Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Yes and also exists to listen to the will of the people after a democratic referendum voted to LEAVE the EU. Now I fully understand that a few of you are finding that hard to come to terms with but that is exactly what they should be listening to. Not using it to unsettle the country to their own political agenda.

Ah yes, a pleasant and reassuring term you would think. Huh, no unfortunately, according to 'remainers' it is a plaything, an excuse to introduce spin, rumour, fear and doubt. Just like George and Dave.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Ah yes, a pleasant and reassuring term you would think. Huh, no unfortunately, according to 'remainers' it is a plaything, an excuse to introduce spin, rumour, fear and doubt. Just like George and Dave.

Can always exit and take up eg the Swiss solution, or the Norwegian one, neither of whom are in the EU. Fully democratic. I think Corbyn is slowly starting to get the idea. Or a new elected government who don't want to leave. It's not over yet.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

"Switzerland and Norway have to pay into the European Union coffers, they have to obey all European Union laws ... no Norwegian or Swiss MEPs or commissioners, they have no passport checks, they have no power whatsoever, all the rules are made by foreigners."

Nick Clegg 2014

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
"Switzerland and Norway have to pay into the European Union coffers, they have to obey all European Union laws ... no Norwegian or Swiss MEPs or commissioners, they have no passport checks, they have no power whatsoever, all the rules are made by foreigners."

Nick Clegg 2014

Agreed, it was a mistake to vote to leave the EU but some did and we need to follow through. These options are better than cutting off your nose though

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes and also exists to listen to the will of the people after a democratic referendum voted to LEAVE the EU. Now I fully understand that a few of you are finding that hard to come to terms with but that is exactly what they should be listening to. Not using it to unsettle the country to their own political agenda.

I don't think that being for or against the repeal bill in it's current form, is a leave or remain issue. I think it makes sense to draft in all EU law that has come in under the communities act wholesale and amend as we go, it also makes sense for much of this to be done by S.I., however, MP's must have the opportunity to scrutinise the S.I. and have the chance to amend it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think that being for or against the repeal bill in it's current form, is a leave or remain issue. I think it makes sense to draft in all EU law that has come in under the communities act wholesale and amend as we go, it also makes sense for much of this to be done by S.I., however, MP's must have the opportunity to scrutinise the S.I. and have the chance to amend it.

Of course they must.....it's what they're elected to do.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Well, this polI did ask people how we should structure a points based system, they were offered a list of countries and whether we should increase or decrease the numbers of people from these countries we accept as migrants.
I was reading the graph rather than the text, and perhaps I was wrong to say white preference, but an immigration policy that weighted applications in favour of those ranked high in this poll, or put a negative against those countries listed as less desireable in this survey would rightly be called out as a racist immigration policy.

Two professors expressed the view that we would open up to the commonwealth, I noted that the poll showed a preference for Canada and Australia placing them at the top, along with Ireland, a former commonwealth country.
Nigeria and Pakistan are close to the bottom. Perhaps it is an anti Islamic thing rather than a white thing.
To call it a preference for similar culture makes no sense, when Japanese and Chinese are more welcome than Polish and Israeli. And Germany and France are more welcome than South Africans.

You would think that a survey where 70% of people felt immigration had been too high over the last ten years would logically find that those people would most want to reduce numbers coming from the countries that has supplied the most migrants in the UK recently. So why does Turkey come bottom of the list? And you have to assume that people have been seeing too much Trump news to think that we need to restrict Mexicans more than Poles.

If we built an immigration policy on public opinion, we would get a racist and dysfunctional one.

Agree its obvious you didn’t read the text that’s why you wrongly decided to insert whiteness as a reason. Not sure you still have read the text, when you ask instead “Perhaps it is an anti Islamic thing rather than a white thing” you must have missed the bit that says “In fact, the only area that the majority of people didn’t think was important was a migrant’s religion”. So well done again for missing the point and inventing reasoning that’s not there.

But we are not building an immigration policy on public opinion so its rather pointless you keep saying “if” we did. But pray tell what is racist about the public or its opinion?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I agree with you about democratically elected people running the country though. They're the ones to make the big decisions about our future. It's why Parliament exists.

Good to see you have finally come round to the notion that another referendum on this big decision should not happen and be left up to the general public and that the big decisions about Brexit after the initial advice from the will of the people should now rest in the hands of Parliament.
I knew you would change your mind eventually after listening to our common sense.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Of course they must.....it's what they're elected to do.

If Mp`s vote democratically for a law that delegates SI`s to be involved and for ministers to use delegated powers to form delegated legislation (Henry VIII powers) then please explain why MP`s must then have the opportunity to scrutinise the Statutory Institute when they have voted democratically to absolve themselves of that process?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No we don't. I prefer democratically elected people running the country (or trying to).

Pity she doesn't realise that the governance of the country isn't a rich woman's plaything. Hopefully eventually the judiciary will grow a pair and put her in her place rather than pandering to her.

You will thank her one day, in keeping the b*****ds honest. This government must be the most corrupt we've in a century

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Mp`s vote democratically for a law that delegates SI`s to be involved and for ministers to use delegated powers to form delegated legislation (Henry VIII powers) then please explain why MP`s must then have the opportunity to scrutinise the Statutory Institute when they have voted democratically to absolve themselves of that process?

For the same reason many people check work they've delegated to others.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You will thank her one day, in keeping the b*****ds honest. This government must be the most corrupt we've in a century

Thats awful
Can you please please please share your evidence of corruption..............would hate to think you are inventing stuff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You dont understand Parliamentary procedure do you?
Lets start at the beginning, how do you achieve Henry VIII powers on an act of parliament?

I do....and I really can't be arsed to have a circular discussion about it today. Have a nice day...I'm hopping over to the IPhone and album threads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here