Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We live in a democracy where it's vote per person, not one vote per 'A' level, so the Remain whiners should zip it.

Whilst the decision will in all probability be bad for the economy, many of those who voted out see/have seen no benefits in globalisation, free trade or migration, and therefore did what they thought was logical.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Quite. It's truly pitiful. What part of DEMOCRACY do they not understand? ???

It would have to reach half the difference between the votes on Thursday to have any effect. Then an argument could be made that people had reconsidered. Out is out.

Although Boris Johnson does look as though he is having to convince himself that he hasn't made a huge mistake here.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If you ever think that would/will happen, you're deluded. Juncker said the day before the vote that there would be no more deals, re-negotiation, etc. There couldn't have been a clearer message that we won't be able to change anything from within. And his statements since the vote have simply supported the view that to get away from him and that 'cartel' was the correct decision.

Just for the record, Juncker made his comments as a response to the suggestion that the UK government, having lost the referendum, immediately came back to him and asked for further changes. He was not saying there could never be negotiations, and indeed I don't believe he would have had the authority to say that. The post you were responding to was thoughtfully worded and while I understand you disagreeing with it it was heavyhanded to call the poster deluded.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sorry to disappoint you but the political correctness bug has largely come from American university campuses rather than the EU. Never mind.

I never believed that political correctness did come from the EU and I'm still too disappointed with the referendum result to be disappointed with anything else at the minute.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
We live in a democracy where it's vote per person, not one vote per 'A' level, so the Remain whiners should zip it.

Whilst the decision will in all probability be bad for the economy, many of those who voted out see/have seen no benefits in globalisation, free trade or migration, and therefore did what they thought was logical.

Sent from Konnie Huq's lingerie drawer.

In other words, the brexiters, with the best of intentions, got it wrong because of the failure of the English education system. I think we should blame the teachers and lecturers then.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Ok, so when was the last time their accounts we're audited and signed off? And how long has that been known about? And how much stink have the existing members made of this and driven through change/transparency? They haven't. Do you think that will change anytime soon?

I'm afraid I don't understand the second part of this but in answer to your question about the accounts, they have been signed off every year for many years. Nigel likes to say they haven't been but he is not telling the truth. The auditors have raised concerns about the way individual countries have recorded their disposal of some of the money but this concern is directed at the countries concerned.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
You're asking those who didn't want this to come up with proposals to make it work?

I don't think any of us think it can work. That's the point.

Our once strong economy (which by the way was overtaken by France yesterday) is based in a financial services industry intrinsically linked to Europe. We lose that and the remaining EU powers will have little interest in pandering to whatever nonsense demands Johnson and Gove make. As far as the EU are concerned we made our bed and we can lie it.

Assuming the full exit takes place (and we're a long way from that yet, thankfully) I can only really see a future as some sort of shady offshore tax haven for businesses operating in the EU but trying to shirk their responsibilities and circumvent the regulations.

Grim

Very good points.......on a side note we have always berated the French for their left wing unions ability to call for industrial action at a drop of a hat, yet they seem to operate a very successful car industry, Citroen, Renault, Peugeot, all more successful car companies (luxury makes aside granted) than most of our mass produced cars ever were. Strange to understand a country that has so many disputes can be so successful in becoming a flourishing economy in the Europe and worldwide markets.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Apparently, according to Michael Gove, people have had enough of experts, so you shouldn't listen to them anyway.

Gove is a Scottish immigrant. No doubt he headed south when he realised that the education was less good here. And the Scots enjoyed their referendum and the opportunities it gave to denigrate the old enemy. But at least they had the common sense and education not to vote to screw up their economy in Dopey Dave's first referendum.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Thanks. So the 4.4% in 2014 went where then?

I'm sure that I don't need to explain that I'm not an economics expert, it was more to debunk the 'theory' that the accounts haven't been signed off for however many years.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nigel Farage: 16th May

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

Does that not work the other way ?

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
I'm sure that I don't need to explain that I'm not an economics expert, it was more to debunk the 'theory' that the accounts haven't been signed off for however many years.

Ok, thanks for that! So 4.4% of shitloads goes missing, no one really knows where and that's ok. Yep, can't see why anyone would grumble about that. Or ask awkward questions from within. Bit of a theme occurring here! Comparisons with FIFA are bang on!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here