Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Can someone outline what improvements we should be expecting after Feb 1st?

What is the government suggesting that we should be looking forward to after Brexit?

What will it all mean in real terms for the 'Workington' man?

We're getting a spangly new 50p piece (and Blue passports, of course)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes i am happy free movement will be coming to an end.
I truly believe an immigration system that does not discriminate unfairly for EU citizens over other nationalities will be a benefit to the country.
I suppose it is too early to expect detail on how things will look past Brexit. When do you think things will start to become clearer and details released?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is no doubt that you won, we are leaving the EU and you should enjoy your celebrations and Big Ben Bong. With yourself, Two profs, Ppf, Mouldy Boots, Baker lite (well that's two of you, at least) Nigel Farage, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and Ann Widdecombe, I bet the party will be an absolute delight :thumbsup:

(Shame I won't be able to make it as I will be washing my hair or watching paint dry or something)

I just think that the Government should be held to account to ensure that it delivers exactly what it promised you during the election campaign in order to get your vote. I'm sure you wouldn't want it to turn out that you have been naive and lied to. So, we just need to ensure that over the next 11 months (if Johnson hasn't lied :wink:), you get what you voted for and find out what you have won. Surely only an idiot wouldn't want that.

I'm afraid the only thing you have won so far is a border down the Irish Sea with onerous new administrative procedures for anything moving across it in both directions, causing significant problems for business on both sides of this new border. (Afraid he lied about 'no new administration or processes' during the campaign).

I bet you can't wait to see what else you have won over the next 11 months :smile:

Setting aside a small minority who think they know exactly what will happen after we leave, and who take massive issue with people who disagree (and I am talking remainers and leavers, here - and even include, among those falling into the trap, myself on occasions), they will get what they voted for. They voted 'leave'. We leave. That's it. They didn't vote for any specific type of Brexit. That wasn't on the ballot.

The gleeful leavers differ from you and I in one respect only. They think everything is now going to be Fantastic, and we don't.

None of us know what will happen, but all of us think we have a good idea. We shall see who was right.

Probably time to close this thread now, and someone start a 'Now we've left, how's Brexit going for you?' thread :shrug:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I suppose it is too early to expect detail on how things will look past Brexit. When do you think things will start to become clearer and details released?

Maybe when we start giving up our new found 'control of our borders' and offering pasta's hated 'Discriminatory immigration' as part of the negotiations of the 40 replacement trade deals over the next 11 months ???

I've just realised that would mean giving up 'control of our borders' on the same day we finally get it back at the end of the implementation period. Now that definitely wouldn't happen, would it :shootself

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yes i am happy free movement will be coming to an end.
I truly believe an immigration system that does not discriminate unfairly for EU citizens over other nationalities will be a benefit to the country.

Of course the actual impacts of the new policy is one of the (many) unknowables of the Brexit project. I can see and recognise the argument for a more nuanced immigration system than the free movement of EU one. It might work very well. On the other hand, some of those (please note not all!) who voted for Leave on the issue of immigration might not be wholly happy with the result when their Polish neighbours move out and who knows who moves in.
I think it's fair to say that Johnson's approach so far on post-Brexit immigration policy is about as fully developed as his policy on social care i.e, vague and (dare I say) not really fully thought through.
In the fullness of time, when he's had enough time to do what he promised, I wonder just how 'success' will be evaluated.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
We all have the official leave campaign manifesto. We can all check and see how close it is to the final negotiated deal. I'm sure all the leave and remain voters will all be outraged if it is not anything like they promised in 2016.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

If it all goes badly wrong, there is no escape to another 27 countries, sorry everyone we're stuck here...

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Yes too early to predict what the final outcome will be, much to be negotiated during the transition period.
the important part though for now is the legal leaving of the EU and the UK parliament taking back control . Lets not forget the entering into a transition period is only done so by the virtue of parliament and no longer by virtue of an adherence to EU treaties.
Small but giant steps

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If it all goes badly wrong, there is no escape to another 27 countries, sorry everyone we're stuck here...

Where did you see this information that we won't be able to move to any of the EU 27 ? When are they blocking up their borders ? At least we'll have the other 170+ countries we can move to.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Of course the actual impacts of the new policy is one of the (many) unknowables of the Brexit project. I can see and recognise the argument for a more nuanced immigration system than the free movement of EU one. It might work very well. On the other hand, some of those (please note not all!) who voted for Leave on the issue of immigration might not be wholly happy with the result when their Polish neighbours move out and who knows who moves in.
I think it's fair to say that Johnson's approach so far on post-Brexit immigration policy is about as fully developed as his policy on social care i.e, vague and (dare I say) not really fully thought through.
In the fullness of time, when he's had enough time to do what he promised, I wonder just how 'success' will be evaluated.

I fully agree the immigration policy is not fully developed. i would sort of expect that. There is still much negotiating to be done with many different partners over the next months that will define the final immigration policy.
EU free movement though will be ending. At least now a UK government is free to have an independent immigration policy separate from the EU policy and you can vote on their success or non success regarding EU immigration accordingly

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
There is no doubt that you won, we are leaving the EU and you should enjoy your celebrations and Big Ben Bong. With yourself, Two profs, Ppf, Mouldy Boots, Baker lite (well that's two of you, at least) Nigel Farage, Jacob Rees-Mogg, Stephen Yaxley-Lennon and Ann Widdecombe, I bet the party will be an absolute delight :thumbsup:

(Shame I won't be able to make it as I will be washing my hair or watching paint dry or something)

I just think that the Government should be held to account to ensure that it delivers exactly what it promised you during the election campaign in order to get your vote. I'm sure you wouldn't want it to turn out that you have been naive and lied to. So, we just need to ensure that over the next 11 months (if Johnson hasn't lied :wink:), you get what you voted for and find out what you have won. Surely only an idiot wouldn't want that.

I'm afraid the only thing you have won so far is a border down the Irish Sea with onerous new administrative procedures for anything moving across it in both directions, causing significant problems for business on both sides of this new border. (Afraid he lied about 'no new administration or processes' during the campaign).

I bet you can't wait to see what else you have won over the next 11 months :smile:

:bla:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Maybe when we start giving up our new found 'control of our borders' and offering pasta's hated 'Discriminatory immigration' as part of the negotiations of the 40 replacement trade deals over the next 11 months ???

I've just realised that would mean giving up 'control of our borders' on the same day we finally get it back at the end of the implementation period. Now that definitely wouldn't happen, would it :shootself

:dunce:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

:bla:

I think that if I have a fault, it's vastly overestimating some people's attention span :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

:dunce:

Maybe you should keep your hat and put it with your spade from earlier. I'll remind you to get them out when immigration quotas come up in the trade negotiations :wink:

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
On the other hand, some of those (please note not all!) who voted for Leave on the issue of immigration might not be wholly happy with the result when their Polish neighbours move out and who knows who moves in.

Lets be honest - Everybody knew EXACTLY what they were voting for. They all knew that outside of Europe the rest of the world is made up of mostly developing countries and a lot of them are Muslim and everybody loves Muslims and people from developing countries and wants more of of them in The UK to create a more multi cultural, diverse society. They wouldn't have voted leave otherwise (A pint of Harvey's in the Horse & Groom in St Leonards on a Friday lunchtime when prayers are going on over the road at Hastings Mosque will easily confirm this) It's not like anyone thought this 'Australian style points system' was going to be more like the South African immigration system in 1976 rather than what Australia's really was in 2016 was it with 200,000 net migration from all over Asia was it?

I have to say though that having both lived in a developing country and with an Eastern European in The UK in the form of my ex girlfriend from the Czech Republic, I know what my preference is. (I wont go into details though, as talking about Czech ex girlfriends with pasta around could get him over excited.)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
coutdown-and-keep-calm.png

p07w88gw.jpg
:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here