Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
As was mentioned by an ex EEC British negotiator on 5Live yesterday, there will be winners and losers in these negotiations as there are many agendas in play and we should not expect to get any sort of settlement without taking some painful medicine. This is just the first possible stumbling block.

Anyone predicting who are winners will be on our side? So far the richer have been getting richer and the poor, poorer

Foreign investment holders 1 Life's essentials 0

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Anyone predicting who are winners will be on our side? So far the richer have been getting richer and the poor, poorer

The rich will get richer (including most politicians), the poor will get poorer (including most people who need any type of support from the state), and the stupid will remain stupid (awaiting Ppf's next insightful contribution when he cleans the drool from his keyboard)

The real question is what this will do to the dividing line between rich and poor. We will have a better idea in 2 years

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Gibraltar nearly all voted to remain, so they have more in common with Spain now. I guess the next thing is they'll be demanding Scottish independence.

Be interesting to see what the Welsh do when the go from being a net receiver of subsidies to getting what leadsom grudgingly gives them, that lamb is going to become pretty uncompetitive when the subsidies go and a tariff gets put on it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Be interesting to see what the Welsh do when the go from being a net receiver of subsidies to getting what leadsom grudgingly gives them, that lamb is going to become pretty uncompetitive when the subsidies go and a tariff gets put on it.

Plus the much heralded free trade deal with New Zealand to completely kill of sheep farming here.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You have misunderstood. BB meant "anyone" in the sense of "everyone".
Yes I know, he got it wrong. But you then copied him and got it wrong too.

My grammar is correct. Your interpretation is wrong.
No, your grammar is wrong.
Anyone is a substitute for everyone in BB's post.
It's ****ing wrong you dummy!
I merely repeated it and pointed out I never wrote it.
Yes you did write it. You didn't quote BB, you wrote your own comment, and it was wrong. I understand why you got it wrong, you read BB's use of "anyone", so you used it too, but in doing so you got it wrong.

I did not mean to type "everyone", I meant to and indeed did, type "anyone". Quite correctly, quite simple.
It's ****ing wrong you dummy! I don't know if you realise you're wrong and just don't want to admit it, or if you really don't know the difference between "anyone" and "everyone".

Your statement: "I never stated anyone who voted leave was thick"
means "I never stated that any one single person who voted to leave was thick".

Can you not see that?

Here, I'll google a grammar explanation for you:
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000274.htm
The compound pronouns anyone or everyone mean "any person" and "all the people," respectively.
The non-compound modified pronoun any one or every one put a greater emphasis on the word one and mean "any single person or thing" and "every single person or thing."

You are wrong and you're getting tiresome. So, shhh now.
Tiresome, no doubt, but I'm not wrong, I'm definitely right.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Could I respectfully suggest that Triggaaar and The Clamp get a F***ING ROOM AND STOP POSTING INANE DRIVEL ON HERE

....and relax

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes I know, he got it wrong. But you then copied him and got it wrong too.

No, your grammar is wrong.
It's ****ing wrong you dummy!
Yes you did write it. You didn't quote BB, you wrote your own comment, and it was wrong. I understand why you got it wrong, you read BB's use of "anyone", so you used it too, but in doing so you got it wrong.

It's ****ing wrong you dummy! I don't know if you realise you're wrong and just don't want to admit it, or if you really don't know the difference between "anyone" and "everyone".

Your statement: "I never stated anyone who voted leave was thick"
means "I never stated that any one single person who voted to leave was thick".

Can you not see that?

Here, I'll google a grammar explanation for you:
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000274.htm

Tiresome, no doubt, but I'm not wrong, I'm definitely right.

Seriously mate, it doesn't matter how many times you try and break it down. You have got this one wrong. I can see where you're going wrong and I understand, it's all on intonation but the grammar is sound . Now please, you want to figure it out please do so in private, this is excruciating. Let's just agree to disagree, you won't convince me otherwise I'm afraid.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Shhhhh ! they don't like talk like that on here, you mustn't go stating the obvious .

We shouldn't be mentioning that at all.

Remember the bulk of MP's who favoured brexit are mostly the one prefixed with "Sir " who sit on the Tory side of the House who are desperate to increase the earnings of those pals of theirs who give them so many directorships. Then they can pay more tax and pay their workers more.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And if Brexit goes tits up then the Tories will pay a very heavy price indeed. It's the same thing.

I don't think it is.

If the Tories mishandle the Brexit planning then they can be punished at the ballot box. But if Brexit is shown to be a bad idea in itself there is no one to punish because the politicians (and by extension parliament) have delegated all responsibility for the decision to the general public. It is for this reason that the two most significant prime ministers since the war, Clement Attlee and Margaret Thatcher, who probably agreed on nothing else, were both utterly dismissive of referendums. Referendums absolve politicians of responsibility. They are a cop out. There is, quite literally, no one to blame of a referendum comes up with an unworkable result.

Consider by way of an example if there was another referendum on, say, capital punishment or flogging (both of which Brexit voters on balance apparently want) and the hangers and floggers won, with the result that the UK was chucked out of a number of international bodies, there were riots in the street and huge amounts of foreign direct investment were cancelled. The government could either say "we must carry on, the people have spoken, it's not our fault, we're off the hook whatever happens" or, on the other hand, "bugger that, they have made the wrong decision and, as politicians of principle with copious background information and in receipt of the finest advice, we're going to ignore the vote and do what we think is right".

I know which I prefer. And sadly, I know what Theresa May, fresh from arguing against Brexit, is intending to do.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
When last in Gibraltar a few months back locals were still in total shock regarding Brexit and those I spoke to are now starting to consider a possable future as part of Spain

Perhaps a sufficient proportion of the Northern Irish will feel the same, for similar reasons.

It may or may not happen and there's a long way to go, but what an irony that the flag-wavers, war-invokers and anthem-hummers of the Leave campaign have done more to encourage the break up of Great Britain than all the enemies we have ever had put together. What have they done?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriously mate, it doesn't matter how many times you try and break it down. You have got this one wrong. I can see where you're going wrong and I understand, it's all on intonation but the grammar is sound
What the ****? Grammar is grammar, it isn't sound. Intonation can't help you here, it can't turn "anyone" into "everyone".

Let's just agree to disagree
We can agree to disagree about whether Brexit is a good idea or not, that's a matter of opinion. Here we're talking about a matter of fact. If you're too stubborn and ignorant to accept it, fine.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What the ****? Grammar is grammar, it isn't sound. Intonation can't help you here, it can't turn "anyone" into "everyone".

We can agree to disagree about whether Brexit is a good idea or not, that's a matter of opinion. Here we're talking about a matter of fact. If you're too stubborn and ignorant to accept it, fine.

"Anyone" can be used as a sound substitute for "everyone" in some cases. That is a fact and it is grammatically sound. No argument. No amount of your stupid whining will change that.

The original point by BB, that I typed "anyone who votes Brexit is thick" is incorrect. I didn't type it. Simple. Again, no argument.

You are wrong on both counts now please, pretty please with a cherry on top, stop going on about it. You are wrong and you are thick and you are annoying. Go away. Go on, bzzz. Bzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzz.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Honestly, if Trigaar cannot get his head around it , a dimwitted weapon like you will have zero chance.

Haven't Wettons got any toilets to clean?:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What a lovely day.That's my prawn sandwich ticket for Villa sorted!Catalunya are hoping I will be back soon.Flybe,Monarch,and the newly arrived Jet2 all want to sell me tickets.Aer Lingus want me to go back to Dublin as they have lots of special offers.Has nobody told these airlines that they won't be able to fly anymore?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What is Wettons and why would I be cleaning their toilets? You really are odd.

Somebody told me you worked for them.Apparently,they have jobs all round Brighton-some of them big ones.:lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Somebody told me you worked for them.Apparently,they have jobs all round Brighton-some of them big ones.:lolol:

I see. Very good. No. I don't work for a place called Wettons and I don't clean toilets. Kind of makes your "joke" rather obsolete doesn't it. Good effort though, I'm sure you gave some of The Fairy Godfathers a chuckle.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For lord's sake don't look out of your front door then. You may find you're living in Birmingham.

One of the few British cities I've left from thinking and genuinely meaning "I will never go back there if I can help it". The other was Coventry. Both utter holes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here