Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A disaster for you maybe but given hope to millions of others. Insulting people by the way doesn't win arguments just makes you look a tad sad

It does, and you do look sad. You escalated this discussion with the words "God remain lost get over it" which was rude and unnecessary. I responded reasonably to that, but YOU replied "The problem with most remainers is you are embarrassed at the thought that this country can be a success. Be proud of your country for a change and stop belittling it" which again was rude as well as total nonsense.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I read it and respect it although it bears no relation to people being abused because of where they come from.
And as it happens and for all it's totally irrelevant I no longer work as I am a full time carer for my wife who has advanced dementia. Before that I worked with young adults with emotional and behavioural difficulties and before that I was a teacher, Cushy? Probably, I'd have made a ****ing useless roofer! :lolol:

You seem to worry more about immigrants than Brighton born workers--- personally I've never had a problem with Polish Plumbers and have had plenty of banter with them.
Fair play to you for your current situation and your previous work :thumbsup:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I know it’s hardly scientific but just overheard some suits from Wall Street in a bar saying all this uncertainty will help strengthen New York’s position as a global financial centre – we shall see as the fall out continues.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Much like a lot of British tradesman felt when they started to get undercut by unrealistic prices.

Were they verbally abused and their kids bullied because of where they come from? I genuinely empathise and it's an element of the argument I am persuaded by but the same thing it isn't.

FWIW I brought these families to the UK over a decade ago because after extensive advertising and a competitive wage I couldn't recruit staff to work with damaged kids who are often violent. Former colleagues still in the game tell me that still pertains today. Sadly,once incited, fear and hatred doesn't stop to find out the facts

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I know it’s hardly scientific but just overheard some suits from Wall Street in a bar saying all this uncertainty will help strengthen New York’s position as a global financial centre – we shall see as the fall out continues.

This should be good for all in the long run..

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Cameron's stupid renegotiation ploy failed miserably , he would have been better off doing nothing than insulting peoples intelligence
I think he was let down by his European friends who did not give him a good deal he kept his word and he now going to step down.so give the bloke a break.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're obviously very upset with the result, which I understand and I in no way want to fan the flames. So maybe not today, but at some point can you explain the below:

The only nonsense being spouted here is yours. "if the EU say no deal, the whole EU will collapse". That right there is the stupidest thing you've ever said. I'm not going to even begin to explain why that is a crock of sh*t.
You're going to have to explain it to me. Right now we have a free trade agreement with the EU - we buy and sell goods and services with no extra tariffs. After leaving, we need a deal on whether it will still be free trade, or whether there'll be taxes etc. No deal at all means no trade with the EU. If the EU stop selling their goods to the UK, the EU will collapse. Please explain why that's nonsense.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You seem to worry more about immigrants than Brighton born workers--- personally I've never had a problem with Polish Plumbers and have had plenty of banter with them.
Fair play to you for your current situation and your previous work :thumbsup:

I like to think I'd champion anyone who is being targeted for abuse (except Farage & Johnson) :lolol:

Edit: .........and Palarse & Millwall fans

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
100%. I would have voted remain had they given us a modicum of respect during that process.
So you voted to take our country out of Europe because you feel our politicians weren't as respectful to you as they could have been when they were negotiating our EU deal?

That's a weird reason.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The EU will come down on us like a ton of bricks because they won't want any other countries getting the same idea about leaving.
When you put any thought into it, that doesn't make sense. Yes, they will want to dissuade others from following us, so one thought might be to offer us a crap deal - then we say no. What next? The EU refuse to trade with us at all - Germany stop selling us their cars, the French stop selling us their wine? That would lead to the complete collapse of the EU.

If the EU don't want other countries to leave, they need to look at why we left - we left because the EU make non democratic decisions that are not in the interests of our country. The EU need to reform, and then others won't feel the need to leave.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I take your point. But I am 44 and I've never been asked to vote on our head of state. We also have an un-elected upper chamber, and that includes hereditary peers, and we also have a election system that only seems to benefit 2 political parties (however incompetent) and where personally my vote has rarely counted for anything.

Now all of a sudden, the electorate is asked to make a life-changing irreversible decision despite being insufficiently informed of the facts. It's democratic for sure, I just don't think it's right.

A vote was called so I voted. What am I supposed to do - just ignore it because I object to it being called? What good would that do?

Had I not voted and complained about the result, what would you have accused me of then?

Do you know what a hypocrite is?

Yes thanks, I know what hypocrite means.

"A vote was called so I voted. What am I supposed to do - just ignore it because I object to it being called? What good would that do?"

It would make you a man of principle, given what you said in the first post. Unless of course you consider yourself to be the exception to the rule and fully clued up and sufficiently informed of the facts.

It's ok, I get it, and the general picture here. Remain voters are so much better informed than the divs that voted Leave.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Never

You have just contacted your mobile supplier saying you are leaving on the basis of getting a lower cost and an upgrade and they have said fine and bye.
And you are at home waiting for a call to say they we would really like you to come back to us but your phone never rings
I left Sky because they only offered me a 40% discount. Then the phone rang, and they offered me 50%. I'm not saying that will happen with the EU, but your phone analogy doesn't work.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When you put any thought into it, that doesn't make sense. Yes, they will want to dissuade others from following us, so one thought might be to offer us a crap deal - then we say no. What next? The EU refuse to trade with us at all - Germany stop selling us their cars, the French stop selling us their wine? That would lead to the complete collapse of the EU.

If the EU don't want other countries to leave, they need to look at why we left - we left because the EU make non democratic decisions that are not in the interests of our country. The EU need to reform, and then others won't feel the need to leave.

The 'EU' doesn't trade with 'us'. Individual consumers trade with individual producers.

That won't change.

What will change is the legal, trading and tax framework that regulates such trade.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The reason that I say the EU takes about 45 per cent of our exports but we take only about a third of that percentage of theirs is not because I'm a bad loser.

It's because it's true.
So what if it's true, what's your point? They still need us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The 'EU' doesn't trade with 'us'. Individual consumers trade with individual producers.

That won't change.

What will change is the legal, trading and tax framework that regulates such trade.
Yes, and either we agree a set of regulations with the EU that allows trade, or we don't. If the EU don't give us a fair deal, we can make importing from the EU totally uneconomical, and the economies across Europe will plunge into recession. That's not what they want, so if that's their choice then of course they will offer us a fair deal. Free market, free movement of people, and we pay into the EU, much like we do now. That would be fair, it would work for both of us. If that's what we offer them and we accept no less, are you seriously suggesting they'll turn it down and forgo exporting to us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here