Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brazen shoplifting in Co Op Hove seafront

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I didn’t know his name - I heard the story from a chap who sits next to me at the Amex when we got talking about Brighton logos on stuff .
hipster GIF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its not a case of 'I'm poor so i steal', lots of poor people don't steal and certainly not all theft is done by poor people, neither should they need to put their own security in place they need the police and courts to do the job properly.
If it's easy to walk into a shop and browse around while stealing, and then walk out with no consequences, then people will do it. The large chains can employ security to limit this. You can't expect a police officer to stand on the shop door for free, and they're hardly going door-to-door to catch someone for stealing a bottle of alcohol.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If it's easy to walk into a shop and browse around while stealing, and then walk out with no consequences, then people will do it. The large chains can employ security to limit this. You can't expect a police officer to stand on the shop door for free, and they're hardly going door-to-door to catch someone for stealing a bottle of alcohol.
it is too easy because the police are ineffective and the punishment is not enough of a deterrent. The thing is a lot of these people are repeat offenders ,often but not always to feed a habit, get them off the streets and crime goes down significantly. We have become too tolerant of poor standards and before anyone accuses me of being a right wing extremists I can assure you I am not . I am left of centre and see crime (and the Tories) as a threat to the majority of people.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
About 20 years ago, I drank fairly regularly in a pub, that was just outside a large Thames Valley town. Shoplifters made a beeline for this place. One lad used to jump on the train, visit Basingstoke every saturday, steal a bicycle and return to the pub. The Landlord would offer up cash and keep these bikes in his cellar. The cleaner told me that he had about 20 at any given time, selling to regulars. I saw women coming in with whole racks of clothing from well known department stores. One night, a lad came in carrying about 6-8 video recorders. They were gone in less than 5 minutes. I saw a couple one night, she carrying boxes of chocolates, him about 6 bottles of champagne. Perfume, watches and jewelry were pedalled constantly.
It was so often you just got used to it. I refused every time. Locals used to say to me..." the big stores can afford it ".....I used to reply....." Yep...because we are all paying for it, through higher prices "
It was shameless stealing and made worse by most of the locals who lapped it up. Some of it was stolen to order. The Landlord was a fence and made no secret of it. I drank there because I knew some guys who frequented it but eventually it just became too distasteful, too tawdry and I took my custom elsewhere.
( This was well before the influx of certain Eastern Europeans, who now dominate this town and many others. So....god knows what it is like now!!! )
Until people report these things then they will continue though agree I might be reticent given the ineptness of the police and judiciary.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
it is too easy because the police are ineffective and the punishment is not enough of a deterrent.

The punishment is dictated by governments, not the police. And are we seeing this same level of theft from all shops, or are we particularly seeing more of it from that one shop? It appears to be the latter, which suggests that other shops have found a better way to prevent it.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The punishment is dictated by governments, not the police. And are we seeing this same level of theft from all shops, or are we particularly seeing more of it from that one shop? It appears to be the latter, which suggests that other shops have found a better way to prevent it.
As said its not just the police its the whole judicial system, neither are helping to solve the problem sand nor is the attitude 'its only a bottle of alcohol'

I think you will find other shops have problems as well
https://news.sky.com/story/tesco-staff-offered-body-cameras-following-rise-in-assaults-12953829.

Time to get tough IMO.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yep, security guards.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that this is a combination of a lack of Police and a legal/penal system that has been financially cut to the bone in combination with a lot of desperate people with little hope. Its a " Perfect Storm " which isnt going away until there is a major rethink of how we go forward as a society.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
in response to attacks on staff, not shopplifting. shoplifters respond to likelihood of being seen and stopped in the act. police and courts are an afterthought. you need better security to deter them. we could have police on every shop entrance but think we can all agree that might not be best use of them.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I agree with your dismay. I think here the best course of action is to raise it with your councillor and with the council housing officer. Explain the whys and where.
Read this several times before I realised you really did say 'raise it with your councillor and with the council housing officer'. Go on then, what do you expect them to say (taking it for granted they would DO FA)?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
in response to attacks on staff, not shopplifting. shoplifters respond to likelihood of being seen and stopped in the act. police and courts are an afterthought. you need better security to deter them. we could have police on every shop entrance but think we can all agree that might not be best use of them.
The staff are being attacked often because they challenge the shop lifters .

I agree the police could be used for other things but they are getting less efficient in dealing with crime and that's partly due to an inefficient judiciary process - they waste time catching people only for them to walk free.

Regards security , yes its a 'solution' but what about other crimes often committed by the same people e.g. bike theft or burglary should we all start employing our own security or should we expect our police to be at the fore front of protecting us and society and by extension that means the shops that 'decent' ordinary people go to to shop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here