
Thick would be my guess.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My understanding from a friend in border control is that the coast guard had to move the French officers via boat from dover to Folkestone then Eurotunnel yesterday due to operational.issues at the tunnel and all roads blocked

It was the M20 eastbound closed due to an RTA. It was closed for over 2 hours.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The only reason I knew it was closed was from the Highways Twitter account. I have it set as a favourite because we always use Eurotunnel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here