Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Should sheer number of Bregretters on their own be sufficient to trigger 2nd Referendum

It appears that a large number of Brexiters are now immediately claiming to be Bregretters. Their regret has obviously not arisen with any benefit of hindsight because the policies for which they had voted had not had the positive outcome they had hoped, because no policies have as yet been put in place let alone enacted upon. But it appears that they did not really want to leave the EU in the first place.
So ignoring for the time being all the petitioning of the original "Stayers", do you think, given the large number of "Bregretters" coming out of the woodwork, that this should be good enough reason to trigger a second referendum?

Two Arguments for: (please add your own)
1.As yet nothing has been enacted upon or put in place so a second referendum would be far less of an upheaval than the process of actually leaving the EU.
2.A second referendum would perhaps reflect the true will of the electorate who would now be voting with the full knowledge of the consequence of their vote, which it appears, they did not the first time round.

Two Arguments against: (please add your own)
1.There is no way of knowing before actually having a second referendum how many "Bregretters" were genuinely original Brexiters. They could be Leavers who are now claiming to be Bregretters merely to give the illusion that a large number of voters have changed their minds. Because the vote is anonymous there is no way of proving the genuine nature of their claim without a second referendum, and if the second referendum went the same way it would show that the government had been duped big time. Would they want to risk that ridicule.
2. People's original vote should stand and the original will of the people should be adhered to because this is how democracy works. People should always vote with the full realisation that if they vote in a particular way, there is always the real possibility that their vote could be the deciding one and with that knowledge in mind vote for the result they really and truly want.

See link below: One "Bregretter" is almost in tears at the thought of what she has subjected her children to.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...hought-uk-stay-in-eu-remain-win-a7102516.html

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
SNP leader Ms Sturgeon said that "of course" she would ask MSPs to refuse to give their "legislative consent".
In an interview with the BBC's Sunday Politics Scotland programme she was asked what the Scottish Parliament would do now.
Ms Sturgeon, whose party has 63 of the 129 Holyrood seats, said: "The issue you are talking about is would there have to be a legislative consent motion or motions for the legislation that extricates the UK from the European Union?
"Looking at it from a logical perspective, I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be that requirement - I suspect that the UK government will take a very different view on that and we'll have to see where that discussion ends up."
When Ms Sturgeon was asked by presenter Gordon Brewer whether she would consider asking the parliament not to back such a motion of legislative consent she replied "of course".
She added: "If the Scottish Parliament was judging this on the basis of what's right for Scotland then the option of saying look we're not to vote for something that's against Scotland's interest, of course that's got to be on the table."

The decision on another Scottish referendum will be taken by he Scottish MPs in Westminster, along with their English, Welsh and Northern Irish colleagues.

Perhaps the scots should have been less resistant to any serious discussions about 'The Midlothian Question'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Scotland keeping England and Wales in the EU against OUR will?

How does this get solved?
Assassinate Nicola Sturgeon. I mean, I'm not saying I want that to happen (I do), but you asked what would solve the problem.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So you think the EU is going to prioritise trading with us in favour of internally and with the rest of the world.

We're now the 6th biggest economy in the world and that was because we've thought about leaving. A drop in the ocean to what will happen if we trigger Article 50, then god knows when we actually leave.

Still 5th.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
What are you talking about? We're not going to tell them to choose between us. They currently export a lot to us, and they will want to continue to.

Trade deals take an awful long time. What happens in the meantime.

That's incorrect, please keep up.

You know my point. OK losses of a lot of money just because we've thought about leaving.

This is why I didn't direct the earlier post to you.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Point 2. How can a second referenda be argued on the basis that now people know what will happen when you've already started that nothing is yet put in place or has happened?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
If Jimmy Krankie thinks she will stop the exit she is deluded, she will be become the No.1 hate figure in the country. She forgets Scotland voted to stay in the UK, the referendum was for the UK to decide not if Scotland wanted to. Scotland get a better deal than England, she would have no chance if Scotland had independence of backing up her mouth

She would argue that the Scottish people were told they had more chance of being in EU if they voted no in the Scottish referendum. Now they are being forced to leave against their will.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Repeal the Laws?

A lot was said during the referendum debate, and subsequent to the result, about sovereignty and that we have laws imposed on us by so called unelected bureaucrats. So I thought it would be interesting to see exactly what laws Leave, and possibly Remain, voters would like to see repealed and why, ie why do you not think it is not of benefit to our particular country. We'll take it as read that the Leave voters want to see a removal of free movement so what else frustrates you? Also, be quite specific, for example, just saying remove red tape doesn't add anything. What red tape do you see that is unnecessary?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Assassinate Nicola Sturgeon. I mean, I'm not saying I want that to happen (I do), but you asked what would solve the problem.

:lolol: touch extreme,perhaps she might slip near Loch Ness-but seriously If she somehow can overrule this vote I will be voting UKIP...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you think the EU is going to prioritise trading with us in favour of internally and with the rest of the world.

We're now the 6th biggest economy in the world and that was because we've thought about leaving. A drop in the ocean to what will happen if we trigger Article 50, then god knows when we actually leave.

No as has been confirmed we remain the 5th largest global economy and 2nd largest EU economy.

It seems you have ignored your original premise and my reply, we are the EU's biggest market to sell their stuff to, we buy net 62 billion pounds worth of their goods from them as compared to what we sell to them.

So I suspect there would be some priority to continue to trade with us.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
This isn't a party thing.

We need serious UK electoral reform. The first-past-the-post system doesn't work and this has been highlighted by the deep divisions across the political spectrum. We need to seriously consider proportional representation to reflect the electorate accurately.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Shameless - they're happy to have a referendum on the UK, happy to win all their seats, and then when they get a democratic outcome they dislike, they fight it. Utterly shameless party full of oppurtunists.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The reporting of what Nicola Sturgeon actually said is confused. From the BBC:

SNP leader Ms Sturgeon said that "of course" she would ask MSPs to refuse to give their "legislative consent".

and

When Ms Sturgeon was asked by presenter Gordon Brewer whether she would consider asking the parliament not to back such a motion of legislative consent she replied "of course".

If the second quote is true, she's just looking for something to negotiate with. If the first is true, I'd be surprised.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I disagree. I think we are where we because 251,000 left wing labour party members voted someone to lead the labour party who is unelectable as a Prime Minister and who subsequently failed to engage in the referendum.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was a remainer but a second referendum makes me a bit uncomfortable. Where do we draw the line ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wasn't there actually very little laws put in place directly because of the EU? Can't find the stat but it was floating around.

More concerned about the laws our own government are putting in place under their own steam. I.e Teresa May data snooping bill

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Up until last year most Conservatives would have loved a EU exit......all the top figures bar Farage bottled it at the reckoning....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here