Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
How many are first choice only 1 guaranteed Bong. LR is virtually for away games but the rest are just squad bench players.

This was in reply to post 416 which I forgot to quote

You haven't really explained.it though. The post you responded to said 7 first team match day.squad, that means within the 18. You're first post on this as I've quoted here says only Bong.would be a.guaranteed.starter.yet the.post you replied to had.referred.to squad, not starting 11 anyway

D

Deleted member 22389

Really don't think it is going to get any worse injury wise. We just need to get behind the team for the full 90 against ipswich.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if I come across as a misguided bumblefart but I thought that was a good result today. Reminded me a touch of a game at Watford, away, under Poyet ages ago, when 90% of teams wouldn't have had the resilience and physicality to plunder any points. Took kahunas today. Greer is a grizzly bear in these scenarios so I fear if he doesn't play against a Mick Mc team likely to comprise metal-headed barbarians. Manu needs to stop flailing and dodging headers. I get that we were putting a man on the byline to avoid inswingers but casualness gave them too many short corners. With the injury list you have to applaud CH. The missing attacking options grew long shadows across the park today. Bet LuaLua is clubbing in Toontown.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Neither Lua Lua or March were certain starters pre injury and either Greer or Huinemier would start Baldock over Wilson not sure so we are back to 3 definites and possibly a 4th but it suits the purpose to blame injuries rather than tackle the problem that we have gone off the boil and over achieved.

We've gone off the boil because of the injuries. We are now missing 7 of our strongest match day 18. Bong, Greer, Rosenior, Lua Lua and March would all have extremely strong cases to start (although only one of Rosenior and March would actually start). There's not too much to choose from between Hunemeier and Dunk. The only one that probably can't claim a starting place now is Baldock due to the arrival of Wilson.

Regardless of how many of them would be guaranteed a starting place each week the team has suffered because we have no options of first team quality to either come off the bench or into the team if we want to make a formation or tactical shuffle. The knock on effect is that the same players are being used over and over and are clearly beginning to tire. They are all probably close to their physical limit and if we don't get players back or in I would not be surprised to see more players go down injured.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I have explained that 7 Squad 3 or 4 starters only

You stated that only Bong was a certain starter.

Both Lua Lua were first names on the team sheet before their injuries. The fact that they haven't always been, in the past, is not relevant - they were in the form of their lives and undroppable.

Your memory appears to be faltering...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Neither Lua Lua or March were certain starters pre injury and either Greer or Huinemier would start Baldock over Wilson not sure so we are back to 3 definites and possibly a 4th but it suits the purpose to blame injuries rather than tackle the problem that we have gone off the boil and over achieved.

Both Lua Lua and March were regular starters prior to their injuries, you could argue March was only starting due to others being injured but he was certainly starting regularly just before he was injured. In the case of Lua Lua I think the only league game he'd missed prior to his injury was when he got suspended so he was certainly a first team starter.

Bong, Rosenior, Lua Lua and Baldock (had Baldock not got injured we might not have gone for Wilson) were all starters prior to injury. March became a starter due to others being injured. Greer if long term injured is another starter. Uwe is in the 18 if fit. So that's 6 possibly 7 players that would be part of the match day squad at the very least currently injured, 4 (or 5 depending on Greer) are starters in most games they've played this season. A huge loss for any team at this level.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Both Lua Lua and March were regular starters prior to their injuries, you could argue March was only starting due to others being injured but he was certainly starting regularly just before he was injured. In the case of Lua Lua I think the only league game he'd missed prior to his injury was when he got suspended so he was certainly a first team starter.

Bong, Rosenior, Lua Lua and Baldock (had Baldock not got injured we might not have gone for Wilson) were all starters prior to injury. March became a starter due to others being injured. Greer if long term injured is another starter. Uwe is in the 18 if fit. So that's 6 possibly 7 players that would be part of the match day squad at the very least currently injured, 4 (or 5 depending on Greer) are starters in most games they've played this season. A huge loss for any team at this level.

And even now BG has readjusted to '3 or 4 starters' this represents one third of the team, and some of our highest performers - which would affect anyone.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'm not interested in hearing about injuries. We put a team out on the pitch, and that team got a 0-0 draw because we are incapable of scoring the necessary amount of goals to go from being a well organised and well drilled team to being a Championship winning team. But that's not really a criticism because a year ago we would have been happy to maintain our status in the Championship, we were a shambles and badly struggling to pick up any points of any kind. Now we're bang in the top 6, competing in every game (including last week, we were well in the game, even at 2-0 down) and despite struggling for players, we're going away to other top 8 teams and we're picking up points.

Today isn't the result we wanted, but it's another point toward the target. We do need to strengthen in January, of course, and I'm sure that we will. Brian Clough once brilliantly said that the competition he cared most about was the League, because you had to have every aspect of football management about you to win it, end quote. In my opinion, he was referring to being able to build the squad in the first place but then manage injuries, replenish the squad when you can and keep the club ticking over. Hughton won the league with Newcastle, whatever you think about their squad and how difficult the task was - Hughton did it once and I can't imagine that either Bloom or Barber have any reservations whatsoever about spending the money on the players Hughton says he needs.

Up the Albion.

Absolutely agree with this. It really is a measure of how far we've come that we're all disappointed with a draw today.

Strengthen in January with a striker, a left back to get us through to March (Ridgewell sounds perfect) and perhaps a CB IF Greer/Uwe won't be fit for a while, and we'll be back being a force.

Two negatives from me today but frustrated by Tomer and Murphy. Neither shoot with accuracy or conviction but get themselves in great positions.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The most intriguing part of this thread is the fact people seem surprised that BensGrandad is completely and utterly clueless.

The fact that after nearly 50,000 posts people still haven't figured out he's a shit-spouting moron is almost as impressive as the fact he's spent a lifetime watching football and still somehow knows f*ck all about it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The apologists keep coming up with nonsense that we've got a lot of long term injuries, no one expected us to be near the top of the table, other clubs have bigger budgets and we're unbeaten away from the Amex since April.

However if you IGNORE all that nonsense we should be top two, and the FACT that we are not suggests to me that Hughton has lost the dressing room and should do the honourable thing and GO NOW.

We've gone from first to fourth in a three weeks, carry on with that rate of fall down the table and we will be relegated with a month to go.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Ince and Manu got injured would that be 2 more 1st choice?

How many matches have they started this season? Or even how many brief substitute appearances for that matter?

They may be in the match day squad (at least when that squad is depleted with injuries), but first teamers they ain't.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Exactly. So we wouldn't add them to our list of first teamers missing through injury if they got crocked then, would we.

On the other hand, we are missing Bong, Rosenior, Greer, Hunneneier, Baldock, Lua Lua, Baldock and March, all regular first team starters when fit, through their injuries. That constitutes an injury problem, which we're doing very well to struggle with.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The apologists keep coming up with nonsense that we've got a lot of long term injuries, no one expected us to be near the top of the table, other clubs have bigger budgets and we're unbeaten away from the Amex since April.

However if you IGNORE all that nonsense we should be top two, and the FACT that we are not suggests to me that Hughton has lost the dressing room and should do the honourable thing and GO NOW.

We've gone from first to fourth in a three weeks, carry on with that rate of fall down the table and we will be relegated with a month to go.

We must only be a win short of last year's points tally. I'm guessing a few more homer referee decisions and we can all look forward to meaningless matches by March....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here