Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This referendum happened because people wanted it , labour promised it and then reneged , the tories promised it and didnt , neither side would have promised it if there wasn't an appetite for it , and the vote would have gone the other way if Cameron had come back with anything meaningful.

Neither party should have promised a referendum - that's not how decisions are made in a parliamentary democracy, and that campaign showed exactly why not. Lies and mistruths on both sides, it was a farce. What's more, nobody really knows what Brexit they were voting for. And then there is the glossed over issue where an ill-informed snap-shot of the electorate gets to make decisions that will affect the country for half a century. That just doesn't seem right, especially where there is such an even split among the popular vote.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What would you like, one general election and then that government stays in power forever, even when they're all dead, along with all the people that voted for them?

I dont think I ever said that and I am not sure what you are talking about.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I expect labour would be whipped on the basis of 'we do not think that this deal is good enough, try again.' rather than a fundamental vote against triggering A50.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
So you are saying that it IS the role of parliament to do exactly what constituents want? How would this work? Would we have loads of opinion polls and instruct MPs to just rubber stamp the results?

Blimey. This could see parliament banning Frenchmen, shooting paedophiles and cutting income tax. Are you sure you aren't the one who is misunderstanding the role of parliament?

Yes, that is exactly the role of an MP.

We vote them in, one, based on their parties stance and second as to what they say when they are out at election time. Thirdly, of course we don't have opinion polls on every subject, MPs get endless emails and letters from their constituents. This tells them what the people (who bother with politics) are asking of them.

What's wrong with banning Frenchmen? Parliament does not set government policy. So if the people want to shoot paedos' and cut income tax, MPs can't do it. But they can ask at question time during the relevant period in parliament, if they feel there is enough of a problem and demand within their constituency. ie: PMQs or minister questions.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
A democratic vote took place on whether we leave the EU. Leave won and the result should be respected. All of this "moving the goalposts" afterwards is laughable and if it had been the other way around the leavers would have been ridiculed for asking for second vote and changing the rules after the result.

Seems some believe in a democracy when it suits them.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Neither party should have promised a referendum - that's not how decisions are made in a parliamentary democracy, and that campaign showed exactly why not. Lies and mistruths on both sides, it was a farce. What's more, nobody really knows what Brexit they were voting for. And then there is the glossed over issue where an ill-informed snap-shot of the electorate gets to make decisions that will affect the country for half a century. That just doesn't seem right, especially where there is such an even split among the popular vote.

Why was it a farce ? because the majority of those that voted have a different view than you, for many millions it was probably the most engaged and empowered voters have felt for generations, its the arrogance of people like you that now feel you have a genuine view to now renege on it, that caused a Brexit vote in the first instance.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I believe a number of other Brexiteers could also live with a reformed EU. I really do think there's a golden opportunity here for the UK to put itself in a fantastic position at the heart of a reformed U.K. which will work or the vast majority of Brits.

I have never bought the idea the EU can't be changed. I've never bought the idea the UK can't change it either. Two world wars and the inability to change some EU blokes in suits doesn't add up.

Maybe wishful thinking but I feel optimistic.
On the surface, I sympathise with your sentiments. However I think the gravy train way of life is so entrenched in the EU, that this will never happen. If only someone could make a common market or something.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Regardless - that is how the system works. The system that Brexiters wanted to give MORE power to. The irony of this situation is astounding.

I see no irony at all. Just a parliament that is massively in disagreement on the subject of the EU with the people they represent.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Interesting but I have no idea where you deduce that from. Today was a result for democracy, not blinkered leadership.

It was fun not being here for a while, I think I'll try it again.

Please explain how today was a day of democracy when a democratic vote decided we are to leave?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Interesting but I have no idea where you deduce that from. Today was a result for democracy, not blinkered leadership.

It was fun not being here for a while, I think I'll try it again.
You want 'everyone to flatline into submission to the EU.'

That's pretty self explanatory.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What's wrong with banning Frenchmen? Parliament does not set government policy. So if the people want to shoot paedos' and cut income tax, MPs can't do it. But they can ask at question time during the relevant period in parliament, if they feel there is enough of a problem and demand within their constituency. ie: PMQs or minister questions.

not quite, its called the Finance Bill and has to be passed every year for income tax to be legally collected. and the same goes for all primary legislation, the MPs have to vote on it, though most law contains within it clauses to allow the relevant minister the powers to amend or bring in secondary legislation, and its through such clauses they gain royal prerogative (as the original legislation is passed and given royal assent). didnt do this with the referendum act, it was sadly just a large, expensive opinion poll. a cynic might wonder if this was accident as they didn't think they lose, or deliberate in case they lost...

if MPs pass law to ban Frenchmen, we can ban them regardless of future governments policy on the matter, unless they seek to change the law (though they may chose to not enforce law as happens with so many old pieces). members can raise legislation too, though the government controls parliamentary time so few get through

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yes, that is exactly the role of an MP.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding of our democratic system. We have a representative democracy not a radical democracy. Edmund Burke and Tom Paine were arguing about the benefits of each two hundred years ago, but in our system a constituency elects a representative who is tasked with using their best judgement, not following the will of the majority.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Has anyone seen the Pringles? Or did they get finished? I can always nip out for some more?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here