Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It really shouldn't be a surprise, it's what this Government does.

As Michael Heseltine said about Johnson: “a man who waits to see the way the crowd is running and then dashes in front and says, ‘Follow me’.”

If he sees any chance of success anywhere, he'll dive in and try and take any credit he can. A couple of weeks ago, it was all about the Oxford Vaccine, now it's the German one, add in a nice little lie about the speed of approval being down to Brexit and the terminally naive and stupid will lap it up, same as always, and then wonder why their own situation is still getting worse :shrug:
Hilarious Twitter post from Alok Sharma yesterday, trying to say we are at the forefront of science and leading the way by using a Turkish owned German pharma companies vaccine that will be manufactured for us in Belgium... Ah but, maybe the hypodermics are British?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Come on Watford, you of all people should be able to spot a tongue in cheek comment!

Serious discussion on this forum is pointless, but my serious prediction is that a deal will be signed and it'll either be in the 11th hour and 59th minute or two weeks into January once no deal has focused a few minds. This is now all a big game of brinkmanship.

I think you may well be right that we could have a period of 'no deal' before agreement is reached and the impact of that does quite worry me.

But if you are certain that the 'no deal' period that you voted for 4.5 years ago was only 2 weeks, that helps put my mind at rest :wink:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah but, maybe the hypodermics are British?

Probably. If there's one thing Britain doesn't have a shortage of right now it's pricks.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Probably. If there's one thing Britain doesn't have a shortage of right now it's pricks.

You're not wrong there.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/18917026.charity-shocked-council-removes-mural-rspca-shop-wall-worthing/

dog.JPG

Can't have people getting offended.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Perhaps Europe thinks of everyone rather than take an insular approach, after all, the main purpose is to stop the spread and the countries in mainland Europe are all connected

I don't agree that a Brexit / Trumpist / Nationalistic approach is helpfull with a global problem

This is complete bollocks!

You're just sticking to the classic europhile portrayal of the EU as some sort of fluffy protective organisation.
It's a giant bureaucracy, this is what bureaucracies do - legislate and enforce. You're doing some serious mental gymnastics here.

The EU's role is only in the approval, they're not going to roll out or administer the vaccine. Germany could probably roll this out to it's own citizens quicker than us, I bet they have the means and the framework in place to do it.

Do you honestly think they'll stop the spread faster by waiting a month :mad:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
According to the German Health Minister, It's because the Eu member states wanted to act collectively and wait for EMA approval so yes in one sense you are correct ... being a non-member has meant we can get the vaccine faster :thumbsup:

[TWEET]1334128871617257476[/TWEET]
So are you suggesting that if we had still been a member we would not have been allowed to have approved the vaccine in the way we have?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Serious question - what's everyone's opinion on why we're the only country to break rank from the EMA and take the emergency approval route? Every country has the power to do what the UK has done.

IMHO it's entirely political. The French and Germans can't appear to be sorting themselves out first and everyone else either doesn't have the capability or doesn't want to upset their paymasters.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is complete bollocks!

You're just sticking to the classic europhile portrayal of the EU as some sort of fluffy protective organisation.
It's a giant bureaucracy, this is what bureaucracies do - legislate and enforce. You're doing some serious mental gymnastics here

Bureaucracy...yeap we're about to rediscover everything we've been missing out on since 1993.

What ever happened to all the talk about frictionless trade, eh??

Will everyone be using UKCA mark from January instead of CE, please update me...

Jan 30, 2008
Serious question - what's everyone's opinion on why we're the only country to break rank from the EMA and take the emergency approval route? Every country has the power to do what the UK has done.

IMHO it's entirely political. The French and Germans can't appear to be sorting themselves out first and everyone else either doesn't have the capability or doesn't want to upset their paymasters.

Yet the EU loons claim we are weaker with out the EU , priceless!
Regards
DF

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So are you suggesting that if we had still been a member we would not have been allowed to have approved the vaccine in the way we have?

No, I'm just pointing that (according to the German Health Minister) all 27 EU member states have apparently decided to act as one delaying the role out of this vaccine in their individual nations prioritising a common EU approach (over public health?). Obviously, if we had remained in the EU I am certain the expectation would be we fall in line and pressure may have been applied to follow the collective policy ... Brexit has finally freed us from this process.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Maybe, could have. Countries make up their own minds. In this case, a combined roll out makes more sense.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Apparently, it's more important the vaccine is delivered to every member state in a box with an EU flag on it than being delivered days/weeks/months earlier ...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe, could have. Countries make up their own minds. In this case, a combined roll out makes more sense.

Getting the vaccine out quickly is important, but so is public confidence and trust. It does seem the latter is the priority for the EU.

I personally would take the vaccine tomorrow, but I've personally been surprised at the number of people I've heard express reservations our process has been rushed through too quickly. I really hope corners have not been cut to create some faux victory for the Johnson administration

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here