Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Migration directly reflects economic growth - Well there's a surprise :facepalm:

Maybe it was Nigel's plan to have a long hard recession and stop it completely all along

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Migration directly reflects economic growth - Well there's a surprise :facepalm:

Maybe it was Nigel's plan to have a long hard recession and stop it completely all along

Nige always said its a price worth paying, thats if you have a cash cushion to see you through hard times. Though it does look like Brexit could mean higher bankers bonuses with less regulation, strange times...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I though TM said when the original offer was made a few months back ( as part of her speech in Italy) that the £20billion was to cover our long term commitments to projects we had signed up for as a member of the Union and would in effect run out in 2022.

Now it appears that the EU want somewhere in the region of E50 billion +....so if the first amount was just an "offer" as opening bid as it where...why did David Davies say on Andrew marr's show that the figures were nowhere near and absurd to suggest it is £50billion?

I know £50 billion is a slash in the ocean of government spending, but I am sure I cant remember anyone telling me that a "divorce settlement" would be anywhere near that figure.

Of course if they cant agree about the customs border with Ireland, it is all dead in the water anyway as per EU rules, for this sort of thing, all 27 members have to be in agreement.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The foreign secretary?

Not this AGAIN !!!! I know you like to quote out of context to support the remain argument but this one is getting a bit tedious now. Go and view the WHOLE Q&A session. He said the EU could go whistle in regards to the suggested figure of £100bn. Even if you believe the latest rumours ( and that is what they are ) of £50bn his response was about the much higher figure.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Numbers from the EU grew-123,000 left but 230,000 arrived.Does that mean the EU's economic growth is shrinking?Well there's a surprise:facepalm:
Maybe it's Merkel's plan to help the unemployment figures by sending them here.:lolol:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I don't understand your point. Of course it is. This is exactly what was said all along I.e. We will have to pay an enournous bill to leave. I don't think it was remainders who said we would not pay a penny was it? Or is this a new meaning to "go whistle"

The interesting bit will be the detail about transition. How long are we paying in to ensure we are not completely screwed by leaving.

and we would have continued paying an even more enormous bill to remain. :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
and we would have continued paying an even more enormous bill to remain. :thumbsup:

Could take a while to plug the economic deficit since leave won, running at £300m a week from poor growth. Gonna need some killer trade deals..

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not this AGAIN !!!! I know you like to quote out of context to support the remain argument but this one is getting a bit tedious now. Go and view the WHOLE Q&A session. He said the EU could go whistle in regards to the suggested figure of £100bn. Even if you believe the latest rumours ( and that is what they are ) of £50bn his response was about the much higher figure.

Complete rewriting of history there.

Here's the full exchange from Hansard

"Mr Philip Hollobone (Kettering) (Con)
Since we joined the Common Market on 1 January 1973 until the date we leave, we will have given the EU and its predecessors, in today’s money in real terms, a total of £209 billion. Will the Foreign Secretary make it clear to the EU that if it wants a penny piece more, it can go whistle?

Boris Johnson
I am sure that my hon. Friend’s words will have broken like a thunderclap over Brussels and they will pay attention to what he has said. He makes a very valid point; the sums that I have seen that they propose to demand from this country seem to me to be extortionate, and I think that to “go whistle” is an entirely appropriate expression.
"

In other words, Johnson was agreeing with Hollobone's assertion that the UK had paid enough since it had joined the EEC (as it was then) and they could "go whistle" for any more. Not £50bn, not £20bn

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Since we joined the Common Market on 1 January 1973 until the date we leave, we will have given the EU and its predecessors, in today’s money in real terms, a total of £209 billion. Will the Foreign Secretary make it clear to the EU that if it wants a penny piece more, it can go whistle?

Boris Johnson
I am sure that my hon. Friend’s words will have broken like a thunderclap over Brussels and they will pay attention to what he has said. He makes a very valid point; the sums that I have seen that they propose to demand from this country seem to me to be extortionate, and I think that to “go whistle” is an entirely appropriate expression.
"

In other words, Johnson was agreeing with Hollobone's assertion that the UK had paid enough since it had joined the EEC (as it was then) and they could "go whistle" for any more. Not £50bn, not £20bn

That is not what Boris said at all,and your quote says that:

crap.jpg

'the sums that I have seen that they PROPOSE to demand from this country' is absolutely nothing to do with what we have already paid!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Could take a while to plug the economic deficit since leave won, running at £300m a week from poor growth. Gonna need some killer trade deals..

And your proof for those figures is where?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Boris Johnson
"

In his words he made it clear the go whistle comment was referring to sums he had seen that the EU were supposedly demanding. At the time of that debate as high as 100bn Euros.

I have never heard him say we shouldn't pay anything but he has said ...“Of course we will meet our obligations. We are law-abiding, bill-paying people".

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Those immigration figures can't be right. I'm sure quite a few of our resident Remaniacs told me/us Brexit wouldn't make any difference to net immigration.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Still the chaos and confusion rumbles on.... its going to cost us £50 billion to be worse off than we were ! what a success !

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I seem to remember us having a chat about the divorce bill a year ago. I might look if I get a chance later. Some said.

"The EU initially said they want 50 billion so U.K. said no. We then suggested the EU would up their bid to such an extent that when we eventually pay the 50 billion the electorate will fall for the line that uk negotiated this even though what EU wanted all along."

Someone must be able to find it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Those immigration figures can't be right. I'm sure quite a few of our resident Remaniacs told me/us Brexit wouldn't make any difference to net immigration.

I heard from a very good sauce that one hospital in central london lost over 400 European staff in the last 6 months...at least half of them were front line staff. They haven't been able to replace them and are using agency staff at three times the rate they had been paying...then it seems like the agencies are starting to struggle to fill their books too.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I heard from a very good sauce that one hospital in central london lost over 400 European staff in the last 6 months...at least half of them were front line staff. They haven't been able to replace them and are using agency staff at three times the rate they had been paying...then it seems like the agencies are starting to struggle to fill their books too.

I heard from a very good sauce (the ONS) that the net fall in immigration re the EU was mainly down to fewer people coming here without a confirmed job. Number of EU citizens that had a guaranteed job was actually up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here