Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

Farage is an absolute bell end. A massive hypocrite, interested in nothing but lining his pockets.

He trousers tens of thousands in EU expenses / allowances, for being an MEP, yet never attends or votes.
Campaigns against immigrants taking 'British jobs' yet employs his German wife using public funds.
Is a former City banker from a public school who pretends to be a man of the people.

If it wasn't all so depressing, it would be funny.

Seriously - anyone who buys this guy's front isn't somebody whose 'respect' is anything to worry about losing.

In my eyes he represents true democracy. You might find that weird, but for all the mud slinging Farage gets he has stuck to his guns from day one.
In fact he was going on about independance since the year 2000, and has provided a platform for people not happy with the EU, each to their own. Like I said earlier, I will be glad when this referendum is over.

I don't think I can take any more scaremongering from Remain, and you probably can't from my side.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If the EU is teetering on a financial abyss, it will impact the UK whether we are in the EU or out. Our economy is already independent of the EU, we don't escape a weak EU zone just through being out of it. The migrant crisis isn't an EU issue, it is a global one with the continued violence and slaughter of civilians in the middle east - of course there are very few answers, there is a war on.

If a region isnt the actual place that is having a financial breakdown then of course it might impact on partner trading nations but it is never as acute, we are not experiencing what Greece, Spain and others are and so to say we just as well share the pain when we needn't and not responsible for it anyway is foolhardy.

The EU offered an open door policy, for me a catastrophe at least Cameron got this bit right, support, help and resource on the ground at the point of safety, the EU again and again gets things wrong and we are then part of the consequence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In my eyes he represents true democracy. You might find that weird, but for all the mud slinging Farage gets he has stuck to his guns from day one.
In fact he was going on about independance since the year 2000, and has provided a platform for people not happy with the EU, each to their own. Like I said earlier, I will be glad when this referendum is over.

Yet has been delighted to take their money. And to employ his own (foreign) wife, whilst seeking to deny the rights of other foreign nationals to work here. He's a horrible divisive, xenophobic hypocrite. I wish nothing but a plague upon him.

If the opportunist turncoat Boris Johnson were to catch it off him, all the better.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yet has been delighted to take their money. And to employ his own (foreign) wife, whilst seeking to deny the rights of other foreign nationals to work here. He's a horrible divisive, xenophobic hypocrite. I wish nothing but a plague upon him.

If the opportunist turncoat Boris Johnson were to catch it off him, all the better.

Your entitled to your opinion.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Why would you think that we can reform it now, after at the very least wavering in this referendum that now the Germans and the French will offer concessions that previously were unattainable, it nonsensical.

Change will occur if we leave, there will be contagion with a likely collapse of the political structures of the EU, if the euro doesnt kill it first.

You are right in suggesting that this could precipitate the collapse of the EU. that's not in our interest at all. I'm assuming you'd agree that damaging a major trade partner which we rely on is not good business.

Also, the EU changes all the time. Legislation changes all the time. that is influenced by active MEPs and Commissioners. So, we can influence change inside the EU. Perhaps if we bothered to be better participants we might see changes we approve of for all EU countries.

We do not have to become a united states of Europe to still play an active role and benefit from everything that comes being being part of a strong trading bloc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Your entitled to your opinion.

Farage's documented receipt of huge EU expenses, his foreign wife's salary, his schooling and former career are all hard facts, not opinion.

But, yes, I'm entitled to my opinion of what those facts, balanced against the views he espouses, say about the man's character.

D

Deleted member 22389

Farage's documented receipt of huge EU expenses, his foreign wife's salary, his schooling and former career are all hard facts, not opinion.

But, yes, I'm entitled to my opinion of what those facts, balanced against the views he espouses, say about the man's character.

What about other people who work in the EU, who's stance is to Remain. Do you have a problem with them earning lots of money?

I'm afraid everyone is the same on this note. Expenses and wages are completely out of control.
Not trying to turn the tables, but there was an article about how much kinnock earns from the EU.

I don't agree on any of it, even Nigel.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You are right in suggesting that this could precipitate the collapse of the EU. that's not in our interest at all. I'm assuming you'd agree that damaging a major trade partner which we rely on is not good business.

Also, the EU changes all the time. Legislation changes all the time. that is influenced by active MEPs and Commissioners. So, we can influence change inside the EU. Perhaps if we bothered to be better participants we might see changes we approve of for all EU countries.

We do not have to become a united states of Europe to still play an active role and benefit from everything that comes being being part of a strong trading bloc.

But you are disassociating the EU and its political and financial structure from the malaise it finds itself in, our own economy is performing better than our European neighbours and the euro has been failing for sometime but still the power brokers within the EU continue their march towards greater political union, personally I think forget about the UK as unsurprisingly and worryingly the politicians continue their actions without consent from the people they purport to represent.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But you are disassociating the EU and its political and financial structure from the malaise it finds itself in, our own economy is performing better than our European neighbours and the euro has been failing for sometime but still the power brokers within the EU continue their march towards greater political union, personally I think forget about the UK as unsurprisingly and worryingly the politicians continue their actions without consent from the people they purport to represent.

The macro economics don't stack up. A nation that adds value to and extracts value from the EU simply can't view itself in isolation. We are a part of a union, we are there for better and worse, and on balance it is better.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

So if our economy is able to perform better than our EU partners, our currency has it's own stability, why put that economy at risk? Our economy is doing better than others, but there are too many to all be liars saying we will do damage to this in leaving. Immigration is unlikely to change (the Tories won't given their 'plan' depends on it), so we're going to take this risk on the economy because we don't like some of the legislature?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So if our economy is able to perform better than our EU partners, our currency has it's own stability, why put that economy at risk? Our economy is doing better than others, but there are too many to all be liars saying we will do damage to this in leaving. Immigration is unlikely to change (the Tories won't given their 'plan' depends on it), so we're going to take this risk on the economy because we don't like some of the legislature?

But our economy isnt working well because of the basket case which is the EU its in-spite of ........ there is nothing to risk.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
A good friend of mine came up with a great idea. If you don't have the time/inclination to find out all the facts about the EU referendum (I don't blame you) and are possibly unsure which way to vote, perhaps knowing how other notable people are thinking could help out.

Here are a few that strongly believe the UK should remain a member of the EU:

• Governor of the Bank of England
• International Monetary Fund
• Institute for Fiscal Studies
• Confederation of British Industry
• Leaders/heads of state of every single other member of the EU
• President of the United States of America
• Eight former US Treasury Secretaries
• President of China
• Prime Minister of India
• Prime Minister of Canada
• Prime Minister of Australia
• Prime Minister of Japan
• Prime Minister of New Zealand
• The chief executives of most of the top 100 companies in the UK including Marks and Spencer, BT, Asda, Vodafone, Virgin, IBM, BMW etc.
• Kofi Annan, the former Secretary General of the United Nations
• All living former Prime Ministers of the UK (from both parties)
• Virtually all reputable and recognised economists
• The Prime Minister of the UK
• The leader of the Labour Party
• The Leader of the Liberal Democrats
• The Leader of the Green Party
• The Leader of the Scottish National Party
• The leader of Plaid Cymru
• Leader of Sinn Fein
• Martin Lewis, that money saving dude off the telly
• The Secretary General of the TUC
• Unison
• National Union of Students
• National Union of Farmers
• Stephen Hawking
• Chief Executive of the NHS
• 300 of the most prominent international historians
• Director of Europol
• David Anderson QC, Independent Reviewer of Terrorism Legislation
• Former Directors of GCHQ
• Secretary General of Nato
• Church of England
• Church in Scotland
• Church in Wales
• Friends of the Earth
• Greenpeace
• Director General of the World Trade Organisation
• WWF
• World Bank
• OECD

Here are pretty much the only notable people who think we should leave the EU:

• Boris Johnson, who probably doesn’t really care either way, but knows he’ll become Prime Minister if the country votes to leave
• A former Secretary of State for Work and Pensions who carried out a brutal regime of cuts to benefits and essential support for the poorest in society as well as the disabled and sick
• That idiot that was Education Secretary and every single teacher in the country hated with a furious passion for the damage he was doing to the education system
• Leader of UKIP
• BNP
• Britain First
• Donald Trump
• Keith Chegwin
• David Icke

So, as I said, if you can’t be bothered to look into the real facts and implications of all this in/out stuff, just pick the list that you most trust and vote that way. It really couldn’t be more simple.

And if you are unsure about leaving, don't.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
A good friend of mine came up with a great idea. If you don't have the time/inclination to find out all the facts about the EU referendum (I don't blame you) and are possibly unsure which way to vote, perhaps knowing how other notable people are thinking could help out.

Blah blah blah

So, as I said, if you can’t be bothered to look into the real facts and implications of all this in/out stuff, just pick the list that you most trust and vote that way. It really couldn’t be more simple.

And if you are unsure about leaving, don't.
The Facebook age of people reposting things they've read online just gets increasingly tiresome. I bet half the people posting it don't even read it themselves. That's the third time I've seen this list today on different places online.

And the argument from authority - e.g. the idea that voters shouldn't really be allowed to make their own decisions as they aren't up to it - is so very belittling of people. No-one will be persuaded to change their mind by this level of condescension.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here