Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
Here's a surprise! We are woefully under-prepared for Brexit. Who'd have thought it?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brex...-border-catastrophe/ar-BB1bxFpC?ocid=msedgdhp

In short:

MPs today branded Boris Johnson’s Brexit a “cold turkey” as they warned of potential catastrophe at UK borders.

A powerful committee of MPs said the Government is taking “limited responsibility” for Brexit readiness with just four weeks to go before the end of the transition period

Wow - Johnson avoiding responsibility? No-one saw that one coming!

Could you name the MP's on this 'powerful committee?
Regards
DF

Jan 30, 2008

deal is done, both sides playing down the clock so there is as little time as possible for objections. fisheries will be a storm both sides, neither side will be happy but in no deal they are stuffed anyway (EU not allowed to catch, UK not economic to sell).

Out of the single market and out of the customs union
Regards
DF

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They might have followed EU guidelines but getting regulation from the MRHA and not the EMA is the key here and we were able to do it because
vaccines would normally be authorised by the European Medicines Agency until the end of the Brexit transition on December 31. However the UK’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency has the power to temporarily authorise products, in cases of urgent public need.

The EMA have said they will work over Christmas to approve the drug for those in the EU.
Marvellous! We will not scrutinise too much what Dr June Raine, MHRA boss' s statement meant when she said " we are able to authorise supply of this vaccine under provisions under EU law which exist until Jan 1st".

So, looks like we are, still stuck with just the Blue Passports so far as a benefit of leaving.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Marvellous! We will not scrutinise too much what Dr June Raine, MHRA boss' s statement meant when she said " we are able to authorise supply of this vaccine under provisions under EU law which exist until Jan 1st".

So, looks like we are, still stuck with just the Blue Passports so far as a benefit of leaving.
And expensive food / food shortages having a positive effect on obesity levels.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
And expensive food / food shortages having a positive effect on obesity levels.

I'm assuming our Brexit-y brethren have taken absolutely no precautions or steps to prepare themselves for January 1st (so confident have they been all along that it'll all be a tremendous success and we'll soon be living off nothing but caviar and champagne), and as such will be benefitting from this the most?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can shamelessly list one benefit of Brexit.

The MHRA no longer beholden to the EMA, which has enabled the UK to quickly turn around approval of vaccines [emoji106]

Thankfully the EMA have said they will work through Christmas to look at the data [emoji106]

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....vid-19-vaccine-approval-in-europe-11606816904

I'm afraid that when Matt Hancock announced that it was a benefit of Brexit he was .... um ....... lying

As has been happening for the last 4.5 years, it seems that every time this group of politicians lies about some aspect of Brexit, there are lots of people who will simply jump on board and believe everything they say without the most basic of checks :shrug:

Coronavirus: Regulator rejects Matt Hancock’s claim that UK got vaccine first because of Brexit

Britain’s medicines regulator has contradicted claims by health secretary Matt Hancock that the UK got the first coronavirus vaccine faster because of Brexit.

Speaking shortly after the announcement that the Pfizer/BioNTec jab had been cleared for use by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), Mr Hancock said that the authorisation process was faster than in the EU because Britain was no longer a member. But asked if this was the case, MHRA chief executive June Raine said the process was undertaken under the terms of European law, which remains in force until the completion of the Brexit transition at the end of 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-matt-hancock-mhra-brexit-b1765005.html

It seems the hunt for the first benefit of Brexit goes on :wink:

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm afraid that when Matt Hancock announced that it was a benefit of Brexit he was .... um ....... lying

As has been happening for the last 4.5 years, it seems that every time this group of politicians lies about some aspect of Brexit, there are lots of people who will simply jump on board and believe everything they say without the most basic of checks :shrug:

Coronavirus: Regulator rejects Matt Hancock’s claim that UK got vaccine first because of Brexit

Britain’s medicines regulator has contradicted claims by health secretary Matt Hancock that the UK got the first coronavirus vaccine faster because of Brexit.

Speaking shortly after the announcement that the Pfizer/BioNTec jab had been cleared for use by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), Mr Hancock said that the authorisation process was faster than in the EU because Britain was no longer a member. But asked if this was the case, MHRA chief executive June Raine said the process was undertaken under the terms of European law, which remains in force until the completion of the Brexit transition at the end of 2020.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-matt-hancock-mhra-brexit-b1765005.html

Anyone considered the consequences of Pfizer winding down their cold storage facility in Havant, Belgium from the new year. Perfect timing...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...fter-pfizer-shuts-cold-storage-site-7pv57ztrr

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I knew I could rely on the NSC Brexit expert to point me in the right direction, I bow down. [emoji6]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

One question before I head out of here with my tale between my legs, why haven’t any EU countries approved this vaccine?

Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Gosh you’re actually on the hunt for bad news to support your views aren’t you?

With the inability of anyone finding good news, why not?

To reflect, and support your 'view', give us a list of positives to balance out the many negatives

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
With the inability of anyone finding good news, why not?

To reflect, and support your 'view', give us a list of positives to balance out the many negatives

My list is work in progress, many of the benefits haven’t even been realised yet, like any messy divorce it’s only years later you say to yourself “god I wish I’d done that sooner”

I liken you Dave as the person who’s just been petitioned for divorce and are listing all the positives for staying together, most materially true and obvious, but deep down the petitioner knows that in their heart they want to break free.

Anyway today is an example where we the UK ( following EU Guidelines) were able to regulate one of the vaccines without waiting for the EMA. [emoji6][emoji106]

More of this type of time saving and bureaucratic delay in my humble view will surface over the months & years to come [emoji6]

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
My list is work in progress, many of the benefits haven’t even been realised yet, like any messy divorce it’s only years later you say to yourself “god I wish I’d done that sooner”

I liken you Dave as the person who’s just been petitioned for divorce and are listing all the negatives for staying together, most materially true and obvious, but deep down the petitioner knows that in their heart they want to break free.

Anyway today is an example where we the UK ( following EU Guidelines) were able to regulate one of the vaccines without waiting for the EMA. [emoji6][emoji106]

More of this type of time saving and bureaucratic delay in my humble view will surface over the months & years to come [emoji6]

So nothing 'actual' just some vague future hope. Surely you can do better. You voted for it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here