Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
The role of an MP is to represent the wishes of his constituency, I'm not sure about how that would result in banning the French etc but it has set MPs against the party line (e.g. Goldsmith). It's usually only in unique circumstances that an MP can gauge an attitude to a specific issue, for example closing a hospital. The referendum has given each MP a good idea of what their constituents decided, so you could argue that they will follow this.

The role of the MP is not to represent the wishes of his constituency but to review legislation and to represent local interests in Parliament at Westminster. In the House of Commons, MPs scrutinise legislation, attend debates and committees, and generally protect, advocate and promote the interests of their constituency at a national level. An MP represents all of their constituency whether they voted for that MP or not or for that matter whether constituents voted leave/or remain! Given that, if MP's consider leaving the EU is against the national interest and against the interests of all their constituents then that is their call. That is why we vote for them that is how our British system of government works.

larus

Better?? Crikey those rose tinted specs must be 8 inch thick.

I suppose my Rose-Tinted specs allow me to see things like :

Growth rate forecasts increase by .5% approx on average
Unemployment numbers still being good.
Growth being good (much better than the EU average BTW). Sorry, I know that's a really cheap shot.

Maybe you should deal in facts, rather than wanting to wallow in self-pity and denial.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Please explain how today was a day of democracy when a democratic vote decided we are to leave?

I am sure you don't really need it explaining but a key facet of the Leave campaign was Parliamentary sovereignty. Anyway, and I will only make the one point on this herein as opinions are so firmly entrenched it is largely a waste of time but given that the response to today highlights the fact that Brexit clearly means different things to different Brexiteers then surely it is nothing less than sensible for further discussion to take place anyway?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why was it a farce ? because the majority of those that voted have a different view than you, for many millions it was probably the most engaged and empowered voters have felt for generations, its the arrogance of people like you that now feel you have a genuine view to now renege on it, that caused a Brexit vote in the first instance.
Ah the ramblings of the most arrogant bloke on the board. Marvellous. :rolleyes:

I've already pointed out why it shouldn't have happened - you only have to read what I wrote. Naturally I was against it, but had my side won 52/48, you'd have heard similar arguments from Brexiters. Indeed Farage had stated it wasn't over it that had been the case.

And where will does it end? Shall we have a referendum on royalty? That is patently an unfair set up. Where's my referendum? What about the death penalty? Most people want that back too. In fact, why not just do away with parliament and just have referendums on everything?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I wonder what our EU partner nations make of us.

1. We join the EU in 1973 and then have a referendum 2 years later about whether we stay.
2. We then go through the Thatcher years - and we get a special rebate negotiated.
3. We send over UKIP MEPs who basically take the pi&&.
4. We then start the referendum chat all over again - mainly to keep the Tories from tearing each other apart.
5. We send over Cameron who gets some concessions.
6. We then have a referendum.
7. We vote to go out.
8. Nobody in power in our country has a clear idea on how to get out or what would happen if the vote was pro-Brexit
9. We then have an - unelected - PM who says she'll crack on with it ASAP.
10 We then have a government who are so ignorant of their own constitution that they don't get the procedure right.

And WE think they are a shambles?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ah the ramblings of the most arrogant bloke on the board. Marvellous. :rolleyes:

I've already pointed out why it shouldn't have happened - you only have to read what I wrote. Naturally I was against it, but had my side won 52/48, you'd have heard similar arguments from Brexiters. Indeed Farage had stated it wasn't over it that had been the case.

And where will does it end? Shall we have a referendum on royalty? That is patently an unfair set up. Where's my referendum? What about the death penalty? Most people want that back too. In fact, why not just do away with parliament and just have referendums on everything?

I didnt hear you once murmur anything about the idiocy of the referendum prior to its result, you are just pi**ing in the wind, why because you lost and it hurts you, thats the arrogance.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm not sure any of this is going to end well. I'm a staunch remainer, but, if MPs vote not to trigger Article 50, there will surely be one hell of a mess - UKIP government anyone?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I am sure you don't really need it explaining but a key facet of the Leave campaign was Parliamentary sovereignty. Anyway, and I will only make the one point on this herein as opinions are so firmly entrenched it is largely a waste of time but given that the response to today highlights the fact that Brexit clearly means different things to different Brexiteers then surely it is nothing less than sensible for further discussion to take place anyway?

The vote was on whether we leave the EU or to remain in it. Leave won and should be respected as such. Not sure what you find so difficult to understand about that?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

1. We join the EU in 1973 and then have a referendum 2 years later about whether we stay.
2. We then go through the Thatcher years - and we get a special rebate negotiated.
4. We then start the referendum chat all over again - mainly to keep the Tories from tearing each other apart.
7. We vote to go out.
8. Nobody in power in our country has a clear idea on how to get out or what would happen if the vote was pro-Brexit
10 We then have a government who are so ignorant of their own constitution that they don't get the procedure right.

You forgot that we have Boris as Foreign Secretary and Fox and Davis heading up Brexit negotiations, so we have our real A-Team on the case.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

7. We vote to go out.

They think money money money .................

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The vote was on whether we leave the EU or to remain in it. Leave won and should be respected as such. Not sure what you find so difficult to understand about that?

The two things (today's ruiling and the Brexit vote) aren't mutually exclusive.

You seem to think they are?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I don't find it difficult at all. But it isn't quite as simple to actually do is it. You don't just click "unsubscribe."

We have 2 years to prepare. You don't just U-turn on a democratic vote because it doesn't suit certain people.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not while we have FPTP.

if people voted in GE in the same pattern as they did for the referendum, under FPTP it would be a UKIP victory, with majority seats returning a kipper. but of course people vote on a range of issues and for their traditional party in GE, thats why they wont get many seats not the FPTP system.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Please explain how today was a day of democracy when a democratic vote decided we are to leave?

Because we have a parliamentary democracy, not a 'referendum democracy' so the non legally binding was, as has been mentioned many times before, advisory and not legally binding. This is why Cameron's self interest driven decision to hold the referendum was a terrible idea in the first place.

Now, if we consider the question itself - 'Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?', clearly 52% said no it should not. In which case, why is there any negotiation, we don't want to be part of any common market do we, we do want the abolition of free movement of labour don't we? I could keep going with a long list of item that this farcical government has inferred from the vote but all was actually know is that 52% answered no to the question above. So, of course, parliament should be debating this.

Obviously, this is going to rumble on for years. I cannot believe even this government will vote to invoke article 50 before we have any clue about how to actually make Brexit happen. It's been a complete farce from start to finish and still some people think the Tories are a competent govt.

David *******g Cameron, no PM can have left such an awful legacy,

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
We have 2 years to prepare. You don't just U-turn on a democratic vote because it doesn't suit certain people.

Ok. Like I said, I am not getting heavily involved here. Maybe they should have checked they could actually do what you want before calling the referendum. I do agree with you though, although I certainly didn't support Brexit, that it now has to happen. I am simply saying that the actual terms require discussion. I am quite sure, for example, that you, like me, have no idea what assurances have been given to Nissan and how they impact what you believe you voted for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here