Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The dismal performance of the Lib Dems is pretty much the nail in the coffin of “the people’s vote”.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So best of 5 surely for Democracy to be upheld.............

No, you can't put a number on it - for some people democracy means as many as it takes to get the 'right' answer.

PS I'll give this thread about ten minutes before it is lobbed by a mod into the cess-pit of the Brexit thread.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Interesting about MPs and large salaries when a guy on question time doing a nothing job earns more than them....

You are correct tho the issue lies in the fact that some of our politicians are often not really focused on the people but the options it opens up. Maybe if politicians were reviewed each year based on what they delivered against target (as many people are) then they could be sacked or where they have criminally lied put in prison and taht should apply to all politicians of any persuasion.

1. Houses of Parliament are no longer fit for purpose hand over to the national trust
2. Build new Parliment in the Midlands
3. Adjacent to new Parliment build hotel, offices, exercise,security and press facilities
4. Every sitting MP gets room and office facilities for their exclusive use while an MP
5. Ban second homes
6. Ban expences pay each MP a decent £100,000 salary
7. Ban political party donations parties can only raise money through membership
8. Political parties to receive funds from the state to undertake elections amount based upon membership numbers
9.Change the voting system to proportional system
10. Second house to be elected
11. Individuals who want to become an MP can only do so if they have held a previous paid work for ten years
12. Individuals who wish to stand for the second house can only do so if they have a minimum of twenty years paid work
13. MPs and second house ministers can not hold any other paid work while in office
14. MPs and second house ministers can not take up paid work related to their ministerial for five years after leaving politics
15.All Political parties can not make statements that include statistics unless they come from one source

Jan 30, 2008
Congratulations, you got what you wanted and I'm sure you are very happy :thumbsup:

Now that you have Johnson as PM with a huge majority, Brexit should be very straightforward and simple. There really are no more excuses for not 'Getting Brexit Done'. So when do you think we can actually stop paying all those millions into the EU and stop having to stick to all their rules and regulations ?
why not tell us Mr know it all :wink:
regards
DF

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
More people voted for Remain and second referendum parties (52.66%) than Leave ones (47.33%). Doris Johnson only wanted an election rather than a referendum to take advantage of the first past the post system, so that's handy.

[tweet]1205468660661403649[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/jonoread/status/1205468660661403649

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Congratulations, you got what you wanted and I'm sure you are very happy :thumbsup:

Now that you have Johnson as PM with a huge majority, Brexit should be very straightforward and simple. There really are no more excuses for not 'Getting Brexit Done'. So when do you think we can actually stop paying all those millions into the EU and stop having to stick to all their rules and regulations ?

Hello Watford. I was wondering when you would pop up. Must have been a hard day for you. Yep get brexit done. We're on our way and this time we are.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'd like to think there is truth in your statement but I cannot reason how !
This result is a mandate for the Conservative government to go as hard as it wishes with no checks or balances possible from the tiny opposition benches, The Conservatives have " played a blinder" and the country has spoken in full agreement with their strategy and policies and whatever our Government decide they have the blessing of the majority of our electorate.

At my age now and with the opposition parties in total disarray ( I cannot count Labour as a single entity opposition anymore as IMHO they will not form a Government on their own in my lifetime ) the Conservatives can only lose power themselves and with the strategists, campaigners, and indeed morals* they have shown that is highly unlikely, *the electorate have endorsed bare faced lying as an acceptable strategy.

Being a remainer, I have felt since the 2016 referendum that I could not overtly support Corbyn after his showing during that campaign and the mass resignation of Labour MPs from his shadow cabinet should have been the end of him but somehow he survived and instead of his demise he has overseen the demise of a once honourable party.

As for this thread, it maybe should be consigned to the dustbin as the battle was won long ago. Congratulations.

This is nothing but guess work - as every thing is.

But Johnson has 2 options here.

1. A risky hard Brexit which could risk his legacy IF it goes wrong.
2. Quick deal and get it sorted and be the Brexit hero which would set up the next election already.

He’s not held hostage by the ERG and the Brexit party have no seats.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Hello Watford. I was wondering when you would pop up. Must have been a hard day for you. Yep get brexit done. We're on our way and this time we are.

I've been in and out all day. Yes indeed we're on our way.

The question, that you seem to have missed, was now that you have Johnson and a huge majority, it should be really straightforward, so when do you think we will get there ?

When do you think we can actually stop paying all those millions into the EU and stop having to stick to all their rules and regulations ?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
No, you can't put a number on it - for some people democracy means as many as it takes to get the 'right' answer.

PS I'll give this thread about ten minutes before it is lobbed by a mod into the cess-pit of the Brexit thread.

Absolutely true - this is the third election run by the Tories in the past four years. Voters elected the wrong representatives in 2015 so they were asked again in 2017 and once more the sods sent the wrong people to Westminster. So nothing for it: ask them yet again.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The people who voted Tory and Brexit in the northern towns will find they've been lied to soon enough. And the irony is that those of us in the cities who voted Remain and against the Tories and are better-placed to survive the economic hit will have to prop them up with our taxes.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Absolutely true - this is the third election run by the Tories in the past four years. Voters elected the wrong representatives in 2015 so they were asked again in 2017 and once more the sods sent the wrong people to Westminster. So nothing for it: ask them yet again.

...and they voted Tory not Labour at every opportunity.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I've been in and out all day. Yes indeed we're on our way.

The question, that you seem to have missed, was now that you have Johnson and a huge majority when do you think we will get there ?

When do you think we can actually stop paying all those millions into the EU and stop having to stick to all their rules and regulations ?
We'll have to see but one thing is certain it will get done.

Jan 30, 2008
The people who voted Tory and Brexit in the northern towns will find they've been lied to soon enough. And the irony is that those of us in the cities who voted Remain and against the Tories and are better-placed to survive the economic hit will have to prop them up with our taxes.

would you care to explain why you're better-placed ?
regards
DF

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Exactly this. The turkeys have voted for Christmas, nothing we can do about it now. No one can say they weren't warned so let 'em get on with it now and let's hope for the least worst outcome.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

Boris Johnson isn’t Margaret Thatcher. Economically he’s well to the left of her. Apocalyptic claims of the NHS being destroyed and the poor victimised could well be wide of the mark. Time will tell...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here