Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
^ Great piece by Ian Dunt, very well reasoned.

So where does this leave us? It looks likely that Parliament will reject May's Deal. MPs will want to amend it, but the EU have said they're not prepared to do that. Even if our Parliament could get amendments through there's not enough time for the EU to agree them and sign them off before 29th March 2019. Labour say they'd want a General Election and then renegotiate with the EU but I can;t see they could do any better than May's Deal because they've already said they want a Customs Union, that would tie us to the EU and May's Deal has been savaged because those ties come at the cost of no representative, rule taking not rule making.

I suspect in the face of rejection by Parliament May would be prepared to accept amendments, but her position would be so weakened it is almost certain the required number of letters of no confidence would get filed, sparking a Tory leadership contest.

After that what happens is anyone's guess. Would the interim Tory leader have the guts to back a People's Vote? Will Labour still stick with Corbyn?

I never thought it would get this messy.
it wont, we will exit on a no deal
regards
DR

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suspect in the face of rejection by Parliament May would be prepared to accept amendments, but her position would be so weakened it is almost certain the required number of letters of no confidence would get filed, sparking a Tory leadership contest.

It's already been made clear that the motion going before Parliament cannot be amended. It's a simple vote: for or against.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
di counting.png

If she does the counting,it will be 99% to Leave.Or perhaps 239% :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Looks like the Queen's sword will be busy in the next few days

[tweet]1065995757210279936[/tweet]

I see The Deputy Chief Whip has been made a privy councillor today too. What a convenient coincidence with such an important vote coming up for The PM as well.

Despite voting leave it'd be awfully ungrateful, not to mention awkward, of John Hayes to vote against May's deal now.

I just stuck his name into Wikipedia as I'd actually never heard of him before now, and without reading any of it, I think you tell a great deal about him just by reading the contents section.

hayes.JPG

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just stuck his name into Wikipedia as I'd actually never heard of him before now, and without reading any of it, I think you tell a great deal about him just by reading the contents section.

leftish economics, right social issue, support safe standing. quite a mix.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
There was me thinking John Hayes has been knighted today for being a principled MP of sound character and the timing in relation to the upcoming vote was all just an unfortunate coincidence. :rolleyes:

This was all reported in The Sunday Times 6 weeks back.............................

times.JPG

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46312909

Cringe worthy radio interview with the prime minister that inspires zero confidence in her. Stuttering mess that can't answer a simple question.

Why can she not be honest and say "its a better deal for the UK to stay in the EU (as she campaigned for), but that is not what the people voted for, and this is the best deal to respect that vote". She is so caught up in trying to sell the deal that she is unable to give an honest answer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why can she not be honest and say "its a better deal for the UK to stay in the EU (as she campaigned for), but that is not what the people voted for, and this is the best deal to respect that vote". She is so caught up in trying to sell the deal that she is unable to give an honest answer.

Even as a leaver I agree with you. When will politicians, of all hues, finally understand that the main reason they are hated and ridiculed is because they won't answer a direct question ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Exactly ! Everyone knows the deal is worse than what we have.

She needs to be honest about this and say that "nevertheless the only reason to go ahead with it is to obey the 2016 referendum".

Fair enough for that reason, but no need to say the deal is any good.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

because the moment any politican said something so open, the opposition would pounce and accuse them of u-turn/call them to resign/betraying the electrate etc. the art of politics was giving an answer with something of the truth, enough to be consistent. now its a battle to keep a narrow message, to play the tabloid media while avoiding forensic disection by the grown up media and other politicans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here