Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The implication in the words 'trot out' is that it isn't true - as I've posted before ( with the exact wording from the government website ), most HoL votes can be overridden by Parliament. It's amazing how few people know that. Do I think the government will ignore the viewpoint of circa 800 unelected, mostly ex-politicians over 17m voters ? Not sure - but they bloody well should. In fact, surely that's what the £1bn bribe to the DUP was paid to ensure.

But governments do promise things ..... they don;t necessarily deliver on those promises. The Brexit based legislation put before Parliament so far has passed.

Nice swerving of both posts. I’ll try again.

1) Yes, I know technically/legally the government can overrule the HoLl. But do you think the government will do this and simply ignore and overrule them?
2) I’m not disputing whether they promise things or not. I’m stating they can only try. And Theresa May is in no position whatsoever to promise anything.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Nice swerving of both posts. I’ll try again.

1) Yes, I know technically/legally the government can overrule the HoLl. But do you think the government will do this and simply ignore and overrule them?
2) I’m not disputing whether they promise things or not. I’m stating they can only try. And Theresa May is in no position whatsoever to promise anything.

1) How's me saying 'Not sure' swerving the question ? I don't know what the government will do - it's impossible to tell with May. I can say what I would hope they would do which is follow the will of the people and not the will of the unelected house.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They may be brilliant in their own fields but I wonder if Messrs Hawking, Cox and Attenborough have a basic grasp of economics.

Good point, well made. I wonder what the vast majority of professional economists think of Brexit.

Apparently the professionals do not think the same as your good self ???

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So, in your personal life, you would take the advice of an unqualified person over that of others?

So you're suggesting the referendum result shouldn't be honoured because experts say it's bad ? Sod democracy ? Using your theory let's do away with elections - instead experts can decide which party's offering would be best for the country and we appoint a government using their advice.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Having watched another Government minister skewered by Andrew Neil on Daily Politics it's becoming increasingly apparent that no-one really knows what sort of Brexit T May's government wants, least of all, T May.
'Tick tock', as someone on the thread keeps reminding us! I think things need to be sorted by late June but how can you negotiate if you don't know what you want (yet alone having any realistic chance of getting it, whatever the it may be)?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
So you're suggesting the referendum result shouldn't be honoured because experts say it's bad ? Sod democracy ? Using your theory let's do away with elections - instead experts can decide which party's offering would be best for the country and we appoint a government using their advice.

The vote said nothing about customs union and single market. Only a third of leavers thought this meant leaving the CU. in fact I wonder how many had even heard of it. People keep saying "respect democracy" but can't explain what Brexit actually means.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brexit needs to be stopped. Full stop. Not voted on. No 2nd referendum. Stopped. Full stop.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well that was a lovely break in the heart of the 'Evil Empire',but back to good old Blighty now.Ever closer to leaving,so have to get the holidays in before we are unable to travel anywhere,with no flights anywhere and our passports not welcome according to some.Wonder if they will still want our cash though?'Only a third of leavers thought this meant leaving the CU',eh Bertie?Where did you dream up that particular number?My guess would be Twatter.:lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well that was a lovely break in the heart of the 'Evil Empire',but back to good old Blighty now.Ever closer to leaving,so have to get the holidays in before we are unable to travel anywhere,with no flights anywhere and our passports not welcome according to some.Wonder if they will still want our cash though?'Only a third of leavers thought this meant leaving the CU',eh Bertie?Where did you dream up that particular number?My guess would be Twatter.:lolol:

Yeah. For your type, the one holiday to Magaluf a year, no big deal. I feel sorry for the folks who fly three, four, five times a week. They are gonna have a mare.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Having watched another Government minister skewered by Andrew Neil on Daily Politics it's becoming increasingly apparent that no-one really knows what sort of Brexit T May's government wants, least of all, T May.
'Tick tock', as someone on the thread keeps reminding us! I think things need to be sorted by late June but how can you negotiate if you don't know what you want (yet alone having any realistic chance of getting it, whatever the it may be)?
It's chaos all the way.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yeah. For your type, the one holiday to Magaluf a year, no big deal. I feel sorry for the folks who fly three, four, five times a week. They are gonna have a mare.

Magaluf?You're having a laugh.That was my third trip so far this year.The only folk I know that fly that many times a week are the aircrew,and the British Ambassador to the EU.And he won't need to fly back to Brussels after we leave!:lolol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Although he is universally not liked, Piers Mogan usually tells it like it is.
This morning he said that politicians on all sides have no idea what they are doing and no one is in agreement or towing the party line, it's a total mess and a huge cock up.
One of the main reasons I voted remain was because I knew this would happen.
It's gone beyond ridiculous now, we are a laughing stock, incapable of handling such a complicated issue.
Time to stop and just get out.
Or was that what the remainers in the Government wanted all along.
If we leave but keep freedom of movement I will probably die laughing, after all that's what people voted leave for mainly.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Although he is universally not liked, Piers Mogan usually tells it like it is.
This morning he said that politicians on all sides have no idea what they are doing and no one is in agreement or towing the party line, it's a total mess and a huge cock up.
One of the main reasons I voted remain was because I knew this would happen.
It's gone beyond ridiculous now, we are a laughing stock, incapable of handling such a complicated issue.
Time to stop and just get out.
Or was that what the remainers in the Government wanted all along.
If we leave but keep freedom of movement I will probably die laughing, after all that's what people voted leave for mainly.

But remember, everyone who voted Leave voted for this exact situation... fully conversant with the ramifications of their vote.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Magaluf?You're having a laugh.That was my third trip so far this year.The only folk I know that fly that many times a week are the aircrew,and the British Ambassador to the EU.And he won't need to fly back to Brussels after we leave!:lolol:

People who know they are wrong rarely admit it.
Its grown up to admit you and the other leavers have been sucked in, sold a pup and made a huge mistake.
I doubt your sort will own up through ignorance but at least tell me what is undemocratic about a 2nd referendum at the end as nobody knew this farce was going to happen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Hardly Bond are you!

I know people in civilian jobs that fly up to four sometimes five times a week. It's easy to rack up if you work accounts or procurement.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
May was embarrassingly bad at PMQ's , unable to give a straight answer to simple questions on Brexit policy
Of course she can't answer... Everything has to be deflected by saying " But the Labour Party... " some of her answers were excruciating, complete avoidance of the question. It's genuinely sad watching her puff the local election results as a triumph!

larus

Of course she can't answer... Everything has to be deflected by saying " But the Labour Party... " some of her answers were excruciating, complete avoidance of the question. It's genuinely sad watching her puff the local election results as a triumph!

What must be even more sad for you is that, as bad as May is (and I think she’s crap and I usually vote Tory), as much of a mess Brexit is perceived to be due the the EU/HoL/Rebel MPs/etc., Labour did not have a great set of results.

Normally the government gets a bloody nose in the council elections, but the shower of sh1t that Labour are couldn’t even do that.

I think you have more problems as May will not be PM for the next election, but Corbyn will be. :lol;

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here