Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Braking news - Donatello in trouble

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quick question to everyone saying it's their own fault for employing overseas staff.
How many on here would work long shifts or even any shifts finishing at 23:00 for £9.50 an hour?
If you say yes give me a call because I couldn't find any last summer and will be the same next summer.
According to @Crawley Dingo , all you need to do is increase the wages until the workers drop what they’re doing and start knocking on your door.

Shame Liz Truss has gone, there was definitely a job in her chancellery for Dingo.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
According to @Crawley Dingo , all you need to do is increase the wages until the workers drop what they’re doing and start knocking on your door.

Shame Liz Truss has gone, there was definitely a job in her chancellery for Dingo.

So you feel that businesses shouldn’t have any responsibility to pay their employees an amount they can reasonably live on?

You feel that we as taxpayers should continue to subsidise employers via Universal Credit and tax credits rather than ask business to pay its employees?

Interesting that you believe that a businesses costs should be borne by the taxpayer, but their profits should be private. Jeff Bezos agrees with you.

I don’t feel that the wages offered in the previous example took any account of anti-social hours or (depending on location) the possible unavailability of public transport to get the employee home at the end of their shift. You can’t expect someone earning £9.50 an hour to be running a car if they’ve got living costs as well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I don't have any sympathy, none. They could always raise wages, that's one way to attract staff and it would also help with the cost of living crisis you referenced. If your business is dependent on cheap ignorant foreign labour to function then its not a desirable business model for the UK in my view and I hope they go bust.
:facepalm:

Higher wages adds to the cost of living crisis by increasing inflation, which in turn leads to the BoE raising interest rates. It also adds yet another fixed cost to the supplier which either means they cut the total number of staff or pass the cost on to the customer. Either could then further reduce the businesses viability by resulting in higher prices or poor service and punters not going there any more.

I was going to say I hope you don't run a business, but it's pretty obvious that you don't.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Very good point, I’d forgotten about this.

And let’s not forget Donatello does way more good to the local community than it does bad.
Massive supporters of The Chestnut Tree House, Children's Hospice and very out of character of that business, it's not right but I just offer some balance

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So you feel that businesses shouldn’t have any responsibility to pay their employees an amount they can reasonably live on?

You feel that we as taxpayers should continue to subsidise employers via Universal Credit and tax credits rather than ask business to pay its employees?

Interesting that you believe that a businesses costs should be borne by the taxpayer, but their profits should be private. Jeff Bezos agrees with you.

I don’t feel that the wages offered in the previous example took any account of anti-social hours or (depending on location) the possible unavailability of public transport to get the employee home at the end of their shift. You can’t expect someone earning £9.50 an hour to be running a car if they’ve got living costs as well.
Er, no. I didn’t suggest any of this …..and you know this.

You have a very weird grasp of logic/comprehension/whatever. You propose something in one paragraph, then use this as fact in the next.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Er, no. I didn’t suggest any of this …..and you know this.

You have a very weird grasp of logic/comprehension/whatever. You propose something in one paragraph, then use this as fact in the next.

At an absolute minimum you’re happy for the link between wages and employees being able to afford their living costs to be broken, or you wouldn’t be defending Mr “long shifts, unsociable hours, £9.50ph”

I assumed the rest of it followed, but accept that I could have misconstrued.

Higher wages are inflationary as GB has pointed out, but in this instance the inflation is happening anyway, so wage rises are necessary and inevitable, despite the fact they will add fuel to the fire.

Most people are willing to grit their teeth and slog through as long it leaves their bills paid. When work stops paying the bills, and everything’s sliding down the tubes anyway, then I completely understand people turning away.

We’ve allowed greed to break what I would have called benevolent capitalism, and we’re now back at “be thankful you’ve got a job to go to, even if it doesn’t cover the cost of basic accommodation” while the benefits accrue entirely to an overclass who (while some work very hard) don’t have to lift a finger for the profits to roll right in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Quick question to everyone saying it's their own fault for employing overseas staff.
How many on here would work long shifts or even any shifts finishing at 23:00 for £9.50 an hour?
If you say yes give me a call because I couldn't find any last summer and will be the same next summer.
in my youth i got less than that, accounting for inflation. thats the trouble with minimum wage breaks the supply/demand model and at the margin people will pick and chose, go for the easier work.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
At an absolute minimum you’re happy for the link between wages and employees being able to afford their living costs to be broken, or you wouldn’t be defending Mr “long shifts, unsociable hours, £9.50ph”

I assumed the rest of it followed, but accept that I could have misconstrued.

Higher wages are inflationary as GB has pointed out, but in this instance the inflation is happening anyway, so wage rises are necessary and inevitable, despite the fact they will add fuel to the fire.

Most people are willing to grit their teeth and slog through as long it leaves their bills paid. When work stops paying the bills, and everything’s sliding down the tubes anyway, then I completely understand people turning away.

We’ve allowed greed to break what I would have called benevolent capitalism, and we’re now back at “be thankful you’ve got a job to go to, even if it doesn’t cover the cost of basic accommodation” while the benefits accrue entirely to an overclass who (while some work very hard) don’t have to lift a finger for the profits to roll right in.
Your "overclass" comment is miles out. When I started my business I sold my car, used my entire life savings and borrowed against my studio flat. I was the lowest paid for the first five years and didn't get wages at all for 18 months, if it had gone tits up nobody would've bailed me out so I took a massive risk. With such risk, sometimes, comes reward, not just for the boss but sometimes the team in development, wages, bonuses and exceptionally in equity. Yes I did very well when it sold, but the journey was a killer, long hours, worry, risk, unplanned social & economic impact and missed school events, holidays, weddings and family events, it's not easy starting or running a business.

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Your "overclass" comment is miles out. When I started my business I sold my car, used my entire life savings and borrowed against my studio flat. I was the lowest paid for the first five years and didn't get wages at all for 18 months, if it had gone tits up nobody would've bailed me out so I took a massive risk. With such risk, sometimes, comes reward, not just for the boss but sometimes the team in development, wages, bonuses and exceptionally in equity. Yes I did very well when it sold, but the journey was a killer, long hours, worry, risk, unplanned social & economic impact and missed school events, holidays, weddings and family events, it's not easy starting or running a business.

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments on starting up solo, one of the toughest things in the world without backing (whether that be institutional or a family able to support)

I started writing a fuller response to this but it turned into an essay, so let me just say I’m not suggesting every business owner is part of a sinister overclass. However, while in your case the businesses success was shared between employers and employees, in many cases the share of success apportioned to the employer seems to have grown significantly since the 2008 crisis, and the share apportioned to the employee, to have shrunk correspondingly.

Inequality is bad for business.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In the circumstances I would hope that the licensing panel, thank the HO immigration team for their recommendations and promptly ignore them.

Besides this is only a temporary glitch, we should be seeing an end to illegal immigration any day now, based on government priorities.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In the circumstances I would hope that the licensing panel, thank the HO immigration team for their recommendations and promptly ignore them.

Besides this is only a temporary glitch, we should be seeing an end to illegal immigration any day now, based on government priorities.
The article said the workers had visas, but the wrong sort of visas for the restaurant work.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
All of bit of a witch hunt really, compounded by the usual Argus tabloid coverage, especially in light of what the family have endured in the last couple of years.

I'm sure there are countless individuals and companies in and around the City flouting more rules and breaking more laws.

Error, oversight whatever, hopefully commonsense will prevail, and they can get back to running this well loved local business, inside the Government regulations.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All of bit of a witch hunt really, compounded by the usual Argus tabloid coverage, especially in light of what the family have endured in the last couple of years.

I'm sure there are countless individuals and companies in and around the City flouting more rules and breaking more laws.

Error, oversight whatever, hopefully commonsense will prevail, and they can get back to running this well loved local business, inside the Government regulations.
The fact all six workers were on the pay roll, and paying tax and NI, suggests it was a mistake. This is also a business which has historically done more good for the community than bad. I really hope the HO and licensing people get their priorities right on this and give them a second chance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The fact all six workers were on the pay roll, and paying tax and NI, suggests it was a mistake. This is also a business which has historically done more good for the community than bad. I really hope the HO and licensing people get their priorities right on this and give them a second chance.
It was a mistake because there are different sorts of work visas. The article said that in the turmoil of Sue's death, another staff member employed the six people but their visas were seasonal. English wasn't the first language. The Defence is in the Argus article.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Read the article and if it is accurate hope the right thing is done i.e. small or no fine and also keep their license.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Moshimo have repeatedly said since brexit they’re being targeted by the home office over works, a lot of checks, being made to do training about overseas workers but generally getting no support / guidance.

It’s a shit show now

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I genuinely hope that the family are recognised for the wonderful work they have done for the community, great affordable nights out for the people of Brighton and employment for many 100’s of people across their restaurants, they have suffered a tragedy beyond belief and deserve no more. Good luck to everyone at Donotello

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Moshimo have repeatedly said since brexit they’re being targeted by the home office over works, a lot of checks, being made to do training about overseas workers but generally getting no support / guidance.

It’s a shit show now
When I read stuff like this I just dispair. f*** up the economy, dont provide any guidance to help businesses and then go after them. What is the purpose of this government and the HO?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here