Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brentford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
We're not hungry enough under RDZ (better at 2-0 though). Too slow. Players don't look as happy as before. Spending ages on the training field learning how to beat a press of 1 won't work in this league De Zerbi. You've got to be incisive. Don't be a football puriton.

Welbeck, Trossard and Gross have been really poor in the last 2 games. No drama losing to SPurs and Brentford but the manner has been really deflating. Haven't felt good about us since last week.

RBZ needs to raise his expectations or we will drift badly this season. We need a positive result in the week. I don't feel confident right now!

Oh Potter you bloody twat going to Chelsea.
Nail on head

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Some promising play at times, just need to move it quicker, shoot more often and be a little more clinical And aggressiv. Reminiscent of some of Potters games in the last few seasons.
Brentford did a lot of time wasting and play acting tonight, not a good game to watch.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Disappointing to lose obviously, but like Fulham, that is a tough place to go and they were always going to react after the Newcastle game. Lots of teams will lose there this season, including massive spending Man Utd 4.0.

Some promising passages of play and build up but clearly RDZ is still working on them. I think now he needs to do away with the Potter formula and start with his preferred 4 at the back with an extra man in the middle - Lallana or Gilmour in for Gross. We need an extra man in there to be able to play through the lines centrally as he likes.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Hard when it’s just so obvious that we’ve been tactically done over again.

Played perfectly into their hands on all fronts. like a classic Brighton performance except we showed a little more endeavour.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
1) the ref bought everything they were selling
2) Canos is a c u next tuesday
3) despite 1 and 2, with that much possession and all those chances we only have ourselves to blame

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
16 shots to 6 lol
How many meaningful shots though? Few to none. We’ve had shots because they’ve allowed us possession, confident they can block us and attack at speed.
Those 16 shots are not an indicator of domination, nor is 70% possession.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Too slow.
Too tippy tappy.
Too many players with their back to Brentfords goal.
Too many side passes.
Too little imagination.
Too many corners wasted (when did we last score from a corner?).
Too much like it used to be when we were relegation fodder (I'm not saying we're gonna be relegated but the style was reminiscent)
Too many whistles from the Ref.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Shows how little I know about football.

In early September I saw Caicedo, Trossard and Mac Allister as each being £70m footballers who seemlessly slot into any midfield first team, no matter the level and churn out 30+ great performances a season. I envisaged Boehly-Potter pinching the lot.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Final whistle, thank F for that.

It's probably just as well we didn't pull one back late, or it would make it look like we weren't as shit as we were.
Albion have won a lot of their away games not playing as well as they did tonight.

The fact is they defended very well and their keeper was there when needed.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Maybe if we get a giant flag of our manager results will pick up?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hard when it’s just so obvious that we’ve been tactically done over again.

Played perfectly into their hands on all fronts. like a classic Brighton performance except we showed a little more endeavour.
It was all very predictable. . . . Tom's 2 years aheab of Bob on PL nous

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think I believed at any point we would score. The moment we went behind it seemed to me that the game was over as a contest. Welbeck would have been fine with not scoring while we were winning. Drawing and losing, the last couple of games seems to be hitting his confidence.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I am usually very much a glass half full type of fan,but will admit that today was just hard to watch. I don't think we were horrific overall, just our finishing was pretty damn terrible. You learn to shoot away from the GK the first damn time you play; I can't for the life of me understand how we continued to shoot at Raya time after time after time. We have to work on that in training, or we will never be successful under RDZ.

On to Forest now, where we simply need to get a win to get some confidence back, especially with the fixtures we have after it.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Hardly a disaster. This transitional period was never going to be easy.

Just hope Steve Cooper doesn't give us an early Halloween horror! :devilish:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Not really sure what all the negativity is about, aside from those with delusions of grandeur from the beginning of the season.

I was a huge Potter doubter for a long time. It took 3 seasons for him to convince me. We’ve lost him - how can anyone expect us to go and get a better (or even like for like) manager from the get go?

De Zerbi is playing the kind of football this team are used to and skilled at playing. I actually enjoyed the game hugely - seeing us basically on the ball for 90 minutes. I disagree that we’re slow. We zipped it around really quickly at times. Reminded me of life under Poyet - clearly superior to Brentford, but just wasn’t working for us today.

Our downfall is that to play like De Zerbi, Potter and Pep play, you have to have midfielders who can score. March, Lallana and Gross are not those kind of midfielders. At all. We need an upgrade.

Plus corners still continue to be my biggest frustration, a hangover from the Potter era. You can’t have as many corners as we do and do absolutely nothing with them. I don’t get excited at corners because I know it won’t result in anything of any worth.

On the plus side I am still encouraged. The team haven’t lost their identity - continuity is good. Caicedo is fantastic and means I don’t miss Bissouma at all. Onwards and upwards. Here’s hoping for De Zerbi’s first 3 points against Forest.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
To be honest, it may not comfort many but we were still the better side, they just had a clinical striker where's our shots were all within their keeper's reach. We were still miles off it though compared to our best performances and agree with the comments about tiredness, I think RDZ is potentially overworking the players on the training field as in all our matches thus far we've shown periods of lethargy.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
1) the ref bought everything they were selling
2) Canos is a c u next tuesday
3) despite 1 and 2, with that much possession and all those chances we only have ourselves to blame
3) for me, rest is all excuses when we look at in cold light of tomorrow morning. Still, we’ve had a good start on avoiding relegation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here