Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Bournemouth Beach - Major Incident Declared

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Let’s just say that I could argue with all those points but it’s not really worth the effort, you seem to know exactly what went on in Bournemouth on Wednesday and Thursday and how BCP dealt with things.

Let me reword my question slightly differently. What did Brighton council do that BCP didn’t?

As I posted earlier different situations so different solutions. One thing that did surprise me was that BCP didn’t restrict the car parks. As an example because Brighton & Hove’s tips are shite in comparison, Adur & Worthing now require proof of address to use their tips. BCP could easily have said all car parks giving access to t he beach required proof of local address. Probably other measures that could have reduced the volume. Perhaps advertising quieter beaches further away from the main Bournemouth beach, use diversion signs etc. It doesn’t seem like rocket science to me to have anticipated the crowds when the heat wave was known well in advance and we’d had a precursor a month before.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
well behaved, really people pissing and defecating in public is hardly my idea of well behaved. Possibly relatively better than some places but not acceptable.

Yes we should all accept our own social responsibilities regarding not littering but clearly there are some (or more than some) who don't and they need to be made an example off so our rates and taxes can be spent on something more productive than clearing litter.

Agree with the need to improve on bins and the waste collection but as you say it is down to individuals to be responsible and if a bin is full NOT to just leave it on the ground.

the fact that 60 years ago people used fight in public does not make it acceptable to do so now.

I am not blaming 'folk' i saying we need to be stronger on those who ruin it for 'folk'...

I bet 1 person probably had a shit somewhere, a few people were pissed and 2 or 3 people had a fight. There’s always idiots right, they should be throwing plastic cheers at the Euros right now, but instead they’re on the beach. Is it lots of people, really, or were most people well behaved, had a sensible time, 2m apart and just had a nice day with their family. I’m not judging based on an hysterical click hungry media.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
from the clips i have seen it was more than a few . one issue a couple of weeks ago when there were a group of about 30 who had been pissing against a wall at the back of the beach where there were lots of families. But that is only on aspect there is a lot of litter being left including lots of broken glass, to me that's not acceptable a heavy presence to deter that and fine accordingly would be enough to think twice next time. Its not about stopping people going to the beach , its about making that experience good for all.

Totally agree that bins are nt adequate but also clear that a lot of people not even trying to use them...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I bet 1 person probably had a shit somewhere, a few people were pissed and 2 or 3 people had a fight. There’s always idiots right, they should be throwing plastic cheers at the Euros right now, but instead they’re on the beach. Is it lots of people, really, or were most people well behaved, had a sensible time, 2m apart and just had a nice day with their family. I’m not judging based on an hysterical click hungry media.

So is that what happened or not ? From the testimony I heard from volunteers trying to manage the crowds you are a long way from the truth. The problem is your view is also the one held in the Trump states. They also do not believe in ‘fake news’ and hate the media. They are seeing a big increase in infections.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Blimey, you sound like someone with a leaflet at the front door with a picture of peace and tranquility on it. Scary.

I am not sure I deserved this when all I do is try to help.
If you don't choose to believe me, I understand, but to open one's lugholes is always useful. I will leave you to continue in whatever your mission is.
Have a nice evening.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Happy for you to share evidence of Covid outbreaks from demonstrations in places like Brighton or Bournemouth where beach overcrowding has been reported.

I’ve seen countless reports about large scale infection from places indoors but very few studies or reports of people catching it outside. Where are these?

I really don’t understand why criticism of the Government is seen as politicising things. With the exception of the furlough scheme, pretty much every decision they have made appears to have been the wrong one. Even elements of the right wing press (Times, Mail, Telegraph) have been slating the current administration. This is not Labour vs Tories, this is about having the worst Prime Minister for a pandemic. There are dozens of Tories who would have handled this well, you just have to follow the options of Mr Stewart to see that thousands upon thousands of lives would have been saved under his hypothetical Tory Government.

The thing most people can’t stomach is when Mr Johnson declares how proud he is of the Government’s reaction and what a brilliant job they are doing. He is openly lying at every PMQs now, don’t you find that a little concerning?

You blame the public all you like. Even if you believe that Covid-19 is spreading rapidly amongst protestors and beach goers, your willingness to not hold the Government accountable for putting a stop to that (and they voted through draconian powers in parliament to allow them to do this) is worrying.

I have never defended the Government’s record. I am simply pointing out that you can only catch Covid 19 from people which is why mass gatherings of any kind increase the probability of the spread of infection. Of course you are safer outdoors than indoors but travelling on the train, walking close to people on the promenade and beach itself or on protests (both sides equally selfish) present a risk that I have chosen not to take. I think it incredibly naive to rely on Boris Johnson to tell us when it is safe to do these things. With infection and death rates as they are there is no justification for lifting lockdown.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am not sure I deserved this when all I do is try to help.
If you don't choose to believe me, I understand, but to open one's lugholes is always useful. I will leave you to continue in whatever your mission is.
Have a nice evening.

No, you’re condescending, suggesting people don’t care about their loved ones if they don’t listen to you, very close to preaching, hence the reference, and I’m not the only one to mention it to you. Maybe you should try a more open approach yourself, just a thought.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
No, you’re condescending, suggesting people don’t care about their loved ones if they don’t listen to you, very close to preaching, hence the reference, and I’m not the only one to mention it to you. Maybe you should try a more open approach yourself, just a thought.

This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So is that what happened or not ? From the testimony I heard from volunteers trying to manage the crowds you are a long way from the truth. The problem is your view is also the one held in the Trump states. They also do not believe in ‘fake news’ and hate the media. They are seeing a big increase in infections.

I made my language pretty clear I didn’t know exactly what happened by saying ‘I bet’ at the start of the sentence and didn’t call it fake news as I was including all media including social and generating hysteria rather than conspiracy. I’ve also stated that I felt authorities should and could have taken tougher measures ahead of the sunny days, Bournemouth Echo’s reporter on the scene surprised no restrictions on any of the beach car parks for example.

So throwing the Trump line at me is mildly ridiculous to be fair.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I made my language pretty clear I didn’t know exactly what happened by saying ‘I bet’ at the start of the sentence and didn’t call it fake news as I was including all media including social and generating hysteria rather than conspiracy. I’ve also stated that I felt authorities should and could have taken tougher measures ahead of the sunny days, Bournemouth Echo’s reporter on the scene surprised no restrictions on any of the beach car parks for example.

So throwing the Trump line at me is mildly ridiculous to be fair.

Sorry, I don’t mean to throw anything at you. I just think we may head the same way as America if we automatically disbelieve everything we see in ‘the media.’ It’s not difficult to exercise personal responsibility and stay away from large gatherings.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry, I don’t mean to throw anything at you. I just think we may head the same way as America if we automatically disbelieve anything we see in ‘the media.’ It’s not difficult to exercise personal responsibility and stay away from large gatherings.

Thanks, my point throughout this isn’t to say we shouldn’t be doing anything, on the contrary my point really is allowing this to just be blamed on ‘the people’ as if we can just say everyone is some kind of ‘lowlife’. I’ve said on numerous posts that authorities have a responsibility to manage their assets and ensure the safety of the public. I don’t think there is any excuse for the agencies involved to have been caught out by Wednesday and Thursday’s heatwave, even though a minority of poor behaviour has likely clouded the majority observing social distancing and being sensible.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Just glad that BCP get it all. Went to beach down the road at West Bay on Weds & Thurs and was comfortable: busy but no prob with spacing and behaviour impeccable.

Never quite sure why folk decide Bmuff & Durdle Door are the only places to go in Dorset; just glad they do...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here