Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I will be away from tomorrow in Brussels. But, I shall be in here on Friday http://www.churchills.be/menu/ toasting the bright and beautiful future of our outwardly looking, tolerant and cooperative nation. If any fellow patriots are in town swing buy and I'll buy you an ale.

You really should try and think more about personal security-publishing your itinerary on the internet is not a very wise thing to do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Exactly ..... the Germans sell more than 1 million cars a year to the UK market... why would they jeopardise that huge market?... apart from the many other products they want us to us from them...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

To hoover up the 3 times more lucrative uk financial services export market?

Mate, tip. Slow down and have a think before you post. It will save me time, and you embarrassment.

The German CBI supports the idea of the EU. Visit their site and see for yourself. They would like us to REMAIN in the EU.
Of course they would, but they will still trade with us if we leave and I suspect they would lobby for free trade.
The case being that remain say we are done for if we leave. Trade will go on as it does now.
I would love to be in the room when Merkel tells German business leaders of her master plan to impose strict tariffs on all trade to Britain.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
You really should try and think more about personal security-publishing your itinerary on the internet is not a very wise thing to do.

Don't fear, TP, live your life.

20150509_BLP514.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Have the Germans offered us a free trade deal if we leave, then?

No, I didn't think so, it's all a bit vague, isn't it?

I know,it's all very worrying.I'm glad my new Karcher has turned up before those nasty Germans refuse to sell us anything more.And I'm really worried about them blockading our ports :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
So, has anyone in the the Outers campaign come forward, and told us with any certainty what is going to definitely happen if we leave?
As far as I can tell, it's been all very vague, we will get trade deals, we don't know when, or even who with. We might cut immigration, but there again we may not be able too, we might be heading for a short recession , but, it won't be a long one, perhaps, at least we' ll be able to make our own laws, except if we stay in the single market, we won't. We haven't decided if we will stay in the single market, even if the EU let us, which they might not.

Not one thing promised by the leavers, is a certainty, and, for me that's not enough to stake our future as a vibrant, successful nation
Without Mystic Meg I am afraid I might just have to rely on my common sense, my extensive research, my experiences and my lifestyle requirements. I am a lowly IT professional.... politics and global economics are generally only a passing interest for me at times of interest or crisis, enough, like 99% of the population, to give me a fighting chance of making the right decision at an election or referendum..... like now.

My elected government will be responsible for planning and implementing my wishes should Leave be the outcome.... they are the ones paid good money to deliver and provision according to democratic results.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
All we know is Boris will come talk to us live on TV and apologise for the mess he has made. They never offered a plan, they never picked a model.
He doesn't have to... the govt does.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Yes you can redefine terms to diminish our status.

That's conflating western economic dominance with EU membership which is rather an odd line of argument ... as we know the Eurozone crisis is undermining western European economic performance. The project at the heart of the EU is the very thing most likely to threaten economic stability and long term western dominance.

By being at the top table you mean having our voice diluted to consider 27 other countries views, waiting for uninimity before we can even start negotiations and belonging to an organisation with an inbuilt Eurozone majority that can take the EU in any direction they wish (ever closer union) ... while sidelining our second tier membership views.

Why not conflate Western economic dominance with the EU? All the big European economies are in the EU. All benefit from freedom of movement and standardisation. The Eurozone crisis is a crisis yes, but the Eurozone has also returned to growth. We do more trade with Ireland than the BRICs. We need a thriving and successful EU, it is essential to our economic health. We Brexit and we do massive damage to Europe's economy - our biggest trading partner!

It is not diluted! Diluted is having 3% of the world's GDP as a negotiating position not 23-25%! Diluted is having rules written for us in Brussels that we must comply with to keep our economy functioning. Our interests are so clearly aligned with our European partners it beggars belief to argue otherwise.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Surely a Brexiteer should be minded to heed the words of the British CBI, rather than the German version? Or is ok to be an "expert" if you agree with Vote Leave, but not if you're in favour of Remain....?
Twisting and turning again..... cherry picking at its worst.... so now you are saying that direction or advice from Europe is not valid in our Internal affairs?!!.... make your mind up.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You have voted for your representative. You do so in the UK General Election every circa 4 years. The elected government then appoints their Commissioner.

Here is another important person whom we don't elect and yet who has the power to set interest rates that can have a dramatic impact on our finances.

iu

Just because we don't like the way a democratic process works, it doesn't mean it is unfair.

What are you gibbering about?Our elected government appoints the Governor as well,or is it a secret cabal of EU economists.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
He doesn't have to... the govt does.

Yes the government has offered the best possible model and argued for it consistently: remain in the EU. Anything else hurts your pocket, mine and everyone else reading this.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I know,it's all very worrying.I'm glad my new Karcher has turned up before those nasty Germans refuse to sell us anything more.And I'm really worried about them blockading our ports :lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Very humourous, but, you still have no trade deals, no concrete plans, and no time scale, to show those of us who are sceptical, what the real future holds if we leave.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If we leave, we will not be the 5th largest economy in the world.

It is true that the single market is of considerable value to many UK companies and consumers, and that leaving would cause at least some business uncertainty, while embroiling the Government for several years in a fiddly process of negotiating new arrangements, so diverting energy from the real problems of this country – low skills, low social mobility, low investment etc – that have nothing to do with Europe.

We have a choice tomorrow. Retain economic strength and then get our elected MPs to focus on the things that matter - low skills, low social mobility, low investment.

You mean we might be the 4th?

Two years is the set timetable for our exit negotiations to be concluded (we already comply with all EU standards). No need to worry about low skills when you have a limitless supply of cheap labour.

We do ... take back control or do as we're told.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
To hoover up the 3 times more lucrative uk financial services export market?

Mate, tip. Slow down and have a think before you post. It will save me time, and you embarrassment.
Nope... I feel comfortable thanks.... your concern is appreciated though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here