Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
101 words in that and you've managed to use 'vermin', 'scum' and a thinly-veiled blanket of sex offenders.

It's like you're not even aware you've lost the argument. Who hurt you? Who turned you into this old and bitter person?

yeah ok, you won the argument, the referendum decision was indeed ignored and our membership never ended

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
5754f8a0158c419b85420d78b7ef59c9.jpg

I’ll take comfort from the fact that you got called out and realise now you may have embarrassed yourself with a false claim. If not put your money where your mouth is and back your claim.

You may have missed this, he is pretending to put people on his ignore list again.
Walter is anyway, not sure if Mitty agrees......might be other way round.

....and Chicken Run derails another thread.

Don’t bother with your off the rack replies. I’m reluctantly starting an ignore list and you’re first up. Same goes for Pasta, WQW and your other compadres, I forget their names, I’m sure they’ll make themselves known.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m not a gambling man, mugs game, but if I were I’d put a few quid on the period of grace we are currently enjoying being extended for another year at least.
Depends how desperate BJ is to appease his voters after their Covid disaster. He may well ignore common sense and plough on regardless to retain some of his more right wing voters.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Were you asleep?
That would be the people actively supporting or lobbying or marching and attempting to exert influence .
I am not surprised you want to now distance yourself from them and say you were nothing to do with them. but if you were not doing anything to stop Brexit,anyway and just sitting at home being grumpy then you no longer being interested in stopping brexit is a bit of a pointless thing to say as it doesnt look like you were interested in stopping it at all anyway.

Why am I distancing myself by saying I only speak for myself or entering a discussion about it with you? I'm not sitting at home grumpy, I'm on this thread because I was discussing particular points about what looks like might happen after we properly leave. I'm not fulfilling any of the things you are saying. How long are you just going to go on ranting at people you believe are all one big body of people who didn't support leave? You are a little unhinged if you don't mind me saying/

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Why am I distancing myself by saying I only speak for myself or entering a discussion about it with you? I'm not sitting at home grumpy, I'm on this thread because I was discussing particular points about what looks like might happen after we properly leave. I'm not fulfilling any of the things you are saying. How long are you just going to go on ranting at people you believe are all one big body of people who didn't support leave? You are a little unhinged if you don't mind me saying/

I dont mind you saying at all, as Watford bloke has repeatedly pointed out i am clearly very happy at the brexit outcome happening
I will enjoy for a long time yet taking the piss out of the people on here who thought they could get away with stealing democracy. especially since they failed and some of them are quite clearly still absolutely livid about that

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
yeah ok, you won the argument, the referendum decision was indeed ignored and our membership never ended

What? Let's try to answer my post again, but read it through. Unless you can't, which is the more likely one given the response.

It's their democratic right and no one has stopped them but they shouldn't be surprised many get a tad angry at their stance as ignoring democratic votes they don't like can also be interpreted as an entry point for totalitarianism.

I'm not quite sure I agree that trying to turn over things people don't like can be classed as an entry point for totalitarianism, although I (genuinely) am willing to be proved wrong if you can expand on that?
I get people would be pissed off with it - but they aren't 'ignoring' it as it is happening, they are just protesting about it with the aim for possible reform - its the same overall concept as civil rights, equal rights for women, legalising drugs etc etc - all things people feel strongly about and want to change. It might not be to everyones tastes, but they've got a right to fight for their beliefs. It's when that stops, or is suppressed is when we begin to have real problems.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What? Let's try to answer my post again, but read it through. Unless you can't, which is the more likely one given the response.

I'm not quite sure I agree that trying to turn over things people don't like can be classed as an entry point for totalitarianism, although I (genuinely) am willing to be proved wrong if you can expand on that?
I get people would be pissed off with it - but they aren't 'ignoring' it as it is happening, they are just protesting about it with the aim for possible reform - its the same overall concept as civil rights, equal rights for women, legalising drugs etc etc - all things people feel strongly about and want to change. It might not be to everyones tastes, but they've got a right to fight for their beliefs. It's when that stops, or is suppressed is when we begin to have real problems.

Trying to influence how we actually leave after the decision to leave had been made, ie respecting the decision to Leave and accepting we should therefore Leave, was very very different from saying we shouldn’t even leave, even if that is what was voted for…`you didn’t know what you were doing-please vote again`….or even saying just ignore the decision to leave all together, revoke our notice of withdrawal and simply Remain members….ie screw the referendum decision result.

Wont be surprised if an increasing number on here will try to distance themselves from ever supporting that stance. I would be ashamed too

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Trying to influence how we actually leave after the decision to leave had been made, ie respecting the decision to Leave and accepting we should therefore Leave, was very very different from saying we shouldn’t even leave, even if that is what was voted for…`you didn’t know what you were doing-please vote again`….or even saying just ignore the decision to leave all together, revoke our notice of withdrawal and simply Remain members….ie screw the referendum decision result.

Wont be surprised if an increasing number on here will try to distance themselves from ever supporting that stance. I would be ashamed too

But the point that has been time and time again missed entirely is: only because something has been decided, if you feel strongly enough about it then why should you stop fighting it? The spirit of democracy is that things can be overturned if there is a big enough demand for it, if the public feeling is strong enough. Maybe there is for Brexit, maybe there isn't (and none of us here know that, even if some think they do) - but it's a dangerous mindset to just think people should just fall in line and accept things if they feel strongly enough.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

You have always come across as a sensible reasoned poster on this thread

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But the point that has been time and time again missed entirely is: only because something has been decided, if you feel strongly enough about it then why should you stop fighting it? The spirit of democracy is that things can be overturned if there is a big enough demand for it, if the public feeling is strong enough. Maybe there is for Brexit, maybe there isn't (and none of us here know that, even if some think they do) - but it's a dangerous mindset to just think people should just fall in line and accept things if they feel strongly enough.

And made time and time again that the decision had been made and we should honour the decision.......as everyone agreed prior to the vote that the decision given by the vote should be respected...........until the side that lost said "actually ....sod that"
The point has been made time and time again that you are fully entitled to overturn the decision to leave and campaign to rejoin the EU. No one is stopping you. If there is ever a referendum to re-join the EU and the re-join vote wins i would not support any movement that said ` screw the referendum result,ignore the decision to re-join, we should continue to stay out as non members"......it wouldnt happen anyway as our side of the argument believe democratic referendum results should be honoured and enacted not ignored

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
And made time and time again that the decision had been made and we should honour the decision.......as everyone agreed prior to the vote that the decision given by the vote should be respected...........until the side that lost said "actually ....sod that"
The point has been made time and time again that you are fully entitled to overturn the decision to leave and campaign to rejoin the EU. No one is stopping you. If there is ever a referendum to re-join the EU and the re-join vote wins i would not support any movement that said ` screw the referendum result,ignore the decision to re-join, we should continue to stay out as non members"......it wouldnt happen anyway as our side of the argument believe democratic referendum results should be honoured and enacted not ignored

I don't recall everyone agreeing before the vote that it should be respected, i'm sure you can provide a link for that?

The point is, if you felt strongly enough about something, why should you wait until the thing you don't want to happen, has happened before stopping it? Who defined this as the way it should be done? Would you not try to stop a fire from taking hold of a building before trying to put it out?

it wouldnt happen anyway as our side of the argument believe democratic referendum results should be honoured and enacted not ignored

and if you believe that, I have a bridge over Brooklyn i'd like to sell to you.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I don't recall everyone agreeing before the vote that it should be respected, i'm sure you can provide a link for that?

The point is, if you felt strongly enough about something, why should you wait until the thing you don't want to happen, has happened before stopping it? Who defined this as the way it should be done? Would you not try to stop a fire from taking hold of a building before trying to put it out?

when i said everyone i did of course mean normal people who would respect the outcome of a democratic vote.

Didnt you go into the vote with the knowledge that if Remain won the UK should Remain in The EU and if Leave won the UK should Leave the EU.?
or
Did you go into the vote with the belief if Remain won the UK should Remain in the EU and if Leave won the UK should ignore that decision and Remain in the EU as well?.

and if you believe that, I have a bridge over Brooklyn i'd like to sell to you.

Your answer will say if my belief is correct

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
when i said everyone i did of course mean normal people who would respect the outcome of a democratic vote.

Didnt you go into the vote with the knowledge that if Remain won the UK should Remain in The EU and if Leave won the UK should Leave the EU.?
or
Did you go into the vote with the belief if Remain won the UK should Remain in the EU and if Leave won the UK should ignore that decision and Remain in the EU as well?.

I went into the vote knowing full well that whichever way it went, there would be unrest and people on the other side of the result would be pissed about it and would probably want to try to subvert that, whether it was before or after the actual event of 'brexit' took place. Cos it's their right to do that, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

Maybe i'm just a miserable skeptic, but i certainly wasn't naive to think that the side that came out second, were simply going to shrug their shoulders and go 'oh well, we tried'.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I went into the vote knowing full well that whichever way it went, there would be unrest and people on the other side of the result would be pissed about it and would probably want to try to subvert that, whether it was before or after the actual event of 'brexit' took place. Cos it's their right to do that, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.

Maybe i'm just a miserable skeptic, but i certainly wasn't naive to think that the side that came out second, were simply going to shrug their shoulders and go 'oh well, we tried'.

10/10 for avoidance

have another go

or

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

wot? even if you were demonstrably lied to and manipulated like fukin mugs?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
wot? even if you were demonstrably lied to and manipulated like fukin mugs?

I wasnt lied to or manipulated though.
My vote like millions of other leave voters was already decided before any referendum campaign. I never had a vote on its predecessor and EEC membership and The 2016 referendum just happened to be the first referendum anyone had had in this country on membership of the European Union.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just intrested in which country is rated the best according to USNews.com 2020 Best 4 Countries are;

#1. Switzerland.
#2. Canada.
#3. Japan.
#4. Germany.

Switzerland definitely the greatest country out of those 4
But in fairness to Germany they have had to spend over 70 years trying to be welcomed back into the human race. Its a tough ongoing gig.
4th Not a bad effort though considering

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here