Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think most people can see the irony of the situation. Well unless they have to square it away with themselves somehow.

The only people that seem to think it is ironic are people who dont seem to be able to recognise that a one off binary option Referendum on a specific question and general elections that can be held numerous times are not the same thing.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The only people that seem to think it is ironic are people who dont seem to be able to recognise that a one off binary option Referendum on a specific question and general elections that can be held numerous times are not the same thing.

There are certainly differences in the two, but there are also similarities.

I won't waste my time trying to get you to recognize the similarities. I think you have way too much invested.

Hope you are well though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

I won't waste my time trying to get you to recognize the similarities. I think you have way too much invested.

Dont be one of the silly people Fishy. You are better than that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What is this blasphemy from football manager 2020
9b054825a356ae2cb5333f93e2da44db.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
LOL- what a negative outlook you have
In that case we havnt accepted a deal for Jamie Vardy and therefore the deal to sign him is officially rejected even though negotiations to sign Vardy havnt commenced and its highly unlikely Leicester are even thinking about selling him to us anyway.

You mean we aren’t likely to have a trade deal with Australia at any time then, if that is your analogy?

We have a trade deal with Australia right now, that will end as we leave the EU. We want to negotiate a new one, but Australia don’t like all the terms that we want.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
**** me! Is this thread still going? I’m assuming that after 31 Jan we can archive it and certain posters not interested in the Albion can leave NSC and go and find something else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

It is imperative politically that Leave advocates hang on to their 'one off' mantra on referenda, even though several other countries have a more sensible approach; it locks us all in to their ideological prospectus, even when voters change their minds in the light of bad things happening. No doubt you'll hear it a lot more as time goes by......

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
**** me! Is this thread still going? I’m assuming that after 31 Jan we can archive it and certain posters not interested in the Albion can leave NSC and go and find something else to do.

Did you think that 'Brexit' and its consequences would be resolved on January 31st and ready to be archived? Genuine question.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

If, after the 31st Jan, we have left the EU, paid the divorce bill, completed the 'implementation period', agreed the border policies for the Irish sea border, negotiated the EU trade deal and replaced the other 40 EU trade deals, then yes, I think it will be archived.

And if Johnson claimed to be able to do that, in that timescale, I would bet there are still a fair few on here that would believe him :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Genuinely can't tell if joking or not.

This is like popping into a World Cup Final thread 1 hour before the final starts, saying you can't believe there's still a World Cup Final thread going.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Genuinely can't tell if joking or not.

This is like popping into a World Cup Final thread 1 hour before the final starts, saying you can't believe there's still a World Cup Final thread going.

I think it was more a comment about the same old voices saying the same old things.

It feels like a futile thread for any meaningful debate on the issues related to Brexit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think it was more a comment about the same old voices saying the same old things.

It feels like a futile thread for any meaningful debate on the issues related to Brexit.

Ah, yeah fair point.

This thread is basically an endless loop.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Ah, yeah fair point.

Usually futile but maybe better than we think it is. I haven't changed my mind about Brexit and the vote but I've learnt things from both sides of the argument. It would be nice if the debate could be in the same spirit as the face-to-face conversations many of us have with opposite-view friends but some on here feel the need to indulge in keyboard ranting and childish windups. There are a couple of posters who deliver interesting points and I respect their views but they clearly have only contempt for mine. That doesn't upset me but it is a waste, and might say more about what drives some Brexiteers than the points they actually make. If anything has caused me to drift away it's that. Not to worry.

(I admit I would like Ppf exterminated though.)

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Ah, yeah fair point.

In many ways I do agree; as far as possible we need to focus on the Brexit fallout as it develops and debate in an informed and civilised fashion and 'archive' the 'leaving' part which obviously is a settled matter.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You mean we aren’t likely to have a trade deal with Australia at any time then, if that is your analogy?

We have a trade deal with Australia right now, that will end as we leave the EU. We want to negotiate a new one, but Australia don’t like all the terms that we want.

I don’t know how you can think I am saying we aren’t likely to have a trade deal with Australia at any time when only a few posts ago I pointed out the Australian trade minister himself was confident a free trade deal could be completed by the end of the transition period.

You don’t seem to understand trade negotiations with Australia have not begun, they cannot begin until after we have left the EU. All that is happening now is trade working groups laying the groundwork for process.
Liz Truss floating an idea last year that downing street slapped her wrists for and backed away from, an idea the Australians wouldn’t want and an idea the Australians don’t even think will be on the negotiating table anyway when negotiations start is not laying out terms.
You do know the EU and Australia have only recently opened negotiation for a free trade deal and they have not yet concluded? All that is in place is a Partnership Framework agreement which falls far short of anything that can be considered a free trade deal and a EU-Aus Mutual Recognition Agreement which will continue after we have left the EU because a new roll-over one has already been signed last year between the UK and Aus. Many Australian goods are subject to tariffs and tariff rate quotas at the moment when entering the EU (and by extension the UK).

It is imperative politically that Leave advocates hang on to their 'one off' mantra on referenda, even though several other countries have a more sensible approach; it locks us all in to their ideological prospectus, even when voters change their minds in the light of bad things happening. No doubt you'll hear it a lot more as time goes by......

The one off nature of the referendum and respecting the outcome of the one off vote is not a mantra belonging solely to leavers, it was common knowledge even amongst those that advocated remain. Since you seem to have missed this here is a recap.

[tweet]1111574696670183426[/tweet]

I don’t see why there will be the need to repeat it a lot more after we have left the EU, hopefully those that didn’t want to respect the outcome and wanted to do the opposite by revoking leaving and those that wanted the one off referendum done again will have finally realised their efforts to achieve a different outcome other from the decision to leave given by the referendum have failed, the public has shown a clear indication that referendum decisions should be respected after all, and that particular issue is now finally settled.
Some people will obviously find it hard adapting to this reality they now find themselves in, but perhaps they should have just listened all along when told their scuppering tactics would not succeed and should not be allowed to.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t know how you can think I am saying we aren’t likely to have a trade deal with Australia at any time when only a few posts ago I pointed out the Australian trade minister himself was confident a free trade deal could be completed by the end of the transition period.

You don’t seem to understand trade negotiations with Australia have not begun, they cannot begin until after we have left the EU. All that is happening now is trade working groups laying the groundwork for process.
Liz Truss floating an idea last year that downing street slapped her wrists for and backed away from, an idea the Australians wouldn’t want and an idea the Australians don’t even think will be on the negotiating table anyway when negotiations start is not laying out terms.
You do know the EU and Australia have only recently opened negotiation for a free trade deal and they have not yet concluded? All that is in place is a Partnership Framework agreement which falls far short of anything that can be considered a free trade deal and a EU-Aus Mutual Recognition Agreement which will continue after we have left the EU because a new roll-over one has already been signed last year between the UK and Aus. Many Australian goods are subject to tariffs and tariff rate quotas at the moment when entering the EU (and by extension the UK).

The one off nature of the referendum and respecting the outcome of the one off vote is not a mantra belonging solely to leavers, it was common knowledge even amongst those that advocated remain. Since you seem to have missed this here is a recap.

[tweet]1111574696670183426[/tweet]

I don’t see why there will be the need to repeat it a lot more after we have left the EU, hopefully those that didn’t want to respect the outcome and wanted to do the opposite by revoking leaving and those that wanted the one off referendum done again will have finally realised their efforts to achieve a different outcome other from the decision to leave given by the referendum have failed, the public has shown a clear indication that referendum decisions should be respected after all, and that particular issue is now finally settled.
Some people will obviously find it hard adapting to this reality they now find themselves in, but perhaps they should have just listened all along when told their scuppering tactics would not succeed and should not be allowed to.

I don’t think that about you at all.

Once in a lifetime? I’ve already voted in two. The rest is waffle. You know very well why I will never respect the result, as I have quoted the High Court verdict from February 2019, several times

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here