Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
There is almost literally nothing that specimen would not say to get his fat arse into No 10.

Saw someone on Twitter last night saying Johnson likes the idea of being PM a lot more than he'll like the reality of it, which I think is pretty shrewd. He basically thinks it'll give him almost unlimited power. May thought similar, the problem though with trying to be an autocrat is you need authority in order to convince anyone. And he inherits at least the same situation May has now and probably worse.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What IS it with the likes of has been dinosaurs Blair and Major keep piping up with their views, as if anyone gives a ####?

Experience counts for nothing, eh? Maybe having dealt with the EU, and diplomats in the past, they can see past the lies and bluster of those in power now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
What IS it with the likes of has been dinosaurs Blair and Major keep piping up with their views, as if anyone gives a ####?

View attachment 112715

They are former Prime Ministers of the country. That means they have a better understanding of the intricacies of geopolitics and how the nation works than, for example, you or me.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I know. The future for Brexit Britain under it's believers is so much more bright and vibrant in comparison.

View attachment 112716

Side note but it has been tremendous watching all these Brexiters waffling on while Big Ben is done up like that, gives a whole dystopian air to proceedings you'd struggle to create otherwise.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Blair, indeed, knows how to get things going with little trouble or substance. :wink:

He didn't have much trouble because he was the last Prime Minister who was genuinely popular with the public, and the only one since 1987 to actually win a working majority outright (three times over). Indeed it's only really him and Thatcher who have done it in the last 50 years.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
He didn't have much trouble because he was the last Prime Minister who was genuinely popular with the public, and the only one since 1987 to actually win a working majority outright (three times over). Indeed it's only really him and Thatcher who have done it in the last 50 years.

Do you not think that, in light of revelations of events during his reign, that his popularity might have dwindled a tad?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do you not think that, in light of revelations of events during his reign, that his popularity might have dwindled a tad?

Undoubtedly, but then he's not trying to win elections now. And I'd argue even now he's still more likely to be more popular with the public than pretty much any Prime Minister or Leader of the Opposition since (although that says more about them than him TBH).

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Undoubtedly, but then he's not trying to win elections now. And I'd argue even now he's still more likely to be more popular with the public than pretty much any Prime Minister or Leader of the Opposition since (although that says more about them than him TBH).

We need a poll...…………..

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Experience counts for nothing, eh? Maybe having dealt with the EU, and diplomats in the past, they can see past the lies and bluster of those in power now.

We're no longer allowed to have experienced people who know how The EU works, or have any international trade experience negotiate Brexit, or anyone who really knows how actual international political, trade and diplomatic relations work - They might be remoaners and experts who don't believe in Britain.

I read a review yesterday for example of a new book - 'Defeated by Brexit' by Chris Cook, and apparently 30% of DExEU is under the age of 30 as there was concern that people with actual Brussels experience 'may have gone native'. :facepalm:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/...tale-of-how-brexit-was-spaffed-away-1.3950422

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Side note but it has been tremendous watching all these Brexiters waffling on while Big Ben is done up like that, gives a whole dystopian air to proceedings you'd struggle to create otherwise.

I bet you’re spaffing all up the wall in excitement [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I know. The future for Brexit Britain under it's believers is so much more bright and vibrant in comparison.

View attachment 112716

It's great that she's managed to rejuvenate her ailing career...

e49442878144bf586acafedfe8626fad.jpg

Flex Your Head

The same people, so rabidly indignant at UK membership of the EU, are jumping up and down in pleasure as Donald Trump humiliates and demeans the UK and its institutions. I get that some leave supporters don’t like mainland Europe and don’t want to be a part of the EU project. But to then actively support, and indeed positively welcome utter subservience to the US is utterly incomprehensible. To go from leading players in the biggest and richest free market on the planet to chasing, at best, second-class US statehood is bizarre in the extreme. But these Brexiters would have us believe that they are the patriots, and that Remainers are traitors. And they seem to be getting away with it.

(A Below the Line comment from earlier today - sums things up pretty well.)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sir James Dyson has bought what is thought to be Singapore's biggest and most expensive penthouse flat.
The purchase comes after his company, best known for its vacuum cleaners, moved its HQ from the UK to Singapore.
Sir James, a prominent advocate for Brexit who has said leaving the EU with no deal would "make no difference", was accused of hypocrisy after the move.
The property is at the heart of the city's business district and spans three floors and has five bedrooms.
Official records show Sir James and his wife Lady Deirdre Dyson are joint tenants of the apartment at the prestigious Wallich Residence.
"Given the decision to locate the headquarters in Singapore and the growing focus of the company's business in the region, of course James Dyson has bought a property there," a Dyson spokesperson said in a statement.

What a complete self serving little slim ball good riddance his knighthood should be revoked

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here