Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think you were told that getting a better deal, a have your cake and eat it type, was not possible. But Johnson and others are now claiming this alternative fact.

And if you bother to look back at my posts I never said we would be 'better off' financially after leaving .... that wasn't the reason I voted leave.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
And if you bother to look back at my posts I never said we would be 'better off' financially after leaving .... that wasn't the reason I voted leave.

Were these the reasons?

135249779_3994079537311477_2980638711523809714_n.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You also said about your plans to retire to France, hence my question 'Out of interest, how are you planning to go about getting French citizenship ?'

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I know you've spoken before about your plans to retire to France. Out of interest, how are you planning to go about getting French citizenship ?

And Miss WS should find this Government guide on studying in the EU useful. Obviously, because Erasmus has gone there's still things to be decided. like how much more they will have to pay and whether this will differ by country or institution, but Johnson says this will all be decided before the replacement Turin is rolled out, so probably worth checking regularly because it's still being updated daily.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/study-in-the-european-union#history

It covers residency rules, visa requirements, healthcare, all sorts of useful things for anyone wanting to study for a year in the EU :thumbsup:

I have friends in France that have recently secured French citizenship, it was anything but straight forward and they immigration dept ended up hanging into their own parents passports for months. The whole process took 2 and a half years and included a comprehensive French language test.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You also said about your plans to retire to France, hence my question 'Out of interest, how are you planning to go about getting French citizenship ?'

I did .... and if you bothered to research properly rather than sitting at the end of the Black Lion Bar .... when it's open ... you would have found out that you don't need citizenship to retire or live in France .... much like here.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I did .... and if you bothered to research properly rather than sitting at the end of the Black Lion Bar .... when it's open ... you would have found out that you don't need citizenship to retire or live in France .... much like here.

So when you say 'retire there' you are presumably going backwards and forwards within the 3rd country visiting limits, because it wouldn't make any sense keep continually applying for visas annually and pay the ever increasing medical health insurance that a UK citizen would have to, would it ???

Oh and you may want to have a word with the Uni that assured Miss WS that she could do her 3rd year in the EU as there are currently no countries or academic establishments signed up to Johnson's new Turin plan, together with no rules or procedures for how Universities here apply for places on this new scheme.

Now I'm sure we both hope these wouldn't be issues, but assuring people of things that are not yet negotiated or agreed ....... who on earth would do that :wink:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
So when you say 'retire there' you are presumably going backwards and forwards within the 3rd country visiting limits, because it wouldn't make any sense keep continually applying for visas annually and pay the ever increasing medical health insurance that a UK citizen would have to, would it ???

Oh and you may want to have a word with the Uni that assured Miss WS that she could do her 3rd year in the EU as there are currently no countries or academic establishments signed up to Johnson's new Turin plan, together with no rules or procedures for how Universities here apply for places on this new scheme.

Now I'm sure we both hope these wouldn't be issues, but assuring people of things that are not yet negotiated or agreed ....... who on earth would do that :wink:

Nice edit ! Otherwise you might have looked a little stupid.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have friends in France that have recently secured French citizenship, it was anything but straight forward and they immigration dept ended up hanging into their own parents passports for months. The whole process took 2 and a half years and included a comprehensive French language test.

And that was while we were still in the EU. Can you imagine anyone voting for Brexit and then trying to do that from today onwards :facepalm:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

OK so I'm 65 and live in Burnley, have a house worth £80k and spotted a lovely old farmhouse in Limousin for £60k, perfect for my retirement.

But I want to live there year round, just holidays back in the UK. Do I have to fund my own healthcare or is there a reciprocal agreement in place with France?

I'm also a builder by trade, can I offer my services locally to other Brits and advertise in the Expat newspaper?

HELP, I want out Burnley are doomed and will be relegated soon...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OK so I'm 65 and live in Burnley, have a house worth £80k and spotted a lovely old farmhouse in Limousin for £60k, perfect for my retirement.

But I want to live there year round, just holidays back in the UK. Do I have to fund my own healthcare or is there a reciprocal agreement in place with France?

I'm also a builder by trade, can I offer my services locally to other Brits and advertise in the Expat newspaper?

Whhooah easy there tiger !

Before you start thinking about it, you may want to read up on

Third country nationals
Long stay visas
visa de long séjour valant titre de séjour visiteur
Minimum income (Smic)
Private Healthcare
Carte de séjour
carte de séjour permanent.
citizenship

I left a magazine at the end of the Black Lion bar that explains it far better than I can :wink:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I've kept out of this toxic thread for sometime as I got bored of the insults and 'I know better then you' attitudes but your children can still do all these things - they just have some extra processes to go through to achieve them. For example, I've been looking at getting a property in France for sometime now and have been discussing with a French estate agent. I can still buy the property I've had my eye on ( I probably won't but for non-Brexit reasons ) - I just have some extra paperwork to complete should I proceed. Likewise, Miss WS is looking at a Uni course that includes the 3rd year abroad and the Uni have assured us that she can still do that year in an EU based uni.

Different year same old **** ... bet you're glad you dipped back in!

Btw does the guy sitting at the end of the Black Lion Bar look anything like this ..

images

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Why would you want to work if you’re going to France to retire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Different year same old **** ... bet you're glad you dipped back in!

Btw does the guy sitting at the end of the Black Lion Bar look anything like this ..

images

JC... if people come here and make statements implying nothing has changed we're entitled to ask questions. Things are different now we all need to face the new reality...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Why would you want to work if you’re going to France to retire?

Well life has been tough the past decade, unlike you rich southerners I don't have a house worth squillions. I've only a small pension that has been invested in the UK stock market, the last 5 years have been shit. I need a top up to my income..

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Well life has been tough the past decade, unlike you rich southerners I don't have a house worth squillions. I've only a small pension that has been invested in the UK stock market, the last 5 years have been shit. I need a top up to my income..

Well I’d recommend you go talk to some of the many fine Eastern European folk in your area and they will give you tips on how to avoid the authorities and do a bit work for a bit of cash in hand?

Alternatively if you don’t have a decent income stream or are indeed not well off, moving abroad maybe isn’t for you?

Good luck with the dream x

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here