Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brazen shoplifting in Co Op Hove seafront

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Read this several times before I realised you really did say 'raise it with your councillor and with the council housing officer'. Go on then, what do you expect them to say (taking it for granted they would DO FA)?
Nothing that's what they'll do.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I hate shoplifters. When I grew up a shop keeper would call the police if you had stole a penny chew. The police would prosecute if the owner insisted.
I have a friend who works at Aldi and they have a massive problem especially in the Brighton stores.
The police and store go on a £200 limit. If they catch you with less than that value you'll just get the goods taken away from you and not even a caution. I think it disgraceful but the police have have been obliterated by government cuts so they just don't have the resources anymore.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Nothing at all, dear.

There is a shop lifting epidemic in this country not "just a co-op and, urgh, the people they attract" issue. M&S near Churchill Sq has a problem too.
When they do it at Waitrose it's called shop fraud.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Let's hope it doesn't get the US especially the west coast !

It's now pretty much illegal for shop workers to approach thieves. There's more robbers than actual customers and it's so bad in San Fran that half the shops have had to shut, including whole foods which is like an even more upmarket version of Waitrose.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

It's now pretty much illegal for shop workers to approach thieves. There's more robbers than actual customers and it's so bad in San Fran that half the shops have had to shut, including whole foods which is like an even more upmarket version of Waitrose.

I've got relatives in San Francisco and I believe that is more with protecting the staff. Some stores were expecting their normal retail staff to step in and confront thieves, even if the thieves were armed. (My niece worked, briefly, in such a place). The people behind this want retail staff to deal with the genuine customers, and security staff to deal with the thieves.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I've got relatives in San Francisco and I believe that is more with protecting the staff. Some stores were expecting their normal retail staff to step in and confront thieves, even if the thieves were armed. (My niece worked, briefly, in such a place). The people behind this want retail staff to deal with the genuine customers, and security staff to deal with the thieves.
Agreed but does highlight how depressingly bad and dangerous it is in some states now. I was walking around Beverly hills during the day in April and I didn't even feel safe there !

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
What would a security guard, to cover all hours of opening cost them, I wonder? They're open 7am - 10pm every day (according to the web) so 105 hours a week. Around £2,000 per week?

I guess they've done all their sums and decided that its cheaper to tolerate stock loss through shoplifting :shrug:
In the past they have had a security guard at that Co-Op; he was a little old bloke who could do nothing when two blokes, very much English geezers, picked up a pallet each of tinned gin and tonics and walked out. Apparently they went along the beach selling them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Not sure about that commentary. The article says:

The California bill, if enacted in law, would require employers to provide active-shooter training to workers, keep a log of any violent incidents, and allow companies to apply for workplace violence restraining orders.

SB 553 is not targeted at—and does not affect—trained security guards. In fact, the bill highlights the need for dedicated safety personnel.

For some reason the picture accompanying it is of an incident in 2020 that Newsweek puts down to "a BLM protestor" which is quite different to every day shoplifting. The cause of every day shoplifting, certainly in downtown SF is an out of control Fentanyl addiction issue.

So, to sum up, they're asking ordinary people behind the counter not to take on armed robbers, protestors and drug addicts. Instead, this should be done by trained security personnel - who presumably big business don't want to employ.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agreed but does highlight how depressingly bad and dangerous it is in some states now. I was walking around Beverly hills during the day in April and I didn't even feel safe there !

Brag Tv Land GIF by YoungerTV

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Number 37 in a series that's depressingly likely to be never ending. 'Highlights' include an enquiry as to the relative earning power in Investment Banking, several references to attending the England Euros Final at Wembley, paying 60 notes for a coffee and croissants in Ibiza and having a box arranged at Ajax.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Number 37 in a series that's depressingly likely to be never ending. 'Highlights' include an enquiry as to the relative earning power in Investment Banking, several references to attending the England Euros Final at Wembley, paying 60 notes for a coffee and croissants in Ibiza and having a box arranged at Ajax.
Come on GB, you’re better than that, you’re getting personal and there’s no need for that 👍

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Lots of people are moving out to Europe , England & Monaco being very popular

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Not sure about that commentary. The article says:

The California bill, if enacted in law, would require employers to provide active-shooter training to workers, keep a log of any violent incidents, and allow companies to apply for workplace violence restraining orders.

SB 553 is not targeted at—and does not affect—trained security guards. In fact, the bill highlights the need for dedicated safety personnel.

For some reason the picture accompanying it is of an incident in 2020 that Newsweek puts down to "a BLM protestor" which is quite different to every day shoplifting. The cause of every day shoplifting, certainly in downtown SF is an out of control Fentanyl addiction issue.

So, to sum up, they're asking ordinary people behind the counter not to take on armed robbers, protestors and drug addicts. Instead, this should be done by trained security personnel - who presumably big business don't want to employ.
Not disagreeing with anything you say.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008

When I lived in the States I remember a store called Target, a sort of upmarket Walmart, had a huge shoplifting problem. I was in their store in Harlem and shoppers were brazenly walking out with unpaid for goods. Nobody approached them so I assume they had a similar policy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here