Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm sorry, and I'm really not having a pop at you personally, and I agree that if they managed to put anything in place by the end of the year, it will be a total disaster but,

the third round of trade deals - Really ?

I wouldn't be the one who starts the second round with 'that deal we did was far too advantageous to you and was not good for us, so we would now like to re-negotiate it all please' ???
I think it will be more a case that the first disastrous deal will focus on limited sectors and will agree to focus on other sectors in part 2 etc.

That way Johnson gets his deal without appearing to extend the deadline, but in fact does extend the deadline in practice.

Anyway I'll leave the NSC Trade experts to chew this over for the next few months.

:wave:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Struggling there I see Dave ! Unless of course you've swallowed the EU's belief it's really a country - after all it has a currency, a flag, an anthem, a parliament, a central bank and a foreign minister.

Struggling a bit with the 'other side of the world' part of my post a bit there :wink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The silent majority...

Capture.JPG

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Struggling there I see Dave ! Unless of course you've swallowed the EU's belief it's really a country - after all it has a currency, a flag, an anthem, a parliament, a central bank and a foreign minister.

Australia is another country ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD. Countries that make up the EU are not. Ask Brexiteers who live in Australia.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's up to those in charge to make the 2nd, and 3rd Trade deals much better for the population. Fail to do so, and they are out without any doubt.

Indeed
Considering the time issue is challenging to say the least, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if there were interim agreements before a full-blown FTA, The EU themselves are very partial to Association Agreements, Stabilisation Agreements, Trade Enhancement Agreements, Economic Partnership Agreements as a stepping stone towards further preferential agreements, Canada and S Korea FTAs for example started off as other trade agreements before becoming a FTA. It wouldn’t be a case of tearing up an interim agreement because both sides hated it and thought it was crap, more a case of progressing to more preferential terms.
The UK though has an advantage time wise too over previous agreements that have been lengthy as many provisions needed to be signed off will already be in place and active during the transition period.
An interim agreement would give Boris the excuse he would like not to have to extend the transition period, which he is dead set against doing, and would make any concerns about “no deal” (at the end of the transition) null and void.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I think it will be more a case that the first disastrous deal will focus on limited sectors and will agree to focus on other sectors in part 2 etc.

That way Johnson gets his deal without appearing to extend the deadline, but in fact does extend the deadline in practice.

Anyway I'll leave the NSC Trade experts to chew this over for the next few months.

:wave:

Funniest line on here for quite some time :lolol::thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting week this week with a decision on Huawei and how that will affect any UK/US trade deal, Javid at some point will have to decide how much he thinks we are going to/can diverge from the EU in order to get a free trade deal (or not) with them and will Boris finally admit that the's been lying and that there will need to be checks with GB-NI goods.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Most people who vote Tory don't give a toss who went to Eton or who inherited wealth, it is many of the Lefties who are obsessed with this!
Talk about sweeping statements and false stereotypes.
Thought you were better than this, TB.

Terrific how the word 'lefties' is being used again. I thought it went out with the Ford Corsair and Jack Jones so perhaps it's being employed in a post-modern ironic sense. It doesn't really touch me as I'm not one but I'd love to know.

PS - Keith Joseph, Thatcher's mentor on high Tory ideology, once railed against inherited wealth. He felt that income tax should be kept low and inheritance tax high, believing that this would encourage hard work and distributive free spending. I suppose he was a Rightie.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
They have played a massive part in the decision. In 10-15 years time, if it turns out to be the wrong decision, then at least we tried. The EU would always have this country back. In the meantime, it's time to move forward, no amount of moaning will reverse the result.

Do you seriously think it's like taking a wrong turning when you're out for a walk? Retrace your steps, get back to where you started, no real harm done?

In 10-15 years time, if it "turns out to be the wrong decision", there will be no way back to what we threw away (if, that is, there is still a UK at all). The cost will run to trillions, much of it gone abroad, never to return. And the responsibility for that will lie entirely with you and everyone who voted for it, much though you'd like to shift the blame elsewhere.

Still, even if you didn't think through all the implications properly, I'm sure Mouldy, Two Profs and the knuckle-dragging fairy did, so there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Terrific how the word 'lefties' is being used again. I thought it went out with the Ford Corsair and Jack Jones so perhaps it's being employed in a post-modern ironic sense. It doesn't really touch me as I'm not one but I'd love to know.

PS - Keith Joseph, Thatcher's mentor on high Tory ideology, once railed against inherited wealth. He felt that income tax should be kept low and inheritance tax high, believing that this would encourage hard work and distributive free spending. I suppose he was a Rightie.

Really terrific that 'lefties' is being used again, isn't it.Well, whatever does it for you!
Actually I don't think it went out with the Corsair and Jack Jones and I am pretty certain it was used in the GE thread on here and in the media.
P.S.Re Keith Joseph, yup, I reckon he was a Rightie.............a sort of boffiny academic 'Rightie', I seem to recall, although I am far from an expert on KJ's political theories.
Righty-ho!:D

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Really terrific that 'lefties' is being used again, isn't it.Well, whatever does it for you!
Actually I don't think it went out with the Corsair and Jack Jones and I am pretty certain it was used in the GE thread on here and in the media.
P.S.Re Keith Joseph, yup, I reckon he was a Rightie.............a sort of boffiny academic 'Rightie', I seem to recall, although I am far from an expert on KJ's political theories.
Righty-ho!:D

Lefties, Righties... I suppose I qualify as a Sentry. Pip-pip.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here