Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Replacing an existing and well established free trading arrangement with your next door neighbour, the world’s biggest trade block and your biggest customer..... for what might happen with China. What a fantastic idea! It makes you wonder why more countries don’t do it.

Yes I don't disagree but there is an awful lot of potential in UK-China relations. This is the one of the optimistic takes I've read: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/24/brexit-europe-future-eurasian-europeans-asia

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Replacing an existing and well established free trading arrangement with your next door neighbour, the world’s biggest trade block and your biggest customer..... for what might happen with China. What a fantastic idea! It makes you wonder why more countries don’t do it.

Ha ha, since the leaked draft document that tickled you tummy with lower growth but also accepted that world trade deals would be struck half pissed on your parade really, you have been telling this thread that agreeing trade deals whilst outside of the EU members club would be nigh impossible to the point of ridicule, so you seem to have accepted deals will be done and have now changed to comparing their worth, you have been forced into a position of reasoned debate due to one speculative draft paper, lovely stuff.

It's your default position where you flip flop from one position to another, you have had practice can you name one western democracy that have had a government where its view mirrored yours, you end up no more than a relentless and irrelevant political activist a German version of 'Wolfie' Smith.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Ha ha, since the leaked draft document that tickled you tummy with lower growth but also accepted that world trade deals would be struck half pissed on your parade really, you have been telling this thread that agreeing trade deals whilst outside of the EU members club would be nigh impossible to the point of ridicule, so you seem to have accepted deals will be done and have now changed to comparing their worth...

You're right that government figures suggesting that the economy will be, respectively, eight, five or three per cent smaller do not include the offset effect of any new trade deals that might be struck. For the sake of balance the government's figure in respect of these, assuming that 'successful deals' are concluded with the United States, China, India, Australia, the Gulf countries and the nations of SE Asia would be around 0.6 per cent.

And it should be borne in mind that there will be a time gap - probably a big one - between taking the 8/5/3% hit (sometimes known as the "Brexit Dividend") and the conclusion of any trade deals.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
4 out of 5? I’m puzzled as to why anyone would buy a British car.

It always amazes me how you always put down British manufacturing. Sometimes you claim there is none despite there being a strong British manufacturing base - especially in high end technology. Now you wonder why anyone would buy a British built car despite some very high quality cars being built here in an industry worth over £70 BILLION a year in the UK. :facepalm: Time to relinquish your British nationality I think as appear to hate it so much.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It always amazes me how you always put down British manufacturing. Sometimes you claim there is none despite there being a strong British manufacturing base - especially in high end technology. Now you wonder why anyone would buy a British built car despite some very high quality cars being built here in an industry worth over £70 BILLION a year in the UK. :facepalm: Time to relinquish your British nationality I think as appear to hate it so much.

I agree with you. But this is not a British owned industry anymore and we don't call the shots. I'm afraid you and 17m others wreckless decision put this industry at huge risk. Around 1m jobs directly and indirectly in areas that need it most

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Mostly japanese cars buolt in Britain, because we offer access to the European market. It is one of the industries at great risk in this process. It might work out OK, but if the deal on the table at the end of negotiations looks like it would wreck it, would you still want to proceed?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You're right that government figures suggesting that the economy will be, respectively, eight, five or three per cent smaller do not include the offset effect of any new trade deals that might be struck. For the sake of balance the government's figure in respect of these, assuming that 'successful deals' are concluded with the United States, China, India, Australia, the Gulf countries and the nations of SE Asia would be around 0.6 per cent.

And it should be borne in mind that there will be a time gap - probably a big one - between taking the 8/5/3% hit (sometimes known as the "Brexit Dividend") and the conclusion of any trade deals.

That's assuming you take this draft paper as anything other than irrelevant, I suspect that the 8% over 15 years comes out at a little bit over 0.5% per year, if it was likely to be accurate then it does relate into many billions of pounds, but with quite small increments of undetermined future economic consequence then it is barely worth spending time analysing it, recent failure for established multi billion pound institutions to not even forecast the last 12 months of UK's gdp hardly helps its cause.

If there are highlighted weaknesses and vulnerabilities to sectors of UK industry then it has some worth, but pinning numbers some 15 years ahead is folly.

If it was my business I would ensure my EU negotiators were on point and that my world trade negotiations were a priority, skilled and dynamic and pretty quickly this draft paper would soon be binned.

The main point being that for many remain posters they were so wrapped up in the virtues of the EU they couldn't even accept that the UK might benefit from striking trade deals with anyone else, it's nearly that they are so keen to accept the lower productivity this paper suggests that they have now flipped and accepted that world trade deals might offer a unilateral benefit to our economy outside of the EU something they haven't before, of course only whilst any forecasts show a net loss due to reduced trade with the EU, some posters just squirt from one position to the next as long as they can keep the UK in some economic state of purgatory.

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Mostly japanese cars buolt in Britain, because we offer access to the European market. It is one of the industries at great risk in this process. It might work out OK, but if the deal on the table at the end of negotiations looks like it would wreck it, would you still want to proceed?

There is absolutely no chance of British car manufacturers being shut out of the EU.With the Germans being in everyone's bad books for poisoning the air,they need to keep onside anybody who will still buy their discredited tat.They still face some very big fines from class actions in the USA.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh dear Chuka... rather kills off the 'nobody knew what sort of BrExit they were voting for' whinging! :laugh:

Attachments

• Chuka Umunna - leave single market poster.jpg
    Chuka Umunna - leave single market poster.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 61

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oh dear Chuka... rather kills off the 'nobody knew what sort of BrExit they were voting for' whinging! :laugh:

The rubbish some people put on the side of vehicles,eh?:lolol:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There is absolutely no chance of British car manufacturers being shut out of the EU.With the Germans being in everyone's bad books for poisoning the air,they need to keep onside anybody who will still buy their discredited tat.They still face some very big fines from class actions in the USA.

Problem is their discredited tat is still selling well in the UK with VW now selling the same as Ford and Mercedes numbers actually up on a year ago, despite Brexit and a UK sales in meltdown

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

There is a chance that tariffs would make British built cars far more expensive than those built elsewhere in the EU though, pricing them out.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That's assuming you take this draft paper as anything other than irrelevant, I suspect that the 8% over 15 years comes out at a little bit over 0.5% per year, if it was likely to be accurate then it does relate into many billions of pounds, but with quite small increments of undetermined future economic consequence then it is barely worth spending time analysing it, recent failure for established multi billion pound institutions to not even forecast the last 12 months of UK's gdp hardly helps its cause.

If there are highlighted weaknesses and vulnerabilities to sectors of UK industry then it has some worth, but pinning numbers some 15 years ahead is folly.

If it was my business I would ensure my EU negotiators were on point and that my world trade negotiations were a priority, skilled and dynamic and pretty quickly this draft paper would soon be binned.

The main point being that for many remain posters they were so wrapped up in the virtues of the EU they couldn't even accept that the UK might benefit from striking trade deals with anyone else, it's nearly that they are so keen to accept the lower productivity this paper suggests that they have now flipped and accepted that world trade deals might offer a unilateral benefit to our economy outside of the EU something they haven't before, of course only whilst any forecasts show a net loss due to reduced trade with the EU, some posters just squirt from one position to the next as long as they can keep the UK in some economic state of purgatory.

Economic forecasts are more often than not, incorrect. However, they are as often too optimistic as too pessimistic.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I can't seem to grasp your point here? Are you saying you believed that when Michael Gove said we should seek an Albanian type arrangement, that is what would happen?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Problem is their discredited tat is still selling well in the UK with VW now selling the same as Ford and Mercedes numbers actually up on a year ago, despite Brexit and a UK sales in meltdown

Not actually true but we all know how good you remainers are with figures.

EDIT - I forgot to stick to the remainers rules of always providing the data because I'm a leaver ( not necessary for a remainer to do though ! ). SMMT : Year to Dec 17, VW's 208k units, Ford 287k units.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can't seem to grasp your point here? Are you saying you believed that when Michael Gove said we should seek an Albanian type arrangement, that is what would happen?

The rather simple point is Umunna and his arch-Remoaner cohorts whinge constantly that nobody told us we were voting to leave the Single Market. That is all.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The rather simple point is Umunna and his arch-Remoaner cohorts whinge constantly that nobody told us we were voting to leave the Single Market. That is all.

There was no certainty on that, Dan Hannan for one suggested, quite forcefully at times, that "no one is talking about giving up our place in the single market".
There was also an assumption by many that we would not leave the single market, as it is a batshit crazy idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here