Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes yes, hordes of Eastern European migrants are just chomping at the bit to come to suburban British gardens and start smashing up our garden gnomes. We know.

I didn't mention Eastern Europeans , another poster brought it into the debate with his comment about the remain majority in London , I was commenting on the likelihood of action being taken in the event of thousands of "refugees" turning up in Brighton or haywards heath, as an aside you only ever seem to respond with silly, facetious comments , I can't take you seriously without a serious response, but then again you're a long way away in Tokyo and are perhaps unaware of the realities in Britain at the moment.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I didn't mention Eastern Europeans , another poster brought it into the debate with his comment about the remain majority in London , I was commenting on the likelihood of action being taken in the event of thousands of "refugees" turning up in Brighton or haywards heath, as an aside you only ever seem to respond with silly, facetious comments , I can't take you seriously without a serious response, but then again you're a long way away in Tokyo and are perhaps unaware of the realities in Britain at the moment.

Yes you've said that before. The good people of England are fighting back waves and waves of nasty foreign refugees. My mum can't even walk down the allotment without running into ISIS militants.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes you've said that before. The good people of England are fighting back waves and waves of nasty foreign refugees. My mum can't even walk down the allotment without running into ISIS militants.

As I thought , you've no idea how to respond with a coherent counter argument so you resort to silly replies in the vain hope it makes you look clever and above all that , I'd also bet a pound to a penny you've not got a clue what it's like for the area you grew up in to be subject to unprecedented levels of immigration.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I'd also bet a pound to a penny you've not got a clue what it's like for the area you grew up in to be subject to unprecedented levels of immigration.

You're right I haven't. But I can imagine the horror. I mean just imagine what it would be like if I looked out my front room window one morning to find that these evil *******s had moved in next door......

PAY-Syrian-Refugee.jpg

*shudder*

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Or you could also use the fact that white British are now a minority in London to come to another conclusion about the remain majority vote in London , yes ?

london.gif

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
You're right I haven't. But I can imagine the horror. I mean just imagine what it would be like if I looked out my front room window one morning to find that these evil *******s had moved in next door......

View attachment 79418

*shudder*

It's a tough question. The comfortable liberal position, for years, has been that immigration is good, multi-culturalism is good and that anybody who demurs is at best thick, and at worst racist.

Practically, however, there must be a point at which the country starts to first fill up, and then fragment. We are someway along that path.

I don’t know the tipping point for this country. I do know that Japan has close to zero interest in diluting it's own homogeneous society.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
It's a tough question. The comfortable liberal position, for years, has been that immigration is good, multi-culturalism is good and that anybody who demurs is at best thick, and at worst racist.

Practically, however, there must be a point at which the country starts to first fill up, and then fragment. We are someway along that path.

I don’t know the tipping point for this country. I do know that Japan has close to zero interest in diluting it's own homogeneous society.

Yeah but they've got huge problems on the horizon. The workforce is dwindling year after year. I recently read an interesting article on the subject.........

http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2016/06/07/japan-and-its-immigration-policies-are-growing-old/

It's kind of funny being a migrant from a xenophobic island nation, living in a xenophobic island nation.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Your point is ?

None really. I just thought I'd look up the demographic and post it. Given that no group crosses the 50% threshold, by definition, everyone is in 'a minority' in London. 60% is white, so the majority is white, albeit some of these are not British (Russian, Aussie? Who knows). On the other hand, lots of the non whites are British. I suppose if I had a point it would be that it would be more useful to know what proportion of Londoners considered themseves British. I would hope this would be a majority. The colour doesn't really interest me. Just watching a programme on he telly now showing that in the UK black Africans do better at school than black caribbeans. And whites. Strange. Cheers!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Presumably his point is that White British is 40% in London, i think that means "a minority in London".
I thought it was another silly post, I should've known better , hwt is a good poster.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Yeah but they've got huge problems on the horizon. The workforce is dwindling year after year. I recently read an interesting article on the subject.........

http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2016/06/07/japan-and-its-immigration-policies-are-growing-old/

It's kind of funny being a migrant from a xenophobic island nation, living in a xenophobic island nation.

Yup, my own view on Japan is that there is for now at least a popular concensus to prioritise maintaining a broadly homogenous society. Come what may.

I think the UK is entirely different. It has gone a long way down the multi-cultural road, quite successfully, but is now questionning how much further they should continue, and at what speed. That is a legitimate discussion in my view

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

View attachment 79418

*shudder*
Views like that have unfortunately strengthened right wing politics in this country. You are unwilling to contemplate that there may be some pitfalls in mass immigration and therefore resort to showing a poor refugee family in order to reinforce your self righteous attitude and pour contempt upon anyone who doesn't think like you. Those Syrian refugees need help, our help, the rest of the EU's help, the world's help and you do them a disservice by dragging them into an argument about the mass immigration that has happened already in our country which is almost entirely based upon economic betterment.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If anything this will show everyone what a shit state the EU borders are in. Secondly this shouldn't be used as an excuse to delay brexit. Whilst these people are also in France we have no legal obligation to take anyone.

Whilst they are in France with a British border force patrolling and checking vehicles, the majority remain in France. If the French adopt a less vigorous approach to the vehicles leaving, there will be many more in Britain, and once here, can make an asylum claim which we are obliged to look into.
Asylum will or won't be granted case by case, but whilst those applications are waiting those people will be our problem, will need to be fed, will need to be housed and have the right to appeal refusal, or the right to remain if there is a genuine threat to life.

This is not a situation I want, although I do believe we are not taking in as many refugees as we could or should. Perhaps when we are refusing EU citizens unqualified entry, we can take in more refugees.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Views like that have unfortunately strengthened right wing politics in this country. You are unwilling to contemplate that there may be some pitfalls in mass immigration and therefore resort to showing a poor refugee family in order to reinforce your self righteous attitude and pour contempt upon anyone who doesn't think like you. Those Syrian refugees need help, our help, the rest of the EU's help, the world's help and you do them a disservice by dragging them into an argument about the mass immigration that has happened already in our country which is almost entirely based upon economic betterment.

And yet without dragging Syrian refugees into the argument, we may have had a remain result.

NigelFarageBreakingPoint_large.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here