Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
163e65a41618fdfadf5b2afd92ee29ec.jpg

A bit generous putting us on the second level with Germany's bedfellows (though not equal) the French.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
See Boris could learn from you, no mention of any 20th century death pots.

From his ready booky thing he wrote (cor wish I could read and write) on Churchill, that came out the other year

“It was his (Churchill’s) idea to bring those countries together, to bind them together so indissolubly that they could never go to war again - and who can deny, today, that this idea has been a spectacular success? Together with Nato the European Community, now Union, has helped to deliver a period of peace and prosperity for its people as long as any since the days of the Antonine emperors.”

Read my post carefully. I said that we rejected the notion of a united centralized European state, which Churchill was against, after all he led the fight against it. & He did so because it was, as I said, an idea based on power not unity. Churchill did work very successfully for a Europe which could cooperate and preserve peace, but you cannot suggest that what Churchill worked for was the same as the a united centralized European state which he led a war against.

"We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed." - Winston Churchill.

Last edited:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
All this Hitler stuff got me doing a quick search and i found this

"Hitler offered something to everyone: work to the unemployed; prosperity to failed business people; profits to industry; expansion to the Army; social harmony and an end of class distinctions to idealistic young students; and restoration of German glory to those in despair. He promised to bring order amid chaos; a feeling of unity to all and the chance to belong. He would make Germany strong again; end payment of war reparations to the Allies; tear up the treaty of Versailles; stamp out corruption; keep down Marxism; and deal harshly with the Jews."

Many parallels to the OUT campaign

You know for all the disagreements we are having right now about the comparison with the 1930's, I think we all actually agree on one thing. Suggesting that anyone today, on any side of the argument, is comparable in their motives and means to Hitler or the Nazi's, in the way that you are suggesting here, is wrong, and pretty offensive.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You know for all the disagreements we are having right now about the comparison with the 1930's, I think we all actually agree on one thing. Suggesting that anyone today, on any side of the argument, is comparable in their motives and means to Hitler or the Nazi's, in the way that you are suggesting here, is wrong, and pretty offensive.

Exactly. Boris was out of order. Thank you

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Read my post carefully. I said that we rejected the notion of a united centralized European state, which Churchill wasagainst, after all he led the fight against it. & He did so because it was, as I said, an idea based on power not unity. Churchill did work very successfully for a Europe which could cooperate and preserve peace, but you cannot suggest that what Churchill worked for was the same as the a united centralized European state which he led a war against.

"We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not combined. We are interested and associated but not absorbed." - Winston Churchill.

Yes but the above quote I replied with (and put below) are not my words they are written by Boris in his best selling book on Churchill, but as you have said already I cannot read without thought, so I will leave it to Boris:

“It was his (Churchill’s) idea to bring those countries together, to bind them together so indissolubly that they could never go to war again - and who can deny, today, that this idea has been a spectacular success? Together with Nato the European Community, now Union, has helped to deliver a period of peace and prosperity for its people as long as any since the days of the Antonine emperors.”

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Exactly. Boris was out of order. Thank you

We are going around in circles. He was making a point which you clearly to cannot, or are unwilling, to understand. You want to simplify it into something you can condemn. Go ahead, you've clearly made up your mind.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Its incredible how so many people believe into all this shite it really is.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have made up my mind, now. I am fed up with being browbeaten by the outers. I'm now proper 'in'.

I'd like to say this has been an enlightening thread .. . . . but tetchy, condescending, and sometimes absurd would be more accurate. Still, the advice given by ;my lot' the British Pharmacological Society, has been equally unhelpful. Litres of data (or do I mean pints?), and no actual conclusion.

I may live to regret it, but there again, I might choke on my chicken Supreme, roasted over a bed of potatoes, and asparagus cut from my garden, tomorrow. I'm sure some of you will have your fingers crossed in anticipation. :lolol:

I have enjoyed chatting with JCFG - nice try there. But although I'm 'in', I am now 'over and out' (till I get curious again, anyway . . . . . :facepalm::lolol:)

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Yes but the above quote I replied with (and put below) are not my words they are written by Boris in his best selling book on Churchill, but as you have said already I cannot read without thought, so I will leave it to Boris:

When people say that Boris said, "The EU is like Hitler", I know that is a misrepresentation, and I can (and have tried to) explain why.

As for what Boris has written about the EU (or rather Churchill) in the past, and whether he has changed his mind, etc, I can't speak to that, you will have to ask him.

The EU is certainly not a source of prosperity accross Europe today, that is pretty evident. & as for a period of peace and stability, we have certainly had one, but the rise of the far right accross Europe in response to the circumstances the EU has created makes me worry for peace in Europe into the future.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Read my post carefully. I said that we rejected the notion of a united centralized European state, which Churchill was against, after all he led the fight against it. & He did so because it was, as I said, an idea based on power not unity. Churchill did work very successfully for a Europe which could cooperate and preserve peace, but you cannot suggest that what Churchill worked for was the same as the a united centralized European state which he led a war against.

Really? There is a world of difference between a Europe united by consent than one pummeled into submission by a war machine and dominated by a maniac dictator! It would be like comparing a commonwealth where we trade with countries as opposed to the one where we had an empire and our rule was forced upon them.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Really? There is a world of difference between a Europe united by consent than one pummeled into submission by a war machine and dominated by a maniac dictator! It would be like comparing a commonwealth where we trade with countries as opposed to the one where we had an empire and our rule was forced upon them.

You consistently insist on missing the point, don't you. Fair enough.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You consistently insist on missing the point, don't you. Fair enough.

No, I don't think I have if you read my other posts. References to Hitler were thrown in to muddy the waters and taint the EU. It's not relevant what the context was, it was the intent to get Hitler and the EU in the same headline.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I have made up my mind, now. I am fed up with being browbeaten by the outers. I'm now proper 'in'.

I'd like to say this has been an enlightening thread .. . . . but tetchy, condescending, and sometimes absurd would be more accurate. Still, the advice given by ;my lot' the British Pharmacological Society, has been equally unhelpful. Litres of data (or do I mean pints?), and no actual conclusion.

I may live to regret it, but there again, I might choke on my chicken Supreme, roasted over a bed of potatoes, and asparagus cut from my garden, tomorrow. I'm sure some of you will have your fingers crossed in anticipation. :lolol:

I have enjoyed chatting with JCFG - nice try there. But although I'm 'in', I am now 'over and out' (till I get curious again, anyway . . . . . :facepalm::lolol:)

You've been cracking in this thread, and I for one have thoroughly enjoyed your contribution

A lovely guy.

You're totally wrong, but a lovely guy never the less .

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sorry I stand by what I think Drew but, that's ok isn't it. Free thought and speech and all that. Bless you for sticking to your guns but you have to accept others will view you from their own belief and political standpoint. We all have to accept that.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
All this Hitler stuff got me doing a quick search and i found this

"Hitler offered something to everyone: work to the unemployed; prosperity to failed business people; profits to industry; expansion to the Army; social harmony and an end of class distinctions to idealistic young students; and restoration of German glory to those in despair. He promised to bring order amid chaos; a feeling of unity to all and the chance to belong. He would make Germany strong again; end payment of war reparations to the Allies; tear up the treaty of Versailles; stamp out corruption; keep down Marxism; and deal harshly with the Jews."

Many parallels to the OUT campaign

offered something to everyone ... Sounds like the EU and it's cheerleaders

work to the unemployed; prosperity to failed business people; profits to industry; - Big business want in for cheap plentiful supply of workers, unemployed of Europe can move to the UK to escape the Eurozone debacle, Labour and the Unions want in supposedly for workers rights *tick*

expansion to the Army; - Big push for an EU Army *tick*

social harmony and an end of class distinctions to idealistic young students; - One big happy European family free of borders .. don't students luv this stuff? *tick*

restoration of German glory to those in despair. - ...... *tick!*

order amid chaos; a feeling of unity to all and the chance to belong. - See EU one big happy European family *tick*

He would make Germany strong again; - *TICK!!*

stamp out corruption; - if only

Perhaps Boris had a point :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here