Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
You'd be surprised. According to the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36480764

According to the government's data website, 525,000 people applied to register to vote during the day - 170,000 were aged 25 to 34, 132,000 under the age of 25 and 100,000 aged 35 to 44. It also shows that the peak users came at 22:15 BST when 50,711 people were using the service at the same time. There were 26,000 people on the site at 23:55 BST and 20,416 people using the site at 12:01 BST, just after the deadline.

Half a million people - although it's only 1 or 2 percent of the total possible electorate. Completely agree about more people voting the better.

I read something today that said something along the lines of... although before the last election circa 400 thousand people registered to vote the day before the election, that only equated to about 100 thousand on the electoral register as most people who try and register are either already registered (as there is no way of checking if you are registered) or illegible to vote.

Still a whole load of people waiting till the last day though.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
He defended the £4300 figure and didn't shy away from it.

True. He was wrong though. The Treasury notes said that this number was misleading and shouldn't be used. Because....it's a projected difference between where UK GDP might be if we remain In, compared with where it might be if we were Out. A forecast which should be treated with caution, arbitrarily shared out by the number of households in the UK. And which actually represents a smaller increase in GDP than we might otherwise have achieved, not a fall in absolute terms. So basically a meaningless number.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
You know, funnily enough, I was quite impressed. Andrew Neil is a tough customer and GO didn't back down on any point really.

Impressed with Andrew Neil? Agreed, he's doing a good job. Impressed with George? Sorry, I can't see that. He was shown up. See my previous post. Everything he and DC have ever committed to has gone pear-shaped. Demonstrably. With video evidence.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I read something today that said something along the lines of... although before the last election circa 400 thousand people registered to vote the day before the election, that only equated to about 100 thousand on the electoral register as most people who try and register are either already registered (as there is no way of checking if you are registered) or illegible to vote.

Still a whole load of people waiting till the last day though.

Yep, I read elsewhere today that a large proportion of the late registers for the referendum were already on the list but just hadn't had their voting card. Although I feel the onus is on the voter to get their arse in gear, the numbers involved and the mess (and cost this causes) I wonder if there's an easier or more efficient way to do this - an automatic opt-in system based on NI numbers but I just can't see how that could work in practice.

I'm left thinking that we have to stick with the current system but clearly for a lot of people they haven't been getting the message so the government needs to find different ways of advertising this - especially for the under 25s.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
True. He was wrong though. The Treasury notes said that this number was misleading and shouldn't be used. Because....it's a projected difference between where UK GDP might be if we remain In, compared with where it might be if we were Out. A forecast which should be treated with caution, arbitrarily shared out by the number of households in the UK. And which actually represents a smaller increase in GDP than we might otherwise have achieved, not a fall in absolute terms. So basically a meaningless number.

I don't see what is meaningless about the number, it illustrates the massive economic benefit to staying in in terms that people can relate to.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I don't see what is meaningless about the number, it illustrates the massive economic benefit to staying in in terms that people can relate to.

Which the Treasury said should not be used in this way. Because it was misleading. I can't be arsed to repeat the rest of my last post, but let's just say if you are an average earner you won't notice much of a difference. If you are lucky enough to be a multi-millionaire then buckle up.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Is it wrong to be happy if we leave and happy if we stay? I'm quite glad I'm not voting and putting my name to either

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

Remain are leading our young people up the garden path. Why would young people want to effectively Remain in a club that allows your competition unrestricted access to their jobs market, I don't get it, I really don't. They will find out soon enough. That one chance of making a real difference, flushed down the toilet.

Last edited by a moderator:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Remain are leading our young people up the garden path. Why would young people want to effectively Remain in a club that allows your competition unrestricted access to their jobs market, I don't get it, I really don't. They will find out soon enough. That one chance of making a real difference, flushed down the toilet.

Yep these youngsters are walking blindfolded into making a decision that they could bitterly regret. You've got Cameron telling us to think of their future when voting. Well David after experiencing over 40 years of this corrupt,bullying and unaccountable organisation that is exactly what I'm going to do. That is why we have to LEAVE. If the young to vote to stay when they reach my age and look back they will realise what a golden opportunity they have wasted. That is what you get with age,life's experiences. The trouble when you're young is you think you know it all. We've probably all been guilty of that but nothing compares of knowing what is right than life itself. Wake up youngsters this will be your only chance. OUT.OUT.OUT.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Yep, I read elsewhere today that a large proportion of the late registers for the referendum were already on the list but just hadn't had their voting card. Although I feel the onus is on the voter to get their arse in gear, the numbers involved and the mess (and cost this causes) I wonder if there's an easier or more efficient way to do this - an automatic opt-in system based on NI numbers but I just can't see how that could work in practice.

I'm left thinking that we have to stick with the current system but clearly for a lot of people they haven't been getting the message so the government needs to find different ways of advertising this - especially for the under 25s.

Yep the people shold have got their arse in gear. They knew the deadline day. Then somone decides to allow extra time to register. This to me is changing the rules. Surely that is illegal when a campaign as important as this is under way.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Yep the people shold have got their arse in gear. They knew the deadline day. Then somone decides to allow extra time to register. This to me is changing the rules. Surely that is illegal when a campaign as important as this is under way.
Just a remain carve up...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 22389

They know most young voters will be voting for Remain, I can guarantee you if it was the other way around the registration form would only remain online for the amount of time the server went down. Remain are scrapping the barrel now, they are worried, however it could ultimately see Remain winning the referendum.

If we Remain at least I know I wasn't conned, I voted in the interests of my country, not the banks, not the big businesses and not a bunch of overpaid bureaucrats. You get everything you vote for.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Having received a fine by HMRC for a late self assessment submission a couple of years ago due to a similar system problem I will look forward to the refund coming through in the post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here