Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Boxing Day is better than Christmas Day

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yesterday I got The Times Cricket Grounds of the World book as one of my presents. Each major ground comes with a reprint of The Times report from an iconic day or match that took place there.

Guess what they chose for the MCG?
I would say the 1982 Test should have that crown. England won by 3 runs to keep the series alive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Agreed.

Tomorrow is my "Boxing Day" - I don't have to go anywhere at all. Home all day other than the dog walks.

Yesterday I was at my mum's all day and because of her age and ailments, I did all the cooking. But, before that I took the dog for a long walk over the Downs pre-dawn as I wanted to be back before my son woke up to see what had been left for him. When we got back from my mum's around 10:30pm, I then took the dog out on the Downs again, meaning the first time I really sat down was just before midnight.

Today I was up early to walk the dog again, then took him to my Mum's who was looking after him, back home to pick up the family and then my daughter from her mum's in East Grinstead en route to my partner's family in Essex. the M25 was, as expected, a f***ing nightmare due to all the shoppers heading for Bluewater and Lakeside. Did the whole journey in reverse, collected the dog and I've just sat down now at 11:20.

Tomorrow I'm going nowhere for no-one and I can't wait.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Had a good day today family left around midday leaving me with my dog for the rest of the day.watched all the football. Daughter is home tomorrow and were off to London to see Peter Pan Goes Wrong.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Yesterday I got The Times Cricket Grounds of the World book as one of my presents. Each major ground comes with a reprint of The Times report from an iconic day or match that took place there.

Guess what they chose for the MCG?
Times Cricket Grounds of the World my main present as well. Lots of sitting around time!

In the Australia vs. Pakistan game Convicts 318 ao. Looks like they all got in but no-one went on. Pakistan 29-0 after 14

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
‘Christmas’ is clearly just a one day party for a piss up and ’eat up‘ for some folk - why anyone who feels like that about Christmas even celebrates it at all is beyond me tbh.

At least give some thought what it’s all about (even if it’s just using the holiday period we are given to devote ourselves to family time and being ‘kind’ to the world) instead of ‘getting it all over and done with as quickly as possible in a state of inebriation and indigestion’ then rushing to ‘clear up’ the decorations - hardly the spirit imo. Mind you the local Church yesterday did no better - spending the bulk of time passing the parcel for kids, singing a few dirgey carols and then people rushing off to cook lunch without so much as a ‘hello’ - On a day in the Christian calendar that is supposed to herald peace on earth not one mention or prayer for peace for the people of Ukraine or Palestine either 😡
Please just understand and accept that we’ve all arrived at where we are via a mass of different tracks across different emotional terrain. You seem to have a very fixed idea of how people should see the world, without stopping to wonder why we don’t, and can’t, all see our lives that way. I’m not just talking about whether it’s wrong to enjoy Christmas as a non-religious break for feasting, or whether we should be praying for Palestine. I just feel the urge to say to you: "Get off my case."

Thanks.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Times Cricket Grounds of the World my main present as well. Lots of sitting around time!

In the Australia vs. Pakistan game Convicts 318 ao. Looks like they all got in but no-one went on. Pakistan 29-0 after 14
Pakistan now 131-3, looks like a close match.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I've just rebuilt a very old water pump found on our new allotment patch . . . Going to head round and investigate the tank and well it lives with, hopefully have it all fully functioning Soon. I need to make a new handle for it, but the pumps restored and works. From a little online research I think it's about 90-100 years old. As good as new inside
good bless the tinkerers

Terry Connor

Oct 21, 2022
10 mile yomp across the muddy Downs with sons #2 and #3 to watch Lewes humiliate Whitehawk on their own hillside. Great away support banging the tin shed 2nd half.
Then thrashing the family at Ticket to Ride. If Utd had lost, would've been the perfect Boxing Day.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Treating today as my Boxing Day as was hosting / cooking yesterday. a”After my trip to the tip at 10am I will mostly be doing anything that requires effort

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Love Boxing Day, I always have. Less pressure for everything to be perfect (self inflicted), longer dog walk, board games out (Risk) and let kids actually play with their presents. TV still banned until today.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Agreed.

Tomorrow is my "Boxing Day" - I don't have to go anywhere at all. Home all day other than the dog walks.

Yesterday I was at my mum's all day and because of her age and ailments, I did all the cooking. But, before that I took the dog for a long walk over the Downs pre-dawn as I wanted to be back before my son woke up to see what had been left for him. When we got back from my mum's around 10:30pm, I then took the dog out on the Downs again, meaning the first time I really sat down was just before midnight.

Today I was up early to walk the dog again, then took him to my Mum's who was looking after him, back home to pick up the family and then my daughter from her mum's in East Grinstead en route to my partner's family in Essex. the M25 was, as expected, a f***ing nightmare due to all the shoppers heading for Bluewater and Lakeside. Did the whole journey in reverse, collected the dog and I've just sat down now at 11:20.

Tomorrow I'm going nowhere for no-one and I can't wait.
Who's going to walk the dog though??

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Some cracking bowling from Rabada in the South Africa v India match earlier. The ball to get rid of Kohli was probably as close to unplayable as you'll see.
Drawing towards a close now.
Burger looks so good it feels unfair on everybody else.
Some good batting from Kohli today.
Centurion Park appears to have a tram going right past it. What a good idea.

As I write that, it is indeed now finished with a SA win.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I had to remove and unblock an 11' drop pipe .. . . Made a support frame, put it all back together just now

Need a new lid for the tank and it needs a new tap . . . .but the pumps great

Great to see it working, is the well on your plot at the allotments?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Great to see it working, is the well on your plot at the allotments?
Yes, we're moving plots tomorrow . . . It's been there years, someone remebers it running 30+ years ago . . . Seemed daft to ignore it. The area is always wet in winter but usually a desert come May. There will always be water 10 feet down.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes, we're moving plots tomorrow . . . It's been there years, someone remebers it running 30+ years ago . . . Seemed daft to ignore it. The area is always wet in winter but usually a desert come May. There will always be water 10 feet down.
You will have lots of new friends at the allotment in the summer :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here