Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
This will be interesting

"Paris pitches for bankers as it predicts exodus from City. In one of the most aggressive marketing initiatives yet, a delegation of French political and business leaders met representatives of about 80 banks and fund managers for a summit yesterday on the 37th floor of London’s Shard."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rive-to-woo-london-bankers-uprooted-by-brexit

I am aware Frankfurt are doing similar and Berlin has been in London eyeing up the tech scene.

No option won't........for the same reason I highlighted in post 25054.

Or as explained here.......

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...ondon-as-global-financial-centre-post-brexit/

In short, get fvcked Napoleon.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
1. Most of those that voted voted to leave the EU.

2. The formal process to do so is about to start.

3. The implications of leaving will become far more apparent during the course of this process.

4. People will have different views about the net effect of these implications.

5. I can see nothing undemocratic about asking the people for their view in the light of the additional information that will be available to them.

6. We disagree.

7. The chances of your view prevailing vastly exceed mine.

8. Precedent suggests that I will be called a hypocritical and undemocratic moron for holding my view.

The above are facts.

This is an opinion... Although there are considerable differences in cause and circumstance, I see similarities in the situation now and that in 1974. The people were asked if they wanted Labour in power. On balance they said that they did. The government refined and clarified its position during the summer and a few months later asked them again. They said, rather more strongly, that they held the same view as before. There was nothing undemocratic then and there would be nothing undemocratic now. "End of."

But this wasn't about you, this was about the MPs that voted for a referendum that won't vote for article 50.

The likes of Ken Clarke who voted against the referendum bill, has the best case for voting against article 50, which he did.

For those that voted for the nation wide referendum but then decided to vote against the nation wide result are not democrats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Out of interest have you finished digging that hole in the other thread? Or should I pop back for some more giggles?
More interestingly, what do you think of the Forbes article? Do you like the possibility that it raises, of London continuing to be the dominant financial centre of Europe at the expense of Paris and Frankfurt?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
But this wasn't about you, this was about the MPs that voted for a referendum that won't vote for article 50.

The likes of Ken Clarke who voted against the referendum bill, has the best case for voting against article 50, which he did.

For those that voted for the nation wide referendum but then decided to vote against the nation wide result are not democrats.

Given that the government has, since the referendum, decided to kick parliamentary sovereignty into the long grass I can quite understand a member clutching any procedural straw in an attempt to reassert Westminster's influence over the Tory Party's magic circle. I doubt they'll succeed but I salute them for trying.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The actual words I used were 'I can see nothing democratic about asking people for their view in the light of the additional information that will be available to them' and I stand by those. I appreciate that you want everything done and dusted on Brexit before people have any more relevant information and I can understand why - if I had just flogged someone a misleadingly advertised motor I would really want their cash in my bank before they lifted the bonnet.

In view of your comments perhaps you would like me to adjust my label to 'blind, hypocritical and undemocratic moron'?

If they had been your actual words I wouldn't have replied .. do you still mean undemocratic? As we have been told we are Leaving the EU I can't see how we have been misled .. it's what the majority voted for.

Your label is your business. Many people have been insulted numerous times (eg 'thick as pigsh1t') on these threads but you seem uniquely sensitive to the cut and thrust of robust debate.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
92 Prozent der Linksradikalen wohnen noch bei Mutti...... The figures, which were published in the German daily newspaper Bild.
http://m.bild.de/regional/berlin/li...h-bei-mutti-44249918.bildMobile.html#fromWall
Which translated means 92% of left-wing activists live with their parents
one in three is unemployed, study of Berlin protesters finds.
The vast majority of left-wing protesters arrested on suspicion of politically-fuelled offences in Berlin are young men who live with their parents, a new report found

In 15 per cent of these cases, the victims were right wing activists.

The new figures were released by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution (BfV).

Between 2009 and 2013, the Bild report claims, left-wing assassins attempted to commit 11 murders.

Figures were compiled by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution
Of those arrested for politically-motivated offences, 84 per cent were men
The majority, 72 per cent, were aged between 18 and 29
Of offences against a person, four out of five cases were against police officers

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If they had been your actual words I wouldn't have replied .. do you still mean undemocratic? As we have been told we are Leaving the EU I can't see how we have been misled .. it's what the majority voted for.

Your label is your business. Many people have been insulted numerous times (eg 'thick as pigsh1t') on these threads but you seem uniquely sensitive to the cut and thrust of robust debate.

Well done for picking up a typo. I absolutely concede the existence of a typo.

Re being described as a blood-sodden hypocritical moron I am not remotely upset at all to the description. It is a hilarious revelation of the strange depths of the person who uttered it. As for 'uniquely sensitive', do us a favour. This thread has been knee-deep in Leavers complaining that they are all being called racist thickos. Which they haven't been.

Jan 30, 2008
Well done for picking up a typo. I absolutely concede the existence of a typo.

Re being described as a blood-sodden hypocritical moron I am not remotely upset at all to the description. It is a hilarious revelation of the strange depths of the person who uttered it. As for 'uniquely sensitive', do us a favour. This thread has been knee-deep in Leavers complaining that they are all being called racist thickos. Which they haven't been.
no just some tired old fool bleating on about how he can't deal with leaving the EU ???
regards
DR

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exhaustive would be a better word,i tried and failed to finish,can you summarize at all?

"Me, me, me" I think covers a considerable bit of it, along with, "How I won the referendum" (although that too could almost be covered by me, me, me). The rest isn't so interesting.....................

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I can provide an executive summary for a very reasonable fee :D

british_old-banknote-50-pounds-sterling-obverse.jpg

Hope that will cover it

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Sorry - I only take Euros.
Seriously though I would give it another go. I found it an interesting and informative account from a unique perspective and have re read it a couple of times.

was just about to use the Euro :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here