[News] Bournemouth Beach - Major Incident Declared

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So, will the conditions for virus spread be better today with people looking to go shopping, taking buses and trains etc. on a dull rainy day, than people 2m apart on a beach outside in the sunshine?

Absolutely.

However, we've not been to shops yet, have no intention of going today nor any time in the near future. Now, whilst I get these actions (or lack of action) aren't very good for UK PLC, we just don't want to be part of increasing the likelihood of virus spread if we can help it. There's nothing we need from shops, so we're not going to go.

Our old routine on a day like today may well have seen us head to Brighton, mooch a few shops and then grab some food in Yo! or Wagamama. Even if those places were open again, I just can't see we'd be doing what we used to do, and I can't imagine we will for some time.

My concern, based largely on what is happening in many US states, is what will happen once pubs and restaurants open their doors. We'll not be in any rush at all to eat out.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Absolutely.

However, we've not been to shops yet, have no intention of going today nor any time in the near future. Now, whilst I get these actions (or lack of action) aren't very good for UK PLC, we just don't want to be part of increasing the likelihood of virus spread if we can help it. There's nothing we need from shops, so we're not going to go.

Our old routine on a day like today may well have seen us head to Brighton, mooch a few shops and then grab some food in Yo! or Wagamama. Even if those places were open again, I just can't see we'd be doing what we used to do, and I can't imagine we will for some time.

My concern, based largely on what is happening in many US states, is what will happen once pubs and restaurants open their doors. We'll not be in any rush at all to eat out.

Which is all bad news for a large sector of the economy/livelihoods (and that’s not aimed at you)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I know, I know.

We have tried to support, and will continue, with take-outs and delivery services etc.

Sorry I amended my post just as you replied ..it wasn’t at you ..it was a general comment..because there are a heck of a lot of people who are feeling the same way going from what I’ve read and that’s not judging them either

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I wasn’t posing the question as to why..that was obvious

Understood. I just think America is currently learning the lesson we are discussing. Too many political conspiracy theorists are fueling a surge in infection rates and a few on here seem to be of a similar ilk. I don’t mean you as I know you are simply pointing out the reality of the effects on the economy.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am not in the press or the Government and I am blaming people. The reason is that it is people that transmit viruses to other people. My wife and I have isolated for months and our sacrifice is being put at risk by selfish people who believe they are not a risk because that is what they want to believe. That includes protestors, football fans, young people at street parties, beach goers etc etc. The only way to eradicate the virus seems to be for it to fade away but that isn’t happening. So yes, I am blaming people. Attempts to politicize this by the usual suspects are a little opportunistic and are fueling people’s disregard for common sense. Shame really.

Happy for you to share evidence of Covid outbreaks from demonstrations in places like Brighton or Bournemouth where beach overcrowding has been reported.

I’ve seen countless reports about large scale infection from places indoors but very few studies or reports of people catching it outside. Where are these?

I really don’t understand why criticism of the Government is seen as politicising things. With the exception of the furlough scheme, pretty much every decision they have made appears to have been the wrong one. Even elements of the right wing press (Times, Mail, Telegraph) have been slating the current administration. This is not Labour vs Tories, this is about having the worst Prime Minister for a pandemic. There are dozens of Tories who would have handled this well, you just have to follow the options of Mr Stewart to see that thousands upon thousands of lives would have been saved under his hypothetical Tory Government.

The thing most people can’t stomach is when Mr Johnson declares how proud he is of the Government’s reaction and what a brilliant job they are doing. He is openly lying at every PMQs now, don’t you find that a little concerning?

You blame the public all you like. Even if you believe that Covid-19 is spreading rapidly amongst protestors and beach goers, your willingness to not hold the Government accountable for putting a stop to that (and they voted through draconian powers in parliament to allow them to do this) is worrying.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I am not in the press or the Government and I am blaming people. The reason is that it is people that transmit viruses to other people. My wife and I have isolated for months and our sacrifice is being put at risk by selfish people who believe they are not a risk because that is what they want to believe. That includes protestors, football fans, young people at street parties, beach goers etc etc. The only way to eradicate the virus seems to be for it to fade away but that isn’t happening. So yes, I am blaming people. Attempts to politicize this by the usual suspects are a little opportunistic and are fueling people’s disregard for common sense. Shame really.

Government is very much to blame. Their appalling lack of a plan for the care home system bears this out. We all saw how the elderly in Spain and Italy were affected by the virus. Both countries stated ‘protect the elderly’, our government sanctioned sending untested hospital patients back to care homes. Death in care homes amounts to around 40% of deaths. That is criminal behaviour in my book. The lack of a bollocking for Cummings was also a critical mistake.
As has been mentioned this is not about Tory or labour. This is about incompetence pure a simple! The fact that it happens to be a Tory government is neither here nor there, it is about the idiots in charge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The problem is that the higher and longer the peak of the virus and higher the associated excess fatalities is, the greater the impact (I know, stating the bleeding obvious). But, unfortunately the impact is two fold.

The length of the peak means that there has already been a big hit on the economy and some people are more desperate to get out and 'back to normal' (I'm not justifying people who are not social distancing, it's simply an observation). This then increases the risk of 'flare-ups' and a second wave and the situation continuing.

Meanwhile others will look at the excess fatalities and consider the risk too great and will be far more reserved about any lifting of restrictions and this, in turn, also brings a greater risk to the economy.

The simple fact is that having had one of the worst Covid outcomes in Europe, we now run a bigger risk of further outbreaks and a bigger hit to the economy.

And it looks like the US, sadly haven't learnt anything from looking at what has happened in other countries :down:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The beach is by far the least likely of those to result in transmission. Outdoors, in the heat and people largely at least 1m apart - all factors that minimise the risk.....yet it's all over the press (using misleading photos) and being used by the Government to blame the people.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I am generally fairly liberal in my approach to things but as i get older I honestly think we are too soft as a society and taking too many of the soft options to avoid conflict with people who really are f*cking it up for everyone else. Brighton council should employ 10-20 bouncers to enforce rules on safe distancing, drinking in public and littering (or even use fly tipping rule for a bigger fine). It keeps the bouncers employed (tick), it would keep the town cleaner ( tick) it will keep the town safer (tick).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am generally fairly liberal in my approach to things but as i get older I honestly think we are too soft as a society and taking too many of the soft options to avoid conflict with people who really are f*cking it up for everyone else. Brighton council should employ 10-20 bouncers to enforce rules on safe distancing, drinking in public and littering (or even use fly tipping rule for a bigger fine). It keeps the bouncers employed (tick), it would keep the town cleaner ( tick) it will keep the town safer (tick).

Brighton on the whole has been very well behaved, social distancing has been well observed, there are ‘beach stewards’ ensuring beach areas are not overcrowded, shutting some access and directing people to less crowded parts.

Litter has been a problem forever and a day, but we should all take responsibility for the throw away culture we have created for decades in terms of cheap food and packaging. Our choices collectively all have an impact whether you go down the beach and leave a plastic bottle or not.

Our city earns huge tourist revenues and yet has a woeful record with refuse and recycling. The long term deal with Veola is a huge joke that we cannot get out of. You can exit the beach with your litter and find no where to dispose of it, there is no strategy. On a hot day their should be several collections a day if necessary, temporary refuse points if necessary. If your main income is tourism, pay to keep your main asset clean and tidy. Blaming ‘folk’ is not the answer. Most will do the decent thing if it is reasonably easy to do so.

60 years ago youths were smashing the place up with deck chairs and anything they could get their hands on. We’re now having the Argus going into hand wringing meltdown because the youths leave some litter on Hove Lawns.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
They had their warning at the start of June when it got crowded and that was before some restrictions were relaxed. They kept all car parks close to beaches open, with no stewarding from the station either. They basically just allowed the trains to arrive, cars to park, then start asking who left the gate open because the horses have gone, again.

The narrative is being slowly manipulated to blame ‘the people’, the youth also being unfairly targeted by the media and social media.

Let’s just say that I could argue with all those points but it’s not really worth the effort, you seem to know exactly what went on in Bournemouth on Wednesday and Thursday and how BCP dealt with things.

Let me reword my question slightly differently. What did Brighton council do that BCP didn’t?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Let’s just say that I could argue with all those points but it’s not really worth the effort, you seem to know exactly what went on in Bournemouth on Wednesday and Thursday and how BCP dealt with things.

Let me reword my question slightly differently. What did Brighton council do that BCP didn’t?

After the issue with the end of May bank Holiday, where Brighton did experience some disorder, they’ve implemented beach stewards that monitor the beaches and try to guide arriving visitors to quieter areas of beach by closing access points and using signage / stewarding. If you look at Bozza’s drone shot of the same day at one of the busiest areas of Brighton beach opposite the Grande, it’s well spaced out and not over crowded. A wider shot would show this spacing was achieved from the Marina down to Portslade Basin. The seems at the end of May / start of June were not repeated.

Perhaps we’ll see if I’m talking crap or not if Brighton experiences a spike this time next week. However it seems the council have acted positively in managing this.

I should ask as a resident are you happy with how BCP dealt with it or prepared?

Last edited:

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
After the issue with the end of May bank Holiday, where Brighton did experience some disorder, they’ve implemented beach stewards that monitor the beaches and try to guide arriving visitors to quieter areas of beach by closing access points and using signage / stewarding. If you look at Bozza’s drone shot of the same day at one of the busiest areas of Brighton beach opposite the Grande, it’s well spaced out and not over crowded. A wider shot would show this spacing was achieved from the Marina down to Portslade Basin. The seems at the end of May / start of June were not repeated.

Perhaps we’ll see if I’m talking crap or not if Brighton experiences a spike this time next week. However it seems the council have acted positively in managing this.

I should ask as a resident are you happy with how BCP dealt with it or prepared?

Bournemouth employs stewards although they are called Seafront Rangers.

So what else did Brighton do that Bournemouth didn’t?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I live near the Thames, with some stunning beautiful rolling countryside. Truly AONB.

Every night but especially last night, hoardes of youth and early 20s have descended to ‘party’, arriving from local towns in our village by taxis and train to then literally trash the place. There were fights in Marina and vandalism too. It is heartbreaking. The litter left behind is unbelievable and myself and a small army of volunteers are out there clearing it up. The land is actually National Trust, (but free for all) there are signs saying no barb qs etc. All ignored. It’s now so bad that yesterday a seemingly para vigilante group has been formed by locals to stop it happening. The footbridge is an easy to defend ‘block’ position being considered To stop people crossing to the large moor and River ‘beach’. People are sick and tired of the liberties being taken. Police do nothing so people are now taking action themselves seemingly. Half a mind to go and join them. something has to be done. Can’t blame em.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Why don’t you just say what Bournemouth did and give an opinion? :shrug:

Because you clearly said that much of what happened at Bournemouth is the authorities not putting measures in place and then went onto say that Brighton is quite well structured. That led me to ask what were the measures that Brighton Council put in place, that BCP failed to do which, to be fair, remains unanswered. :shrug:

As you have noted, I live down here and would welcome any suggestions that could be put to our council to prevent a reoccurrence of last weeks scenes. :)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Brighton on the whole has been very well behaved, social distancing has been well observed, there are ‘beach stewards’ ensuring beach areas are not overcrowded, shutting some access and directing people to less crowded parts.

Litter has been a problem forever and a day, but we should all take responsibility for the throw away culture we have created for decades in terms of cheap food and packaging. Our choices collectively all have an impact whether you go down the beach and leave a plastic bottle or not.

Our city earns huge tourist revenues and yet has a woeful record with refuse and recycling. The long term deal with Veola is a huge joke that we cannot get out of. You can exit the beach with your litter and find no where to dispose of it, there is no strategy. On a hot day their should be several collections a day if necessary, temporary refuse points if necessary. If your main income is tourism, pay to keep your main asset clean and tidy. Blaming ‘folk’ is not the answer. Most will do the decent thing if it is reasonably easy to do so.

60 years ago youths were smashing the place up with deck chairs and anything they could get their hands on. We’re now having the Argus going into hand wringing meltdown because the youths leave some litter on Hove Lawns.

well behaved, really people pissing and defecating in public is hardly my idea of well behaved. Possibly relatively better than some places but not acceptable.

Yes we should all accept our own social responsibilities regarding not littering but clearly there are some (or more than some) who don't and they need to be made an example off so our rates and taxes can be spent on something more productive than clearing litter.

Agree with the need to improve on bins and the waste collection but as you say it is down to individuals to be responsible and if a bin is full NOT to just leave it on the ground.

the fact that 60 years ago people used fight in public does not make it acceptable to do so now.

I am not blaming 'folk' i saying we need to be stronger on those who ruin it for 'folk'...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports