Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
If we leave, we will not be the 5th largest economy in the world.

It is true that the single market is of considerable value to many UK companies and consumers, and that leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country – low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc – that have nothing to do with Europe.

We have a choice tomorrow. Retain economic strength and then get our elected MPs to focus on the things that matter - low skills, low social mobility, low investment.

You are actually right about something,for once.If we leave the EU we will not be the 5th largest economy for long-we will soon overtake the French and be the 4th largest,as their economy continues it's way down the toilet!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Why not conflate Western economic dominance with the EU? All the big European economies are in the EU. All benefit from freedom of movement and standardisation. The Eurozone crisis is a crisis yes, but the Eurozone has also returned to growth. We do more trade with Ireland than the BRICs. We need a thriving and successful EU, it is essential to our economic health. We Brexit and we do massive damage to Europe's economy - our biggest trading partner!

It is not diluted! Diluted is having 3% of the world's GDP as a negotiating position not 23-25%! Diluted is having rules written for us in Brussels that we must comply with to keep our economy functioning. Our interests are so clearly aligned with our European partners it beggars belief to argue otherwise.

If your really interested in western economic dominance perhaps you should argue we join NAFTA something more akin to a purely Trade based alliance not the political project causing so much misery across Europe.

:D

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Don't fear, TP, live your life.

20150509_BLP514.jpg

Your mum?The internet isn't just full of daisy-weaving nice people-criminals know how to use it,too_Or don't they target smug people?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
What are you gibbering about?Our elected government appoints the Governor as well,or is it a secret cabal of EU economists.

It doesn't look like you have been following the debate. You can't argue against unelected officials in the EU when we have our own unelected officials in the UK. Our EU Commissioner is appointed by our elected UK Government as is the Governor of the Bank of England.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
If your really interested in western economic dominance perhaps you should argue we join NAFTA something more akin to a purely Trade based alliance not the political project causing so much misery across Europe.

:D

Unfortunately (or perhaps not) we can't simply moor the gunboats off the coast of Europe and loudly clear our throats. We have to compromise. The compromise is not perfect, but on balance it is better for you and for me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You are actually right about something,for once.If we leave the EU we will not be the 5th largest economy for long-we will soon overtake the French and be the 4th largest,as their economy continues it's way down the toilet!

Please provide the proof that backs up this statement?

(to save you the time - there isn't any.)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Without Mystic Meg I am afraid I might just have to rely on my common sense, my extensive research, my experiences and my lifestyle requirements. I am a lowly IT professional.... politics and global economics are generally only a passing interest for me at times of interest or crisis, enough, like 99% of the population, to give me a fighting chance of making the right decision at an election or referendum..... like now.

My elected government will be responsible for planning and implementing my wishes should Leave be the outcome.... they are the ones paid good money to deliver and provision according to democratic results.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So, no plans from the Brexiteers heirarchy then, apart from we're leaving.
No pre-agreements, no promises, non- binding preliminary discussions, not even a wink and a nudge"You'll be alright" from any other nation on Earth. What we need are specifics, as in "We have a pre- agreement with this country,"" we are committed to a deal with Britain"from that country,but as all through this cluster**** of a referendum, not a word

larus

Borris so clever any points made to stay he says project fear but most of the out arguments are more fear. At least it's the truth we could go into recession very eaiserly.

It's not the truth. It's an opinion based on fear from the elite (bankers, politicians, etc.) Not all economists agree and Mervyn King (ex BoE governor) says we should vote for out. Why should I believe something which is unknown? It's never been done so what are their models based on?

I have confidence in the ability of this country to succeed, and if the EU try to PUNISH us with tariffs, then we're better off out anyway.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If we leave, we will not be the 5th largest economy in the world.

It is true that the single market is of considerable value to many UK companies and consumers, and that leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country – low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc – that have nothing to do with Europe.

We have a choice tomorrow. Retain economic strength and then get our elected MPs to focus on the things that matter - low skills, low social mobility, low investment.

You mean we might be the 4th?

Two years is the set timetable for our exit negotiations to be concluded (we already comply with all EU standards). No need to worry about low skills when you have a limitless supply of cheap labour.

We do ... take back control or do as we're told.

Don't argue with me on this point JC. These are not my words. They are the words of Leave campaigner Boris Johnson, penned in February 2016.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Very humourous, but, you still have no trade deals, no concrete plans, and no time scale, to show those of us who are sceptical, what the real future holds if we leave.

If I could forecast the future,do you think I'd have time to post on here?And I know as much as all these experts being quoted on here,who still have to work for a living-the grand total of sod-all!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's not the truth. It's an opinion based on fear from the elite (bankers, politicians, etc.) Not all economists agree and Mervyn King (ex BoE governor) says we should vote for out. Why should I believe something which is unknown? It's never been done so what are their models based on?

I have confidence in the ability of this country to succeed, and if the EU try to PUNISH us with tariffs, then we're better off out anyway.

Practically all economists agree that leaving the EU will cause damage to our economy. Nobody, not even the leave campaign, is disputing this fact.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Please provide the proof that backs up this statement?

(to save you the time - there isn't any.)

Being retired,I have time on my hands,thank you for your concern.Where is your proof that that backs up it isn't the case?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If I could forecast the future,do you think I'd have time to post on here?And I know as much as all these experts being quoted on here,who still have to work for a living-the grand total of sod-all!

And youre willing to take a leap in the dark, on the strength of a few non- specific promises from people who have no more of a clue what will happen, than you do?

Good plan

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
So, no plans from the Brexiteers heirarchy then, apart from we're leaving.
No pre-agreements, no promises, non- binding preliminary discussions,.....

I don't know .... I am not part of the "Brexiteers heirachy"....

How can there be any pre agreement... are you really just being dull and obtuse?.. (that was a question not a statement).....

The government will decide on next steps depending on outcome.....

We are voting on campaign aspirations, you know, like we do at a general election... manifesto promises??... remember those.... ?..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You really should try and think more about personal security-publishing your itinerary on the internet is not a very wise thing to do.

I won't be in there to long so no need to worry; I'll be in the poncey salons most of the time.

larus

Vote leave if you must, but do it for the right reasons, not based on lies and mistruths.

Vote remain if you must, but do it based on truths and not fear mongering.
Do it on the understanding that we cannot control immigration from the EU.
Do it on the understanding that the direction of the EU is further integration.
Do it on the understanding that Camerons negotiations have been deemed as not enforceable.
Do it on the understanding that we will not be able to reform from within - that is a pipe dream.

This country has the ability to flourish successfully outside of the EU political structure.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
And youre willing to take a leap in the dark, on the strength of a few non- specific promises from people who have no more of a clue what will happen, than you do?

Good plan

Too right I am-some of us have still got guts.I'm not chucking my toys out of the pram and moving to Latvia.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Practically all economists agree that leaving the EU will cause damage to our economy. Nobody, not even the leave campaign, is disputing this fact.
No... they say "may".... they don't say "will"... you really need to keep up.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Twisting and turning again..... cherry picking at its worst.... so now you are saying that direction or advice from Europe is not valid in our Internal affairs?!!.... make your mind up.

I made my mind up a long time ago! It's not me that's doing the cherry-picking in this case.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here