Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not in my nature to boast either. But weren’t the Brexiteers on here treated by some as dim racists for 4 years? Either way, Thursday night was always going to lead to the release of a lot of pent up mental energy.

Looking at the charge sheet, it seems they have elected a dim racist as Prime Minister ? Still, the disaster and decline ahead will be Johnson's to own.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Because he is the lesser of 2 evils. Because a UK under Corbyn would put this country back into the dark ages. Because any decent hard working person would be taxed to F*** to pay for his ridiculous and totally unworkable policies. Because Corbyn considers me 'rich' and need to pay more in taxes to support those that don't want work.

I am considered rich because I earn £50k a year. I work my @rse off every day of the week. I do manual labour, outside in the sun, rain snow wind frost and any other conditions the UK weather throws at me. My work has a high danger factor, I mess up and I could easily be crippled for life, at best. I don't take risks, it's just the nature of the profession that I do.

I have 2 brothers in law. One is married to my wife's sister. They have 3 kids. He's a few years younger than me, early 50s. He's worked 2 years of his life after he left university, 30 odd years ago. Never worked a day in his life since. Totally healthy and capable of working, choses not too. Voted Labour because his benefits aren't enough. My wife's brother is 50 next year. He has a part time job, works 15 hrs a week as a martial arts instructor so is a lot more fit than me. Never left home. Supports Labour and Corbyn because 'society' isn't supporting him enough. Doesn't get that 'i' am that society, along with the rest of the 'workers' "who pay in taxes.

This is off the Brexit theme but is why I voted for Boris apart from getting the bloody thing finished.

It's fair enough and I can understand your reasons for voting for Johnson, even if I wouldn't personally do the same, in the same situation. (And, if you have a family to support, housing, food bills etc in the South-East, I don't think £50K pa can be considered 'rich' in any sense).

I think that by voting for Johnson, there is every chance your 2 brothers in law will suffer the exact effects that you are hoping for, and I wouldn't for a minute attempt to defend them. My worry is how many 'innocent' people (including children) who don't get benefits as a life choice, but will also be caught up in the oncoming benefits squeeze and Universal Credit roll out.

Unfortunately, on your second point. I think that if you believe that Johnson is going to get Brexit 'finished' in anything under 10 years, you are going to be sadly disappointed.

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You told me your username was a literary reference.Trust eh...

Just a pointer to his real identity.That palarse supporter,Baldeagle,would be my bet.He was one of the infantile farmyard language users,the rest still use their regular names.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Read your reply.

I know we have the veto of joining the army but I don't trust our politicians to keep us out of it. WE, the people, don't have a veto, THEY, the Govt do. And you only have to look at the War Criminal that's Blair to realise that THEY will do things that are not in our best interests.

Joining the Euro. See above. Sure we didn't have to join per the Maastricht Treaty, but again I don't trust those who have the say, not to. I wouldn't have gotten a vote or say on whether we join or not. Just like the people of France and Germany etc... Didn't get a say.

It's not just the Court of justice, its the whole raft of laws from the insane EU bureaucracy.

Look at what the EU started at and what we signed up for vs what we have now and how far we've been taken down the road of more and more controlled by the EU. Then my fears above have a very real legitimacy.

By taking us out of the EU, we've stopped this so the Blairs of this country don't take us down those paths.

So where is the BS in this that I have swallowed?

There was a piece of legislation that would have required a referendum in the UK if any Government had tried to join the Euro or Army or anything else that would change our relationship with the EU, so there is where some Bullshit has been swallowed as you believe "we" could not veto.

The raft of laws from the EU bureaucracy is because that is what it is, a law making bureaucracy, it is it's job to legislate for the members in certain areas, the main source is for the functioning of the single market, it is important that we all have the same definitions, and standards for products. The bit the right didn't like is the comparatively small amount of laws that have come through the EU having powers in health and safety and workers rights. Now it might be that you genuinely are upset that Brussels decides that your sofa must be fire resistant, and how it should be labelled to show that, rather than the UK designing their own label and law, but I bet you don't really.

Now the withdrawal act has repealed the legislation that gave the UK a referendum on any commitments to the EU being added, there is nothing to stop Johnson committing to anything he can get through Parliament as part of a trade deal, which with his now massive majority, he won't have to worry about it upsetting the ERG loons.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Just a pointer to his real identity.That palarse supporter,Baldeagle,would be my bet.He was one of the infantile farmyard language users,the rest still use their regular names.

[MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION]: 'I got owned by GG within his first 10 posts, mainly because I argued against my own arguments and looked a complete tool. So, to try and distract from this I started calling him a second account.'

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, a million or so people had a go. They stuck their hands in their pockets, they made their posters, they wrote their letters, signed petitions, marched peacefully along. And in the end it seems they failed. But I would rather fail like this than be just another little jeer leader sitting at his keyboard, keeping warm, doing nothing, poking fun at those who at least tried.
"Just another little jeer leader sitting at his keyboard, keeping warm, doing nothing, poking fun...................................."

Substitute bile, spite and abuse for 'fun' and you have an accurate description of many remainers, including, sadly, quite a few fellow NSCers on this very thread. It did them little credit. Respect though to the many remainers who accepted the result of the referendum - reluctantly obviously, but with good grace and without the need to vent their spleen in a most unpleasant way.

Unicorns, anyone?

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There was a piece of legislation that would have required a referendum in the UK if any Government had tried to join the Euro or Army or anything else that would change our relationship with the EU, so there is where some Bullshit has been swallowed as you believe "we" could not veto.

The raft of laws from the EU bureaucracy is because that is what it is, a law making bureaucracy, it is it's job to legislate for the members in certain areas, the main source is for the functioning of the single market, it is important that we all have the same definitions, and standards for products. The bit the right didn't like is the comparatively small amount of laws that have come through the EU having powers in health and safety and workers rights. Now it might be that you genuinely are upset that Brussels decides that your sofa must be fire resistant, and how it should be labelled to show that, rather than the UK designing their own label and law, but I bet you don't really.

Now the withdrawal act has repealed the legislation that gave the UK a referendum on any commitments to the EU being added, there is nothing to stop Johnson committing to anything he can get through Parliament as part of a trade deal, which with his now massive majority, he won't have to worry about it upsetting the ERG loons.

And of course when we leave, we still have to maintain such things as fire resistance standards, only we will have to jump through hoops in order to certify that we meet the current standards in order to trade with our nearest trading partners, the EU !

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This will be the last Christmas inside the EU for all of us I expect ... is anyone doing anything special?

Usual traditional Christmas for me but I'm heading to London to celebrate the New Year .... 2020 Brexit Britain Party time! :rave:

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
We had a referendum and people such as yourself did not accept the result. Therefore I voted Tory....

I accepted the result, but was the against the extreme form of Brexit that was trying to be forced through; a brexit that wasn't campaigned for by the leave campaign. Own your vote and accept that you made Johnson PM

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And of course when we leave, we still have to maintain such things as fire resistance standards, only we will have to jump through hoops in order to certify that we meet the current standards in order to trade with our nearest trading partners, the EU !

so no change to present, except for all those not trading with UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here