Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You are correct you didn’t mention his name,it, but they are the words of Churchill, you obviously knew this when posting them.
Are you playing some sort of silly game when you asked alfredmizen
“what is your view of people of actually WRITE 'cringeworthy bollox' like this?”

more importantly you seem stumped with the question how could fallon be acting democratically and don’t want to play anymore, you are entitled to bow out of course but your silence on that very important matter speaks volumes though.

My silence speaks of nothing other than my wish not to have a conversation with you.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
It doesn't seem quite that black and white to me. In my post I made the point that anyone making your point about democracy certainly has a tangible case to make. As well as tangible it is also honourable, which is why I wouldn't sling epithets at anyone making it. But facing the argument in favour of direct democracy is one in favour of Britain's long-established traditions of representative parliamentary democracy. I believe that that is an honourable argument too.

I make the second argument but let's be realistic. Which of the two we support in this case has much to do with practical consequences. If the 23 June result had gone the other way both sides' constitutional arguments would likely have switched. It's called debating and I still don't think chucking insults into the mix, however mild, helps.

BSM

Nope, you are drawing in whataboutery.

The facts are we have a legitimate outcome from a referendum, which was held after the Parliament voted for it.

At best those MPs that did not vote for it would have a case not to vote in favour of the outcome referendum.

Those that did vote for it, which I understand all Lib Dems did, are now behaving dishonestly and dishonourably. As a dyed in the wool Leave supporter I thought Kier Starmer's speech on voting for Article 50 was excellent and he explained why for democratic reasons remain orientated MPs (even those from remain voting constituencies) had to vote in favour of it.

Those that didn't are not democrats........end of.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oh dear,the Chump has finally out-stupidded himself.What a shame.Oh well,Wettons will be pleased-he should have more time on the job now.:wave:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just a personal opinion but we have always been able to travel to Europe easily and without too much travelling to do, its on our doorstep so to speak. Brits do seem to go to far flung places, ive been close to moving twice abroad, Africa and USA, and if i was going to live overseas it would be there or Australia, maybe Far East,somewhere a little more adventurous.
Moving to Europe would just seem like moving next door and be going somewhere you can whizz over and visit for a weekend anyway......bit like Skegness.

What stopped you?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh look....Further analysis of the brexit voting data finds further correlations between leave votes and the uneducated and elderly.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

Quelle surprise.

Awwww...... Perhaps you should have read as far as the bit where it said, 'This is where the link between low qualifications and Leave voting breaks down'. But that wouldn't fit your agenda, would it?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Might wake a few deniers up.......
What has the thickness of nylon stockings got to do with anything (except, of course, the thickness of nylon stockings)?

The key word here is 'expect'. Of course they expect to put their prices up. They're greedy men, and they see a perfect excuse to increase their profit margins. And they expect to get away with it.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Awwww...... Perhaps you should have read as far as the bit where it said, 'This is where the link between low qualifications and Leave voting breaks down'. But that wouldn't fit your agenda, would it?

I wouldn't say I have an "agenda" as such. I do, however have preconceived notions that the leave vote was attained mainly due to the gutter press' influence on the old and the thick. This article pings my Confirmation Bias and as such I thought I'd instantly post it up on here.

Isn't that what this thread is for?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wouldn't say I have an "agenda" as such. I do, however have preconceived notions that the leave vote was attained mainly due to the gutter press' influence on the old and the thick. This article pings my Confirmation Bias and as such I thought I'd instantly post it up on here.

Isn't that what this thread is for?
Well yes, including acknowledging "the link between low qualifications and Leave voting breaks down", according to the article you link to. Otherwise it is just your agenda.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Well yes, including acknowledging "the link between low qualifications and Leave voting breaks down", according to the article you link to. Otherwise it is just your agenda.

What? The article states there is a general trend, but acknowledges that there are a few wards that buck this trend. You've honed in on that one sentence because you're suffering from cognitive dissonance. It's an uncomfortable feeling I know, but one you have to work through if you want to view the world as it is, rather than as you want it to be.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Of course they expect to put their prices up. They're greedy men

:lol: at the denier thing, and the other bit too. But let's be honest, you really don't understand how business works do you? Oh, and before you do the remoaner thing ad infinitum, I have accepted the voters decision, now you have to accept the consequences.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This will be interesting

"Paris pitches for bankers as it predicts exodus from City. In one of the most aggressive marketing initiatives yet, a delegation of French political and business leaders met representatives of about 80 banks and fund managers for a summit yesterday on the 37th floor of London’s Shard."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rive-to-woo-london-bankers-uprooted-by-brexit

I am aware Frankfurt are doing similar and Berlin has been in London eyeing up the tech scene.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This will be interesting

"Paris pitches for bankers as it predicts exodus from City. In one of the most aggressive marketing initiatives yet, a delegation of French political and business leaders met representatives of about 80 banks and fund managers for a summit yesterday on the 37th floor of London’s Shard."

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rive-to-woo-london-bankers-uprooted-by-brexit

I am aware Frankfurt are doing similar and Berlin has been in London eyeing up the tech scene.
I think the tone of the guardian is what interests me. Incredibly slanted and taking the loss of passporting as a given (it's not). I wonder why the guardian seems to revel in bringing the most negative point of view?

Here's another article from a London point of view.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...he-french-bankers-in-london-a3459546.html?amp

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think the tone of the guardian is what interests me. Incredibly slanted and taking the loss of passporting as a given (it's not). I wonder why the guardian seems to revel in bringing the most negative point of view?

Here's another article from a London point of view.

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/c...he-french-bankers-in-london-a3459546.html?amp

"slant" aside it's reporting the same thing. What's your point?

(I'll overlook the numerous journalistic assumptions and the fact this is an editorial piece from a Russian owned newspaper)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here