Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Labour won't oppose it unless it is a capitulation. The Guardian isn't the labour party, and a few chatterbox MPs isn't the labour party any more than the ERG are the tory party.

My understanding is the Northern Ireland issue has been kicked like a can down the road again, with an eventual hard border in the Irish sea the likely outcome. We won't really see how good or bad this deal is until all the final arrangements are in place.

Indeed. A 2500 page document. I won't be reading it to make sure I get my facts right on NSC, but like any right minded individual, I hope you are wrong about Northern Ireland. It would be tragic if that goes pear shaped. I reckon there will be a lot of sandpapering off the edges of the deal still to come. But let's face it, despite all the posturing, the EU were never going to walk away from a 59 billion leaving gift.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
This is exactly why a General Election was required. Because the result of the democratically-held referendum showed no sign of ever being enacted by MPs who thought they knew better than the people they were elected to represent :shrug:

So do you have an election over other key policies which has key impact on people's lives?

So if 51% of the population wanted to re-introduce hanging do you think parliament should just agree?

Populist policies are often extreme and not well thought out. Parliament and the role of MPs was to take the extremes and dull them down into consensus and compromise not just follow trending items.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So how long before Ireland unites?

Brexit is the death knell for the United Kingdom as we know it.

It 10 years time, it’ll be ‘The United Kingdom of England & Wales’, Britain will be dead. We’ll be about as important to the word order as Austria or Poland. I think we’ll get booted out of the UN Security Council and G8 by 2030 once the Scots and Irish have left.

I’m not sure if this a good or bad thing for England but certainly brilliant for the Scots and Northern Irish nationalists.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cameron was a liar and an idiot and probably hasn't changed. Either way Parliament has been left weakened by what went on because people do not trust it.

Worryingly, Cameron was the least worst of the last three Prime Ministers !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So we don't have control of our waters, is this for real?!

its a fudge. we cede some of fishing quota for a period before it becomes a yearly agreement ( i believe how its done with Norway). our fishing industry wont be happy, the French and other EU fishing nations wont be happy either. but it means getting a deal done on trade, so a triumph of diplomacy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So do you have an election over other key policies which has key impact on people's lives?

So if 51% of the population wanted to re-introduce hanging do you think parliament should just agree?

Populist policies are often extreme and not well thought out. Parliament and the role of MPs was to take the extremes and dull them down into consensus and compromise not just follow trending items.

The previous parliament continually blocked the result of the democratically arrived at result of the referendum. Needed unblocking - if only to silence that bellowing STOP BREXIT **** with the megaphone who thought his voice was more important than anybody else's

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I know absolutely nothing about politics and never voted in my life, is this a good or a bad thing for the average working class of this country?

is bungle, "the average working class of this country" ?

work back from there

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
The world knows where we are now, unshackled by 28+ other countries, and can make deals that wont upset or be a disadvantage to others we are attached too?

Yes, like example we approached India for a Free Trade Agreement but they wanted better concessions in regards to freedom of movement and visa waivers. It's a game of give an take.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Brexit is the death knell for the United Kingdom as we know it.

It 10 years time, it’ll be ‘The United Kingdom of England & Wales’, Britain will be dead. We’ll be about as important to the word order as Austria or Poland. I think we’ll get booted out of the UN Security Council and G8 by 2030 once the Scots and Irish have left.

I’m not sure if this a good or bad thing for England but certainly brilliant for the Scots and Northern Irish nationalists.

without Scotland or NI we'd still easily have one of the largest economies, just slip behind France. we'd still have nuclear fleet for the forseeable. so about important as France. a sad decline indeed.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
In many ways it is all over Dog Faeces but gleeful gloating does nothing to forge better relations between the opposing factions.
You delight in the divisions which is why you will soon be redundant (in more ways than one)

I wish you the Christmas you deserve,

Merry Christmas Mr Lever, if you're feeling blue then a glass of egg nog and a warm smile awaits at Chez PotG.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This is exactly why a General Election was required. Because the result of the democratically-held referendum showed no sign of ever being enacted by MPs who thought they knew better than the people they were elected to represent :shrug:

the referendum was not mandatory

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here