[News] Bournemouth Beach - Major Incident Declared

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Sorry...but you are wasting your breath.
Too many have already decided that being careful isn't for them. Lots of these people were breaking lockdown weeks ago. Visiting or hosting friends and family. Private gatherings, private parties, couples meeting up secretly. This was replicated all over the country. Now we have people travelling on public transport with no face coverings. Supermarkets failing to control their own staff and the general public out and about, brushing past each other or lingering in groups.
The scenes from Bournemouth were no surprise. The arrogant and uninterested. As long as they are doing what they want to do, sod the rest of you. No behavioural change. 33 tonnes of rubbish on one beach, in one day. Someone else's job to clear it up. Discarded clothes, faeces everwhere. This is the reality in our society. No respect, no social conscience.
No thought given to the fact that some of them will cause the deaths of their parents and grandparents. Hey ho...let them have their fun in the sun.

Thanks, I fear you could be right.

There is so much to be said for discipline if I dared answered my mother or father back a strong cuff on the ear would bring back in-line and make me understand some respect. This freedom of speech has got out of hand, I worry for my grandchildren.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Will he use his chief of staff (or whatever he is) who [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] appears to be describing personally who was doing what he wanted while all ‘the people’ were locked in their homes observing the rules to write it? It’s our PM and his team that have relaxed the restrictions, go out, get some sun, stay 2m apart but other than that as long as you’re alert it’s all fine, as long as your alert.

Much of what happened at Bournemouth is the authorities not putting measures in place. Brighton is quite well structured. Public toilets are available, stewards open and close access to which section of beach depending on numbers.

Fact is packed buses and tubes are running every minute in London. It’s typical of the media we obsess about a few thousand people on a beach, when there are far more pressing matters like tracing, tracking, testing - they are the ways you get back to some normality, not having a hissy fit because of a couple of sunny days.

Great post. The authorities at Bournemouth should have been better prepared - the good weather was telegraphed well in advance, and we have a huge population of furloughed workers with kids off school who have nowhere else to go. It was BOUND to happen.

The drone shots of the beaches, even at Bournemouth, show it’s very busy, but most groups/couples etc are still clearly at least 1-2m apart. A crowded beach like this isn’t going to lead to a spike.

I am not sure if you are being serious or not, but I do need to tell you what my scientist's friend told me. If you want to pop to the shop just for a bag of sugar, then don't, take your tea without sugar, and have a biscuit with it instead. Every time you get within people the risk is there.

A vaccine or a cure is the only real alternatives to stop this, the second wave is coming according to him, initially from all those protests, the top-up wave will come from the beaches, this will follow this in 21 to 28 days.

You may not want to listen to the advice being given, but these are wise words from people who know what they are talking about, so please inform your, young friends, that they are potentially adding to the death toll.

Meantime stay safe.

There is more risk of picking up the virus at the shops than on a crowded beach.......but the science shows the current infection rate to be something like 1 in 1700 people (down from 1 in 400 at the peak I believe) so your chances of encountering someone with it there are very small. Add good hand hygeine and you’re minimising the risk still further.

Why do you think a new peak will come from crowded beaches ? We’ve seen nothing at all from VE Day or BLM protest marches where the abuse of SD rules was much worse than sitting on the beach. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a localised spike in Liverpool from the hordes of hugging scousers though.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Sorry, but a day at Bournemouth beach is insignificant compared to buses, tubes and trains running every day in the capital. Even if the tube is at 50% of normal capacity, that is 1 million people per day in confined internal spaces with recycled air, surfaces to be touched. And you or your scientist friend are saying it's more significant that outside in the sunshine a few thousand people at the beach for a day or 2 are going to have a more significant impact? I really can't see it.

Sorry, but what he is saying is all unnecessary lack of social distancing is just causing a bigger problem, the scientists have calculated a flattening of infection because of the return to work, but protests, parties, fans celebration in large groups and mass gatherings on beaches were not expected and not in the model.
I am not sure of your age but please think of your parent's and grandparent's health when pursuing unnecessary risks, that all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry, but what he is saying is all unnecessary lack of social distancing is just causing a bigger problem, the scientists have calculated a flattening of infection because of the return to work, but protests, parties, fans celebration in large groups and mass gatherings on beaches were not expected and not in the model.
I am not sure of your age but please think of your parent's and grandparent's health when pursuing unnecessary risks, that all.

Yes I have been observing all the restrictions, more so than some of the scientists, medical experts and politicians thanks. And haven’t seen my parents and they their grandkids for 3 months. So enough with your guilt-tripping emotional nonsense too. Think of your parents, bloodyhell.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Great post. The authorities at Bournemouth should have been better prepared - the good weather was telegraphed well in advance, and we have a huge population of furloughed workers with kids off school who have nowhere else to go. It was BOUND to happen.

The drone shots of the beaches, even at Bournemouth, show it’s very busy, but most groups/couples etc are still clearly at least 1-2m apart. A crowded beach like this isn’t going to lead to a spike.

There is more risk of picking up the virus at the shops than on a crowded beach.......but the science shows the current infection rate to be something like 1 in 1700 people (down from 1 in 400 at the peak I believe) so your chances of encountering someone with it there are very small. Add good hand hygeine and you’re minimising the risk still further.

Why do you think a new peak will come from crowded beaches ? We’ve seen nothing at all from VE Day or BLM protest marches where the abuse of SD rules was much worse than sitting on the beach. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a localised spike in Liverpool from the hordes of hugging scousers though.

These marches of which you speak of will be affecting infection rates as I type this, it will be multiplying and the figures will be on the increase during the next 7 to 10 days.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Yes I have been observing all the restrictions, more so than some of the scientists, medical experts and politicians thanks. And haven’t seen my parents and they their grandkids for 3 months. So enough with your guilt-tripping emotional nonsense too. Think of your parents, bloodyhell.

Sorry, I am only trying to help you.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Very well said.

This. I dont normally subscribe to conspiracy theories but this one is plausible. While I understand the need for notice to busnesses in advance of changes so they can prepare I will never understand why they announced the relaxation of individuals restrictions in advance. Could have been done on the day.

Alternatively, given this showers record could just be sheer incompetence!🤔

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Much of what happened at Bournemouth is the authorities not putting measures in place. Brighton is quite well structured. Public toilets are available, stewards open and close access to which section of beach depending on numbers..

What makes you think Bournemouth didn’t put similar measures in place?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Warning: long post which contains both politics and positivity.

I understand the emotions behind this. Believe me I do. It's not good to see people acting as though the virus has gone away, especially if you are vulnerable, or people close to you.

And I have little comprehension of why anyone would want to be on a beach that crowded, in 30 degrees while a virus is still in circulation. Or why anyone would think it's OK to walk off and leave their crap (literally in some cases) behind.

But. It's important also to understand what's going on here and what the real situation is, rather than what we are being invited to think by a media with an agenda.

First of all - as the photo's from [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] show, the photo of crowding on that beach was very deliberately manipulated. The question is why? In reality, the rsks of transmission would have been very low. And we are only being shown the very worst. All over the UK I am sure there were beaches and areas of countryside where people visisted, behaved sensibly and cleaned up after themselves. But that isn't news.

While I know there's a lot of mess being left behind, that's largely the same mess that usually gets deposited in hedgerows by the roadside across our contryside. A small number of people are just awful. We already knew that. And as discussed above, UK is not unique in that regard.I have travelled a lot, and lived in many countries and cultures. People really aren't that different anywhere (despite what we keep being told). A few are ********s, most are essentially decent.

Is there a second wave coming? Maybe. But there is no reason to think it is inevitable. What we are seeing so far in other countries and regions that have been hard hit, and largely come out the other side, is localised outbreaks. I would have much preferred it had we locked down sooner and kept going a bit longer. It would have ensured we had lower levels of infection and we'd be in a better place to manage things going forward. So yes, I am nervous.

But things are definitely far better than they could be. Infection rates are sufficently low that individual risk right now is minimal. We are testing at a far higher level than ever, and have capacity to do even more. We have some sort of track and trace system going. The outcomes for hospitalized patients is far far better than it was, as we learn to manage and treat the disease better. New treatments are in active development and there are genuine hopes of a vaccine being available within 6 months.

Now, all this is despite, rather than because of, one of the most heroically incompetent governments it is possible to imagine (with exception of our orange friend across the pond). They could hardly have handled this worse, in almost every regard. Not least the whole PR fiasco of Cummings and spending nearly a million quid on painting an aeroplane at a time when so many are struggling to survive financially (and when we should all be thinking about how we are going to fly less in future). We are only in the position we are in because of the tireless work of dedicated public servants, especially health and care workers.

So it's pretty clear what the agenda is for the government and media. Distract attention from the government's incompetence by shifting blame onto the 'people'. Especially all those poor people, that haven't got gardens so have flocked to the beach in reponse to the deliberately vague guidelines.

How quickly we forget that just a few weeks ago this country came together, with the vast majority of people following the rules, locking down, often at personal cost, and working TOGETHER to support our front line health staff and to protect those most vulnerable.

We have't become a different country in a month. But for the protection of Boris and chums, the 'story' needs to be changed.
Don't fall for it.

Excellent post.

New COVID outbreaks are stemming from indoors such as the various meat processing factories in Germany, Wales & USA and the colossal Beijing food market.

There is a considerable movement in the press and government to blame the people.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I am not sure if you are being serious or not, but I do need to tell you what my scientist's friend told me. If you want to pop to the shop just for a bag of sugar, then don't, take your tea without sugar, and have a biscuit with it instead. Every time you get within people the risk is there.

A vaccine or a cure is the only real alternatives to stop this, the second wave is coming according to him, initially from all those protests, the top-up wave will come from the beaches, this will follow this in 21 to 28 days.

You may not want to listen to the advice being given, but these are wise words from people who know what they are talking about, so please inform your, young friends, that they are potentially adding to the death toll.

Meantime stay safe.

You do have an extremely patronising tone.

To be honest I'd rather see and hear what my partner tells me working on a Covid ward day in day out that what a scientist's friend says. I can guarantee that I could find you a friend of another scientist who will tell you something completely different.

I have no idea if a second wave is coming or not. No one does, so to just decide that something is going to happen based on what someone's friend tells you is driving a fear factor which is completely unnecessary at the moment.

This is all about being sensible amidst a very nasty virus. people on the beach were clearly stupid and irresponsible - but if a need a bag of sugar I'm going to go to my corner shop and buy one - not stay at home petrified of what might happen if I go out. And where am I supposed to get my biscuits from anyway?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What makes you think Bournemouth didn’t put similar measures in place?

They had their warning at the start of June when it got crowded and that was before some restrictions were relaxed. They kept all car parks close to beaches open, with no stewarding from the station either. They basically just allowed the trains to arrive, cars to park, then start asking who left the gate open because the horses have gone, again.

The narrative is being slowly manipulated to blame ‘the people’, the youth also being unfairly targeted by the media and social media.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
You do have an extremely patronising tone.

To be honest I'd rather see and hear what my partner tells me working on a Covid ward day in day out that what a scientist's friend says. I can guarantee that I could find you a friend of another scientist who will tell you something completely different.

I have no idea if a second wave is coming or not. No one does, so to just decide that something is going to happen based on what someone's friend tells you is driving a fear factor which is completely unnecessary at the moment.

This is all about being sensible amidst a very nasty virus. people on the beach were clearly stupid and irresponsible - but if a need a bag of sugar I'm going to go to my corner shop and buy one - not stay at home petrified of what might happen if I go out. And where am I supposed to get my biscuits from anyway?

Ye but be careful crossing the road

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Meantime stay safe.

Funny how we all have medics as friends. I have a number, i also have dealings with some through my work.
General consensus is that whilst a second wave may occur (some believe it will, others dont) it’s is very likely to be much less severe and more in line with flu. To a man and women they believe schools and universities will be back and footy will be played in front of full stadiums by October.

WRT the demo’s etc. We should have seen the fallout by now. The issue with beaches is not being on them but how they got there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So, will the conditions for virus spread be better today with people looking to go shopping, taking buses and trains etc. on a dull rainy day, than people 2m apart on a beach outside in the sunshine?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Funny how we all have medics as friends. I have a number, i also have dealings with some through my work.
General consensus is that whilst a second wave may occur (some believe it will, others dont) it’s is very likely to be much less severe and more in line with flu. To a man and women they believe schools and universities will be back and footy will be played in front of full stadiums by October.

WRT the demo’s etc. We should have seen the fallout by now. The issue with beaches is not being on them but how they got there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aye...but dont forget the litter

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Excellent post.

New COVID outbreaks are stemming from indoors such as the various meat processing factories in Germany, Wales & USA and the colossal Beijing food market.

There is a considerable movement in the press and government to blame the people.

I am not in the press or the Government and I am blaming people. The reason is that it is people that transmit viruses to other people. My wife and I have isolated for months and our sacrifice is being put at risk by selfish people who believe they are not a risk because that is what they want to believe. That includes protestors, football fans, young people at street parties, beach goers etc etc. The only way to eradicate the virus seems to be for it to fade away but that isn’t happening. So yes, I am blaming people. Attempts to politicize this by the usual suspects are a little opportunistic and are fueling people’s disregard for common sense. Shame really.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports