Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Oh fancy that - when pasta rolls back on to the thread for the first time in a month late on a wet Tuesday evening, The Footy Genius just happens to be online at exactly the same time to allow some mutual backslapping between them.

What a remarkable coincidence.

Paranoia can be a side effect of heavy drinking .... keep safe. :kiss:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Without accepting the premise of people backing Boris and betting on the pound, if they had backed the pound to fall, a series of unpromising announcements, hints that he would do whatever it takes, suggestions that he might actually want the pound to tank, it moves that way. Then they back a rise, Boris tells Leo what he wants to hear, positive noises start being made and up it comes. Ideally I would guess these people, that may or may not exist, would want to successfully ride the rollercoaster and back every rise and fall along the way. If the final position is a no deal exit, it would just be the biggest fall, of the ride. There would possibly be a rise that would come when we quit no deal and beg for the withdrawal arrangements to kick in and sign up to whatever backstop arrangements they want, but Boris may not be in control of that, so maybe they would not get the info before hand.
Not saying that there is or is not any conspiracy going on, just that what is happening is not evidence that there is not a conspiracy.

Thanks, for clearing that up .... :D

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Paranoia can be a side effect of heavy drinking .... keep safe. :kiss:

So can talking to yourself - whether it's in a bus stop with a can of Tenants Super in hand, or online with an imaginary friend. It's also a side effect of cocaine use too, a much favoured drug of the middle classes, such as Brexit backing, Tory cabinet ministers.

Stay safe too, if you can. :thumbsup:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well if that was what he said it would be. (Maybe you could show where he said this ?).

He wants to remain in the customs Union. Here he is saying it in February 2018

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43189878

And here he is saying it 3 weeks ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/17/corbyn-vows-to-put-sensible-brexit-deal-to-voters-in-referendum

I think you may be getting a little confused again

We don't need a quote as his actions confirm he will vote down any deal proposed by the Tories (party before country) including the one (WA) where we remained inside the customs union until the EU allowed us to leave.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Was that the one with the border in the Irish Sea that was unacceptable to both May and Johnson?

My understanding was that this deal involves NI remaining in the UK Customs Union, with alignment with EU. Where there are tariff differences and UK tariffs are lower, NI will recieve rebate.

That is different from the plan you are talking about, which kept NI in EU Customs Union, seperating it from the UK.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
[tweet]1184429958715891712[/tweet]

[tweet]1184367596562501632[/tweet]

[tweet]1184368387612385280[/tweet]

[tweet]1184424760870133760[/tweet]

Con 37% +2
Lab 22% ±0
Lib Dem 18% -2
Brexit 11% -1
Green 5% -1
(Change since 8-9 Oct)

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have a sinking feeling that the DUP is again in charge of the UK.

This has to stop now. We are not ruled from Belfast.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dear Baby Jesus
Please fix it for somebody with a megaphone to bellow 'Shut. The. Furk. Up.' straight in the ear of that Stop Brexit wally. Sick of having his views not so subliminally broadcast to the nation every major news, er, broadcast. What an absolute COCK

D

Deleted member 2719

I’m not really sure how people like Mouldy boots actually expect anything but ridicule on here. I mean, they expect to be taken seriously?

The thing is Clamp, you will never get me, because of your lack of vision you have trouble seeing the end of your nose.

Shouldn't you be laying down on the road or something???

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Forgive me but I would like to see the exact wording of any agreed deal if it happens, before passing judgement as there is so much spin and disinformation surrounding these negotiations. Eg People quoting a Sun (now apparently a reputable SAUCE when it suits) reporter tweeting about some Brexiteers being furious about the proposed deal when those same Brexiteers flatly contradict that spin.

Your view that 'Boris was never serious about the deadline and he was actually never serious about no deal' will come as a surprise to the many remainers on this thread who are claiming no deal is and always was the intended outcome. I think the truth is somewhere in between - Boris would much prefer a deal but not a deal at any cost so no deal is still an option if they can find a way of doing it legally.

I have never believed No Deal was a serious aim of Boris Johnson's, or even something he would do if he could not get a deal, but it clearly has been part of his strategy to promote that position as being the reality. I believe he has only been able to promote it as something he would do because he knows he will be blocked from doing so, and he has calculated that would be a good look for him and a bad one for the opposition in an election.
The reality of actually having taken us out without a deal would absolutely destroy his hopes of winning an election, if his party even allowed him to remain as leader.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I have never believed No Deal was a serious aim of Boris Johnson's, or even something he would do if he could not get a deal, but it clearly has been part of his strategy to promote that position as being the reality. I believe he has only been able to promote it as something he would do because he knows he will be blocked from doing so, and he has calculated that would be a good look for him and a bad one for the opposition in an election.
The reality of actually having taken us out without a deal would absolutely destroy his hopes of winning an election, if his party even allowed him to remain as leader.

Didn't his party elect him on the promise that we would leave without a deal if neccessary?

Also he had no way of knowing that the Benn Act would be moved and passed when he was making that commitment to leave without a deal if neccessary.

He is currently still taking the position that he would be willing to leave without a deal, and the Conservative Party are enjoying a healthy lead on all other parties, and have enjoyed a +2% increase in voter intentions in the last week.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
The thing is Clamp, you will never get me, because of your lack of vision you have trouble seeing the end of your nose.

Shouldn't you be laying down on the road or something???[/QUOTE]

Steady, your crazy antics are liable to cause even more people to reject your invitation to drink a pint in a pub with you; you could run out of people to invite.
Also, you are undermining your self description as a decent bloke.
There's nothing nice about the comments you have recently made.
Have another try......

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Shouldn't you be laying down on the road or something???

Get you? Get you? **** me! You really do think you’re Little Miss Something!

Get you! Brilliant.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Re the big com res poll. They have added together those who say leave with a deal and those saying no deal. This is dumb. Did they also ask those people who say a deal what they wanted if no deal? Same with people who say no deal would they prefer crap deal?

Adding them together is flawed because it assumes they would not prefer to remain than the other leave option.

Look at it like first past the post.....remain single most preferred option. Surely this needs to be a choice between leave with deal and remain? Also leave with no deal vs remain. Having all three will be as daft as a referendum
Asking a) as you are b) something else.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Didn't his party elect him on the promise that we would leave without a deal if neccessary?

Also he had no way of knowing that the Benn Act would be moved and passed when he was making that commitment to leave without a deal if neccessary.

He is currently still taking the position that he would be willing to leave without a deal, and the Conservative Party are enjoying a healthy lead on all other parties, and have enjoyed a +2% increase in voter intentions in the last week.

Yes, the Tory MP's put forward him and Hunt for the Party to select from, he is seen as the man that could win the next election by the MP's, the wider party had a choice of him or Hunt, and on Brexit both had the same position, so we don't really know how popular that stance is in the wider party. Johnson is not well liked or trusted by his fellow MP's though, he is leader only because he is popular with the public, as soon as that wanes and he becomes unelectable, Tory MP's will remove him with a vote of no confidence, he does not have enough friends to survive a sustained loss of public popularity.

He had a very strong indication that something like the Benn act would materialise, such as everything that has gone on before, and that the Speaker would make sure Parliament were able to present such legislation, his stating he would do it virtually guaranteed that they would put in place blocking legislation.

Yes, his position is popular, that is a large part of his reason for his position, but what he does not want to do is have the reality of No Deal disillusion those voters as to it being a good idea. He will be blamed for it, even by those who currently say it is what they want.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
[tweet]1184429958715891712[/tweet]

[tweet]1184367596562501632[/tweet]

[tweet]1184368387612385280[/tweet]

[tweet]1184424760870133760[/tweet]

Con 37% +2
Lab 22% ±0
Lib Dem 18% -2
Brexit 11% -1
Green 5% -1
(Change since 8-9 Oct)
I think Titanic used to post this sort of stuff, every fortnight or so we would see Con +3.... Lab - 2 really odd because although the Tories always gained 2-3 percentage points every time these polls were published they strangely never got near the North Korean levels of approval despite never slipping back down in a poll?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here