Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford sack Warburton!!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Do you really think he would have hung around while we were still in the Championship and he had other offers dangling in front of his eyes? Regardless of what we offered him to stay? This is a man who once made flattering eyes at Leeds bloody United, when they were lower placed in the league than us. His relationship with the club was already fractious long before the play offs, hence his pre-Palace (the 3-0 home win) tantrum.

I don't think he'd have stayed even if we paid him two million quid a year.

I completely agree, Gus has a huge ego and wanted to manage in the Premiership with or without us to take him one step closer to his Chelsea 'dream' is my take on it. (You can't really blame him for wanting to manage at a higher level but what I'm saying is I think he'd had just about enough and wouldn't have stayed even if we offered him the highest budget in the league)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think bringing Burke & Barber in, had a fair bit to do with his relationship being fractious.

Nah, he already thought he had done his apprenticeship and was gagging for a Premier League job, he was practically throwing himself at every job going.
Totally the right time for him and us. Although it could have been handled so much classier by both sides.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think bringing Burke & Barber in, had a fair bit to do with his relationship being fractious.
Tony was never going to hand all the family silver over to Gus, or any manager.

All the time we were in the Championship Gus would have had itchy feet.
Which is fine, he's comparatively young, and new to the job, why shouldn't he aspire to be the best.

That and obvious failings are the price you pay for employing a 'new, young managers'.

Hopefully CH has a bit more 'been there done that' about him so has the patience to build his empire.

Jimmy Grimble

Well, yes and no. They're supposedly very well run indeed, with a very strong recruitment policy which is good at targeting the sort of guys who will fit perfectly into their ethos and system. They were already going well under Uwe Rosler when Warburton came in, and- admittedly to the surprise of many- continued and improved upon their form.

Their chairman is a sort of Tony Bloom type in many ways. British, lifelong fan, even works in the same industry (think he's actually a competitor of Bloom's). He's not some fly-by-night Middle Eastern or Thai investor who wants to make money quick with no appreciation of the role his club plays in the local area. I'd be gobsmacked if this turns out to have any substance to it. Amazing. Warburton has done an excellent job there.

I thought Warburton was Rosler No 2 ?.... and like Poyet when at Leeds with Wise, largely credited for there side and play....

That was my understanding too. Warburton has been at the heart of everything that's given Brentford success over the last few years.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems to be happening all the time now.
Reading clearly had Clarke lined up prior to Adkins getting the boot and the same scenario at Forest re Pearce and Freedman. Paco Jemez...sound more like a brand of sherry than a football manager!

But those tweets say absolutely nothing to discredit the story. Nobody from Brentford has been to Spain or spoken with Jemez. No surprise as they have probably employed an agent to sound him out. Or,they have used a phone to speak to Jemez's agent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Wasn't there widespread outrage when Southampton kicked out Adkins and replaced him with Pochettino?

Nigel Adkins, the manager who guided Southampton to back-to-back promotions, who has not suffered defeat in five Premier League games and who masterminded a draw at the home of the European champions three days ago, was sacked on Friday and replaced.

Pochettino must convince fans enraged by Cortese’s defenestration of Adkins. Some supporters have indicated they will boycott Monday’s Premier League home game against Everton, although the likelihood is that they will turn up and express their anger at Cortese.

from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Mauricio-Pochettino-steps-in-as-manager.html

It didn't turn out that bad in the end, did it?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Do you really think he would have hung around while we were still in the Championship and he had other offers dangling in front of his eyes? Regardless of what we offered him to stay? This is a man who once made flattering eyes at Leeds bloody United, when they were lower placed in the league than us. His relationship with the club was already fractious long before the play offs, hence his pre-Palace (the 3-0 home win) tantrum.

I don't think he'd have stayed even if we paid him two million quid a year.

He would have stayed if we'd back him, I'm sure of it. He wanted more money for the playing squad. Instead of being trusted to bring in his own men - a system that so far had faired well for us (promotion/play offs) we bought in Burke & Barber. Don't bring in those two lemons and let the manager build the team. That's what we should have done. Too late now of course, it may be a very long time before we're back challenging at the top of the Championship.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tony spent up to the limit of what he was prepared to lose under Poyet, so other than saying "there's no more money but we're begging you to stay", there weren't many 'fighting harder' options.
Gus didn't resign, he was sacked, so not sacking him would have been a 'fighting harder' to keep him option.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He would have stayed if we'd back him, I'm sure of it. He wanted more money for the playing squad. Instead of being trusted to bring in his own men - a system that so far had faired well for us (promotion/play offs) we bought in Burke & Barber. Don't bring in those two lemons and let the manager build the team. That's what we should have done. Too late now of course, it may be a very long time before we're back challenging at the top of the Championship.

Whose money? Where was that supposed to come from? Simply throwing money at a manager who demands it is straight out of the the Harry Redknapp School of Management. I realise a lot of people assume Tony Bloom has bottomless pockets, but really, should he be expected to throw more and more of his fortune at this club? He's never claimed to be Roman Abramovich, or the Abu Dhabi ruling family. He wants the club to be a bit more self-sustaining, and fair enough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whose money? Where was that supposed to come from? Simply throwing money at a manager who demands it is straight out of the the Harry Redknapp School of Management. I realise a lot of people assume Tony Bloom has bottomless pockets, but really, should he be expected to throw more and more of his fortune at this club? He's never claimed to be Roman Abramovich, or the Abu Dhabi ruling family. He wants the club to be a bit more self-sustaining, and fair enough.

Yet, he's told us two years running, that the playing budget is as high as it's ever been. It's obviously been wasted, but the money has been forthcoming.

As for Gus having itchy feet, two clubs in just over five years is quite stable.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Tony spent up to the limit of what he was prepared to lose under Poyet, so other than saying "there's no more money but we're begging you to stay", there weren't many 'fighting harder' options.

You're a roll of the dice away from making the Premiership.

Do you:
A) Give the currently hugely popular and successful manager backing to bring in a face or two he believes will see us over the line.
B) Spend the money on Burke and Barber, the former taking away the managers ability to sign the players he wants, and the later whom already has a prickly relationship with the manager,

I'm not surprised Poyet was ****ed off.

Huge fan of Tony Bloom and everything he's done for the club, but he shouldn't be beyond criticism and fair debate. I believe we/he got it wrong over Gus.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I'm not talking about spending Roman Abramovich type money here. Look at Burnley's shrewd signing of Barnes - not a bank buster and exactly what they needed. He should have taken the gamble and I think deep down you know it,

Barber and Burke didn't come cheap. Don't appoint people to handle player acquisition - Let the manager manage.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Completely agree - that season we spent WAY over the FFP limit that came in the following season. Gus knew, Tony knew, everyone in the club knew that once we lost that fateful match to Palace, with FFP in place, we needed to cut the costs, not increase them further.

That has to be the reason behind Poyet's 'hit the ceiling' comment, he knew that he'd had a big chance with a expensive, talented squad, and there was no money in the kitty to strengthen further, rather the opposite.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet, he's told us two years running, that the playing budget is as high as it's ever been. It's obviously been wasted, but the money has been forthcoming.

As for Gus having itchy feet, two clubs in just over five years is quite stable.
But players wages have risen in that time, so the budget would have had to increase just to stay still.

I doubt what Tony calls the highest budget ever, and what Gus wanted the highest budget ever to be, are even close to being the same number.

You're right 2 clubs in 5 years is in fact very stable.
But crucially one of those clubs is in the Premier League.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You're a roll of the dice away from making the Premiership.

Do you:
A) Give the currently hugely popular and successful manager backing to bring in a face or two he believes will see us over the line.
B) Spend the money on Burke and Barber, the former taking away the managers ability to sign the players he wants, and the later whom already has a prickly relationship with the manager,

I'm not surprised Poyet was ****ed off.

Huge fan of Tony Bloom and everything he's done for the club, but he shouldn't be beyond criticism and fair debate. I believe we/he got it wrong over Gus.
Easy to say as its not my money but I'm convinced Virgil Van Dijk would of got us over the finish line, fantastic player and had we not gone up his value would of been around £8-10m.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I think the start of Poyet believing we'd hit the ceiling was with Virgil V D. He wanted him desperately and went over to Holland to see him play. When he was told that he could only spend £2M and the required fee was 5M Euros I'm sure that kicked it off. In Poyet's view that was the player we needed to get us promoted and the club didn't back him. From that point on he was always leaving us.

Maybe we would have got promotion, maybe not, but the point was that the club didn't back the manager's judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here