Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Just imagine all the extra trade we could do without the shackles of the EU. New Zealand for example has a trade deal with China. We could get one too. There are many other examples available. No doubt the remain experts will refute this.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There are probably plenty of wallies that are voting Brexit because they were told we spend £350m a week on the EU, or that on June 24th, 79m Turks will arrive on our doorstep. That's the system we have, the vote of the most intellectual is just as equal to that of the most ignorant, whichever way they are voting.

Like it or not, if there is a Brexit then there will almost certainly be a leadership challenge to Cameron and the likely candidates are Gove and Johnson. Two politicians who have previously slated the NHS who now seem intent on investing millions in it!!!! They will of course only be short term leaders whereas Brexit will almost certainly be forever, but there is an awful lot of damage that can be done in a very short space of time.

i havnt heard anyone say 79m turks will arrive on our doorstep
ive heard plenty of people saying they have heard people claiming 79m turks will arrive on our doorstep yet they cant provide the evidence anyone has said it.
Ive heard plenty of reference to turkey joining the eu would give that population(79m) access to Europe but that is a different matter and certainly doesnt infer turkey will empty and will all come here.

seems that the remain side wish to simply muddy the waters and put words in peoples mouths

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
How did you arrive at that. Commissioners are merely acting at the behest of the members states. They have to initiate legislation and prepare the legislation but it is the MEPs that vote it through.

As for knowing your MEP, you are aware that you have more than one?

That's incorrect. MEPs cannot repeal legislation, nor can they initiate it. The EC can initiate legislation without recourse to the member states, in that sense it is a pretty basic inversion to the HoC and HoL.

I do understand it thanks, so don't patronise me please.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just imagine all the extra trade we could do without the shackles of the EU. New Zealand for example has a trade deal with China. We could get one too. There are many other examples available. No doubt the remain experts will refute this.

This has been covered 1000 times, but hey...

1. Please elaborate on these 'shackles'. Much like 'taking our country back' its something we hear a lot, but is essentially a meaningless soundbite.

2. Yes, you're right. China would be very happy to offer us a 'trade deal'. Why wouldn't they? They'll have us over a barrel.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
As I understand it,we cannot sign trade deals outside of those negotiated by the EU.If you can prove otherwise,I might change my vote.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Or there again,I might look at this rogues gallery,and emigrate!

dutchidiot.jpg

eytieidiot.jpg

frogidiot.jpg

krautidiot.jpg

idiot.jpg

Guess what this lot have got in common-give up?European finance ministers :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As I understand it,we cannot sign trade deals outside of those negotiated by the EU.If you can prove otherwise,I might change my vote.

The EU has FAR, FAR better bargaining power than the UK alone. Driving a BETTER deal for us with the world's largest economies isn't a very restrictive 'shackle' in my book :shrug:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Nearly everything you buy here is 'Made in China'. They seem to do very well without a trade deal. Not sure why they'd make access to their market easier for us, when there is a massive trade imbalance in their favour?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The EU has FAR, FAR better bargaining power than the UK alone. Driving a BETTER deal for us with the world's largest economies isn't a very restrictive 'shackle' in my book :shrug:

Shame it doesn't use this FAR,FAR,better bargaining power to sign some actual deals.It is so bogged down by inertia and internal squabbling,they probably haven't even standardised bog-roll supplies yet.The EU is a 20th century dinosaur,and belongs in the past.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012

Did you not see my post this morning? I will paste it again for you.

"
Freedom to strike trade deals as the junior partner and have terms dictated to us. Like Switzerland and China. Switzerland couldn't even reduce tariffs on its watches, while knock-offs can flood Switzerland because China leveraged total access. Economic size matters. We will have bigger and better trade deals if we work with the EU. Moreover the whole Brexit plan is to dynamite our existing biggest and best trade deal with the largest market in the world (the EU) and then pick up the pieces afterwards, offering pounds of flesh to Brazil and Malaysia. It's economic arson."

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
10 out of the last 13 voters on NSC have voted REMAIN. It's probably more pro-remain on NSC that we thought.

Nah,it's all the sock-puppets coming out to play.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Shame it doesn't use this FAR,FAR,better bargaining power to sign some actual deals.It is so bogged down by inertia and internal squabbling,they probably haven't even standardised bog-roll supplies yet.The EU is a 20th century dinosaur,and belongs in the past.

20th century would have been a lot better for all involved if the EU had existed :facepalm:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Did you not see my post this morning? I will paste it again for you.

"
Freedom to strike trade deals as the junior partner and have terms dictated to us. Like Switzerland and China. Switzerland couldn't even reduce tariffs on its watches, while knock-offs can flood Switzerland because China leveraged total access. Economic size matters. We will have bigger and better trade deals if we work with the EU. Moreover the whole Brexit plan is to dynamite our existing biggest and best trade deal with the largest market in the world (the EU) and then pick up the pieces afterwards, offering pounds of flesh to Brazil and Malaysia. It's economic arson."

Please don't have a melt-down-you're about the only normal person on the Remain side!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
20th century would have been a lot better for all involved if the EU had existed :facepalm:

Oh,I thought its history went back as far as biblical days!Didn't realise it started in 2001 :bowdown:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Would be great for the Leave to outline the practicalities of all these trade deals we're going to have to make, and put a timescale to them, starting with our relationship with the EU.

If they do that, they'll no doubt have to reveal they'll need to sign up to the EEA, and still accept freedom of movement within the EU. That of course isn't why a proportion of Leave voters are voting Leave. It is a likely reality though. Once we agree to that, we'll then still be signed up to all those EU rules, but we won't be involved in any of the decision making. Won't that be a great plan. Hence we won't be getting any practical plans from Leave this week, or anytime soon.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
This has been covered 1000 times, but hey...

1. Please elaborate on these 'shackles'. Much like 'taking our country back' its something we hear a lot, but is essentially a meaningless soundbite.

2. Yes, you're right. China would be very happy to offer us a 'trade deal'. Why wouldn't they? They'll have us over a barrel.

Why?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here