Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
The sad fact is that a large part of the Brexit vote is based on fear and an unconscious expression of that fear. What we are seeing here is another example of overly fearful, bordering on paranoid, Brexit voters vocalising their irrational fears in public.

The remain campaign was project fear.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think at this late stage, as it has been discussed long and hard on here and elsewhere..... you need to do your own research.. I haven't got the energy to prolonge the debate.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you think the economy will be better off in the EU then what will blow up in our faces?!

Anything that ends up blowing up in our faces is going to have a massive negative effect on the economy, so you cant have a strong positive economy and stuff blowing up in our faces?

D

Deleted member 22389

The problem with your hypothesis is that wages are not going up. If there were truly a general skills shortage this would not be happening. The reality that the FTSE 100 chairmen know is that their share prices (and hence their bonuses) depend upon unlimited cheap Labour. The young are fodder for them and easily distracted with promises on the environment and slogans about solving problems together. If you are truly worried about skills shortages then you should be in favour of a points system for immigration where people can be brought in to fill actual skill shortages. This is a lot more effeicient than the current free-for-all but wouldn't help much in creating a vast pool of cheap labour. Immigration is very far from being a red herring. It is crucial to the economic case.

It is just that. Even a points based system has been turned in to bad thing now. We know it is right. Carry on as we are with an open door to Free Movement and we shall see how far this gets us.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The remain campaign was project fear.

Or project information, if it was project fear it was acting on the conscious thought process, which could then be rationalised.

I stand by my point that a large part of the brexit vote is based on an unconscious fear and anxiety, and the brexit crowd have been trying to tap into that unconscious fear.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And that's perfectly fine then is it.? What a nasty little dictator. Most of the British over there are probably not working anyway I would assume.

Well, quite.

So the (current) deal, is that we get a load of cute young Spanish girls to staff the bars and retail outlets of Brighton, paying taxes, and contributing to the local economy, and in return Spain gets a third of a million sickly pensioners to leech off their health system.

Please explain why you think the Spanish are out of order to suggest that this would not be an acceptable state of affairs, after a Leave vote??

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think the point you make about the height or irresponsibility is absolutely right. As a nation, we've been pulled into a vote which should have been the responsibility of our elected MPs and not the electorate.

On the vote to leave or remain I would say this. Even if we vote to leave, we'll still have to remain. We have a chronic skills crisis in this country and an ageing population. Just to remain economically competitive we'll need immigration, and access to the nearest pool of skilled workers is via the EU. We'll need them here and we'll need to provide freedom of movement just to access the single market. This is why immigration - in terms of the EU - is a great big red herring.

The idea that we can be more competitive if we leave is entirely untested. It's a big risk. Most economists believe our economy will suffer in the short-term if we leave. Personally, I don't fancy another recession.

Either way, what's done is done, but I don't want to wake up in a Britain that wants to be outside of the EU tomorrow.

Of course your making it up to fit your immigration agenda and if you care to analyse the actual figures you will see that most immigrants are in low skilled employment.

I will try to simplify it a little:

We do have something like 400 000 in skilled positions from the pre 2004 EU14 countries (older member countries) Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden.

However there are more than double that figure 800 000 from the accession countries known as EU10 Bulgaria, Romania, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia three quarters 600 000 in low skilled employment and of which 260 000+ of those are in what is considered the very lowest category of low skilled employment.

So it definitely isn't a Red Herring, its a set of circumstances that require much consideration for any prospective voter, we are not sucking in exclusively skilled immigrant workers in the main we are sucking in primarily from the E10 countries low skilled workers.

That does NOT constitute an answer for any perceived skill shortages because those immigrants are not skilled.

D

Deleted member 22389

It sure was, I wonder how the gullible will feel once things come to kick them in the teeth if Remain wins.

You get what you vote for. If the vote is for Remain, everything that comes our way from the EU after this has nothing to do with us.
I think what is more painful is the feeling that nobody thinks this country is good enough anymore.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So it has already started;

North Wiltshire Tory MP James Gray (a passionate leave supporter) says if people vote to remain he will accept “the democratic will of the people”, but only if it is a “reasonable majority” suggestion around 60-40.

Same sort of thing that happened after the SNP lost the referendum up there.

Yet if its 51-49 in favour of leave, he will claim that 'the people have spoken' right?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You get what you vote for. If the vote is for Remain, everything that comes our way from the EU after this has nothing to do with us.
I think what is more painful is the feeling that nobody thinks this country is good enough anymore.

IF the majority of the British public have voted Remain, then your viewpoint is a very odd one.

If the majority have voted to uphold the status quo, then I'd suggest that they are of the view that this country is perfectly fine, thanks.

It's YOU that presumably 'doesn't think this country is good enough', or presumably you wouldn't be so keen to gamble on changing it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Breaking news.

I've just heard from a mate in the security service, that MI5 have developed, with the help of a Euro grant, an erasure that makes biro marks disappear, and every polling station has been issued with one for all those inconvenient Leave votes.
Shame they provide pencils, not biros then. More wasted money by the EU with that grant, eh? Waste like that is why we should leave!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Hypothetical referendum question

Suppose the vote is 50.001% in favour of leaving, could Cameron say it's too close to actually implement (perhaps arguing that 50.001% of a 60% turnout is under a third of the electorate) ?

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
This advert just came up on NSC :thumbsup:

ad.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here